Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CLT1987
    • By CLT1987 15th May 17, 9:58 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    CLT1987
    Untaxed cars
    • 15th May 17, 9:58 PM
    Untaxed cars 15th May 17 at 9:58 PM
    My neighbour has been keeping untaxed cars on his drive. New cars keep appearing pretty much every day which I thought was suspicious so I have been checking the tax status of each new one that appears with the DVLA (as I know this particular neighbour has been partial to a bit of vehicle tax avoidance himself in the past). Low and behold each new car that appears, which is pretty much one every day, does not have vehicle tax and/or MOT. I have reported each car that I have seen with no tax to the DVLA but nothing has happened. Any advice??? Because as far as I'm aware they must have a SORN even if they are kept off the road, plus they are obviously being driven to and from the property untaxed. Very strange and suspicious!!
Page 2
    • moneysaver
    • By moneysaver 17th May 17, 5:33 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    moneysaver
    Finally someone who thinks along the same lines as I do. He is not a trader he's a taxi driver who was driving around in a private hire vehicle without road tax on it for least 2 years until recently. The cars arrive and leave without trade plates. Fair enough though as pointed out he could be storing them for someone who is a trader. However it still isn't acceptable for some to flout the law and for those who adhere to it to be penalised.
    Originally posted by CLT1987
    If he is driving them to his address then puts them on a driveway he is breaking the law.
    Keep on reporting him. Sounds like scum to me.

Moneysaver
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 17th May 17, 6:10 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 1,992 Thanks
    unforeseen
    If he is driving them to his address then puts them on a driveway he is breaking the law.
    Keep on reporting him. Sounds like scum to me.

Moneysaver
    Originally posted by moneysaver
    However no action can be taken under he is actually caught on a public road at the time.
    • CLT1987
    • By CLT1987 9th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CLT1987
    Revisiting this, I have now realised where the cars are coming from. They are being stored there by a different neighbour who is selling cars from his home privately. He puts the untaxed ones on drives and plonks the others up and down the road in various locations. He is currently breaking the following legislation: s5 Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 as he is parking these cars for sale within 500m of each other. However as he is not 'advertising' them and just selling them on nothing can be done I imagine. I also find it highly unlikely that he is paying tax on his earnings either as I can't imagine that he declares the money he takes for these cash in hand (which I have witnessed). Again this is an assumption so here I am yet again open to abuse for not minding my own business and letting people go ahead and break the law. Oh well...
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 9,720 Posts
    • 6,741 Thanks
    neilmcl
    If he is indeed advertising and selling cars from the roadside then I suggest you contact your local council.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 9th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 3,071 Thanks
    Johno100
    Revisiting this, I have now realised where the cars are coming from. They are being stored there by a different neighbour who is selling cars from his home privately. He puts the untaxed ones on drives and plonks the others up and down the road in various locations. He is currently breaking the following legislation: s5 Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 as he is parking these cars for sale within 500m of each other. However as he is not 'advertising' them and just selling them on nothing can be done I imagine. I also find it highly unlikely that he is paying tax on his earnings either as I can't imagine that he declares the money he takes for these cash in hand (which I have witnessed). Again this is an assumption so here I am yet again open to abuse for not minding my own business and letting people go ahead and break the law. Oh well...
    Originally posted by CLT1987
    You got it. Mind your own business.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 9th Jul 17, 8:01 PM
    • 8,284 Posts
    • 12,551 Thanks
    worried jim
    What are you going to do?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Jul 17, 8:07 PM
    • 25,292 Posts
    • 10,037 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    When visiting the inlaws the little row of shops was a short dual carriageway with the central reservation paved. When busy cars parked on this. Cars started to appear for sale with the same phone numbers, this was before ANPR etc. The council would ticket them every now and then but they kept appearing so they started towing them away.

This stopped them for a while. But they soon returned.

Further up the road a small car yard used to park a few vehicles outside on the grass verge and they got warned because they were not taxed. They stuck a few out with trade plates but got into trouble for that also.
    Their excuse its being delivered and we are just making space didnt wash when the council guy watched it for several hours.

This is the same garage that gave me the keys and the trade plates and said off you go. I did wonder if he wanted me to steal it.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 10th Jul 17, 1:26 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    OP, you have more patience than me. If a neighbour of mine blocked my drive for longer than an hour I'd have been on the phone dialling 101 to get them moved for unnecessary obstruction.

Were you really blocked in for 3 months? Wow! The nerve of some people!

Is your name Michael Paine (as in Harry Enfield)?
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Jul 17, 7:21 AM
    • 2,392 Posts
    • 2,244 Thanks
    cjdavies
    You got it. Mind your own business.
    Originally posted by Johno100
    Must note to self, if see something e.g. a mugging, carry on walking and mind my own business.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 10th Jul 17, 7:47 AM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 3,071 Thanks
    Johno100
    Must note to self, if see something e.g. a mugging, carry on walking and mind my own business.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    A potential breach of Section 5 of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 and non-declaration of income to the tax man is hardly comparable, but you know that right?
    • mro
    • By mro 10th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 595 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    mro
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    One you know, the other you don't.
    • passatrider
    • By passatrider 10th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    passatrider
    My advice, for what it's worth.; Get on with your own life ��
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,731Posts Today

9,138Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin