Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 15th May 17, 7:38 PM
    • 539Posts
    • 777Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    Diesel?
    • 15th May 17, 7:38 PM
    Diesel? 15th May 17 at 7:38 PM
    Apologies for another car question!
    Would any of you buy a diesel at the moment? A few years old....
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
Page 3
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 18th May 17, 11:28 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    All fossil fuel burning vehicles are on their way out. Its only a matter of time. However as long as there are petrol cars there will be diesel cars too.

Diesel should never have been the default choice for fuel type that it had become and if we're seeing that rebalance back to those who get a financial advantage from running on it then great.

If you're doing 10-12,000 miles a year then you should never have been driving a diesel in the first place.

Thats evidence of re-education, not that diesel is "on its way out".
    Originally posted by motorguy

I think that is too much on a generalization and imo really only applies if you are buying expensive newish cars (under 5 years old).

I used to do one 150 (75 mile & return) mile journey a week plus a few short journeys (so about 9,000 miles a year)

At 35mpg - that's 256 gallons of petrol
    at 55mpg - that's 164 gallons of diesel

At £5.00 a gallon (£1.10 a litre) - that's a saving of £460 a year
    Plus £100 cheaper tax

Those savings more than counteract the increase maintenance costs and the increase cost of purchase cost of a second hand diesel (I paid £500 over the insurance value of my 7 year polo, to replace with a very similar polo in diesel)

I now do 18,000 miles a year, so very glad I changed!
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 22/49 (3/12/16)

Restarted 8/05/17 - 41lbs to lose (Managed to put 1 stone on in 4 months!) Progress 6/41 (13/05/17)
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 18th May 17, 11:30 AM
    • 7,020 Posts
    • 11,561 Thanks
    andrewf75
    Appreciate those points, but I think the PCP thing is a bit more than the press whipping up a story. It’s become another way to squeeze more money out of people at a time when real wages are falling. I’d say the same about mobile phone contracts. Its not that it can’t be a good deal for some people, but I think the way it normalises the financing of a new car for those who would be better off making do with an older one is a cause for concern.
    Anyway, going a bit off topic…
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 18th May 17, 12:51 PM
    • 15,179 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    motorguy
    I think that is too much on a generalization and imo really only applies if you are buying expensive newish cars (under 5 years old).

I used to do one 150 (75 mile & return) mile journey a week plus a few short journeys (so about 9,000 miles a year)

At 35mpg - that's 256 gallons of petrol
    at 55mpg - that's 164 gallons of diesel

At £5.00 a gallon (£1.10 a litre) - that's a saving of £460 a year
    Plus £100 cheaper tax

Those savings more than counteract the increase maintenance costs and the increase cost of purchase cost of a second hand diesel (I paid £500 over the insurance value of my 7 year polo, to replace with a very similar polo in diesel)

I now do 18,000 miles a year, so very glad I changed!
    Originally posted by Tammykitty
    DPFs, DMFs and electronic EGR valves have been around since around 2005 / 2006 so i would contend that anyone running an up to 10 year old diesel doing average miles or less is exposing themselves to big bill risks

I would also suggest that if your diesel is doing 55mpg theres a petrol variant out there probably doing 40-45mpg (or a similar petrol car that will)

Thats your saving down to approx £230 a year. Then factor in increased servicing costs, increased purchase price, etc, and you might be down to a few pounds per week at best.

It would only take one big diesel associated bill every four or five years to knock out that saving - something a "modern" diesel is very capable of doing.

Certainly in the last 5 years petrol fuel economy has increased so thinking of the right now its easy to see why people are gravitating back to petrols.
    Last edited by motorguy; 18-05-2017 at 1:03 PM.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

230Posts Today

1,235Users online

Martin's Twitter