Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th May 17, 7:29 PM
    • 24,969Posts
    • 9,905Thanks
    forgotmyname
    SPAM after signing upto Twitch.
    • 15th May 17, 7:29 PM
    SPAM after signing upto Twitch. 15th May 17 at 7:29 PM
    Signed upto Twitch with an email address that i have had for ages but it receives no email at all.

Signed upto Twitch and then within 48 hours im getting spam from medium.com.

Anyone else had the same?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Page 1
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 18th May 17, 12:43 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 18th May 17, 12:43 PM
    • 18th May 17, 12:43 PM
    This can happen in a number of ways

1. You sign up and they have a tick box already ticked opting you into 3rd party mail (illegal in UK)
    2. You sign up and opt out but they have a mysterious bug that resets you to opting in.
    3. They got hacked and someone stole your data (they are part of Amazon and would not be 1st time)
    4. They shared your data regardless of opt in thinking you would not notice

Which is why I use private domain to sign up to anything, then I KNOW they are source, I can blackhole email or report every one to Spamhaus, that way their future emails go to spam. If you use Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail to collect your email you can double this effect by marking messages as spam and emptying spam folder.

Some places make it a term of service that your data is shared but that in an unfair contact term in UK as it goes against common law.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 18th May 17, 6:06 PM
    • 24,969 Posts
    • 9,905 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 18th May 17, 6:06 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:06 PM
    Its an email address i created a long time ago and never used. So 100% from the Twitch signup process.

Steal my data, good luck with that because Mr User, with fake everything on signup should obtain some interesting info.

I have a little book so i can remember the answers to the questions.

Amazing how some sites will let you put your date of birth in the 1700 and 1800's.

Security question, Mothers name.... Uncle Bob T1000.

One things for sure is that its very very unlikely anyone is going to guess my passwords and security questions.

Although trying to remember that i was born in the Lost City of Atlantis made me get a book and write it all down. I actually needed access to the account that was linked to.

What is medium.com. I searched medium and spam and cannot decide if they are spam baiters or a blogsite and it linked to a spam baiting blog?

Any clues?

Thanks
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 18th May 17, 9:07 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 18th May 17, 9:07 PM
    • 18th May 17, 9:07 PM
    Medium seems to be a kind of advertorial site, the official line is...

"Medium is an online publishing platform developed by Twitter co-founder Evan Williams, and launched in August 2012. It is legally owned by A Medium Corporation.[2] The platform is an example of social journalism, having a hybrid collection of amateur and professional people and publications, or exclusive blogs or publishers on Medium[3] and is regularly regarded as a blog host.

Williams developed Medium as a way to publish writings and documents longer than Twitter's 140-character maximum. It eventually grew into a separate platform independent of Twitter's brand."

Looking at privacy it seems they do reciprocal mail swapping which is illegal in UK and even in US it requires OPT IN under FTC rules. Minimum would be an unsubscribe link but as a rule they should be avoided. If in doubt about any SPAM, run it through Spamcop, if you did not subscribe report it. they strip out most of your identifying data.

This is what Medium says about privacy (other than they will look up your connections if you use single signin with FB or Twitter)

"Disclosure of your information

As a rule, we don’t share your personal information outside the company.

We won’t sell your personal information.

We may share your personal information with third parties in limited circumstances, including: (1) with your consent; (2) to a vendor or partner who meets our data protection standards; or (3) when we have a good faith belief it is required by law, such as pursuant to a subpoena or other legal process."

I think you need to go back to original site and check your settings there, make sure you are opted out, maybe complain.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 18th May 17, 10:43 PM
    • 24,969 Posts
    • 9,905 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 18th May 17, 10:43 PM
    • 18th May 17, 10:43 PM
    I have emailed twitch to ask why i am getting spam from them.

I have only ever used twitter once and again a unique email and different name etc. Rarely use facebook and again not my real details and yet another email address.

Nothing links my data except banking to a unique email and paypal/ebay to another.
    Recently moved ebays email address due to the number of chinese shops emailing me direct. Not this is expected. Sellers probably breaking ebays terms but easily solved and i know who it is.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,899Posts Today

4,386Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin