Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CLT1987
    • By CLT1987 15th May 17, 9:58 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    CLT1987
    Untaxed cars
    • 15th May 17, 9:58 PM
    Untaxed cars 15th May 17 at 9:58 PM
    My neighbour has been keeping untaxed cars on his drive. New cars keep appearing pretty much every day which I thought was suspicious so I have been checking the tax status of each new one that appears with the DVLA (as I know this particular neighbour has been partial to a bit of vehicle tax avoidance himself in the past). Low and behold each new car that appears, which is pretty much one every day, does not have vehicle tax and/or MOT. I have reported each car that I have seen with no tax to the DVLA but nothing has happened. Any advice??? Because as far as I'm aware they must have a SORN even if they are kept off the road, plus they are obviously being driven to and from the property untaxed. Very strange and suspicious!!
Page 1
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 15th May 17, 10:15 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    Roland Sausage
    • 15th May 17, 10:15 PM
    • 15th May 17, 10:15 PM
    Any advice???
    Originally posted by CLT1987
    Yes. Mind your own business.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 15th May 17, 10:23 PM
    • 11,439 Posts
    • 6,396 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 15th May 17, 10:23 PM
    • 15th May 17, 10:23 PM
    When they're causing an obstruction in the road, then start complaining.

What someone does on their own driveway, their own property, has nothing to do with you, unless they're causing a genuine nuisance.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 15th May 17, 10:25 PM
    • 802 Posts
    • 1,838 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 15th May 17, 10:25 PM
    • 15th May 17, 10:25 PM
    My neighbour has been keeping untaxed cars on his drive.
    Not on the road then. As has been said mind your own business.
    ‘I’m not in favour of this new-age drippiness’ JRM
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 15th May 17, 10:28 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 15th May 17, 10:28 PM
    • 15th May 17, 10:28 PM
    My neighbour has been keeping untaxed cars on his drive. New cars keep appearing pretty much every day which I thought was suspicious so I have been checking the tax status of each new one that appears with the DVLA (as I know this particular neighbour has been partial to a bit of vehicle tax avoidance himself in the past). Low and behold each new car that appears, which is pretty much one every day, does not have vehicle tax and/or MOT. I have reported each car that I have seen with no tax to the DVLA but nothing has happened. Any advice??? Because as far as I'm aware they must have a SORN even if they are kept off the road, plus they are obviously being driven to and from the property untaxed. Very strange and suspicious!!
    Join a random forum and start a thread about it.
    • CLT1987
    • By CLT1987 16th May 17, 6:54 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CLT1987
    • 16th May 17, 6:54 AM
    • 16th May 17, 6:54 AM
    Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is that nobody is above the law. I struggle to make ends meet and provide for myself and my family but I still manage to abide by the law and pay my road tax. But as I said everyone is entitled to their own opinion so there you go!
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 16th May 17, 7:22 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 16th May 17, 7:22 AM
    • 16th May 17, 7:22 AM
    Most likely explanation is he is a motor trader who has had to temporarily move his stock from his normal pitch or he has a friend who is a trader and he is storing the stock for them.

If the cars are registered as "in trade" with dvla which you have no way of confirming they do not require tax or sorn but must be kept off the public road. They can legally be driven on trade plates for movement of stock,test drives or to take them for repairs.

Likely to be perfectly legal.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 16th May 17, 7:50 AM
    • 13,000 Posts
    • 8,225 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 16th May 17, 7:50 AM
    • 16th May 17, 7:50 AM
    How do you know he's acting illegally?
    Might have trade plates for starters
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th May 17, 8:11 AM
    • 6,049 Posts
    • 4,807 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 16th May 17, 8:11 AM
    • 16th May 17, 8:11 AM
    Try rummaging through his bins, you might find some useful information.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 16th May 17, 9:37 AM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Yes. Mind your own business.
    Originally posted by Roland Sausage
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Did you all miss the bit that said "Newbie Alert" please give a little leeway and be especially nice??
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th May 17, 10:41 AM
    • 25,434 Posts
    • 10,084 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Trade plates, returned home from the MOT station so the tax and MOT have not shown up yet.

Is it you taking pictures of my cars and writing in your little red notebook?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • CLT1987
    • By CLT1987 16th May 17, 3:59 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CLT1987
    Thank you for the only reply with a genuinely helpful answer!
    • CLT1987
    • By CLT1987 16th May 17, 4:20 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CLT1987
    Try rummaging through his bins, you might find some useful information.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Great idea, I'll get my marigolds on now!
    • CLT1987
    • By CLT1987 16th May 17, 4:22 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CLT1987
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Already done that! Anything else Mr Mc?
    • moneysaver
    • By moneysaver 16th May 17, 5:30 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    moneysaver
    If he is dodging tax, insurance or mot he should be reported. You are quite right to do so. Cannot stand fly people who do this. I pay all my stuff due on my car & it is not cheap.

There is also a chance they have no Insurance. Would any of the previous posters like to be hit by an unisured driver?

I don't care if he is a dealer as long as he is paying what is due. If he is not, report it.

Moneysaver
    Last edited by moneysaver; 16-05-2017 at 5:35 PM.
    • CLT1987
    • By CLT1987 16th May 17, 6:44 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CLT1987
    If he is dodging tax, insurance or mot he should be reported. You are quite right to do so. Cannot stand fly people who do this. I pay all my stuff due on my car & it is not cheap.

There is also a chance they have no Insurance. Would any of the previous posters like to be hit by an unisured driver?

I don't care if he is a dealer as long as he is paying what is due. If he is not, report it.

Moneysaver
    Originally posted by moneysaver
    Finally someone who thinks along the same lines as I do. He is not a trader he's a taxi driver who was driving around in a private hire vehicle without road tax on it for least 2 years until recently. The cars arrive and leave without trade plates. Fair enough though as pointed out he could be storing them for someone who is a trader. However it still isn't acceptable for some to flout the law and for those who adhere to it to be penalised.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 16th May 17, 7:07 PM
    • 4,030 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    It's not necessarily that the other posters don't agree about people who ignore the rules but - like many posters before you - you've drip-fed extra information after your first post while asking for opinions based on the incomplete story. All the earlier opinions were perfectly valid with what you'd revealed at that point.

There's also the slightly odd question of, since tax disks no longer exist, why you know that these cars are untaxed. We have several neighbours who change cars fairly regularly and, especially in summer, often have unknown cars appearing for a few days parked along the road. Not once have we felt the need, or even curiosity, to check whether any of them are taxed or not!
    • CLT1987
    • By CLT1987 16th May 17, 7:26 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CLT1987
    I checked initially because someone from his house parked an untaxed car in front of my drive for 3 months blocking me out of my own drive and has parked other untaxed cars there for a few days after that. And I knew about the taxi because the council turned up and it was on their Twitter feed about why.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 16th May 17, 8:22 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    Johno100
    • mcpitman
    • By mcpitman 17th May 17, 8:34 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    mcpitman
    I checked initially because someone from his house parked an untaxed car in front of my drive for 3 months blocking me out of my own drive and has parked other untaxed cars there for a few days after that. And I knew about the taxi because the council turned up and it was on their Twitter feed about why.
    So you are looking for revenge for someone else parking over your drive some time ago?

If the cars are on his drive, mind your own business.

If he blocks your drive (leaving the car on the street), report it to the relevant authorities.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,241Users online

Martin's Twitter