Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stefano
    • By stefano 15th May 17, 5:47 PM
    • 933Posts
    • 96Thanks
    stefano
    Buying a second hand luxury car
    • 15th May 17, 5:47 PM
    Buying a second hand luxury car 15th May 17 at 5:47 PM
    I am thinking of buying a second hand luxury car. A BMW 730. I saw it on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142378083143
    I don't know much about older cars, so I am unsure.
    I am open to suggestions as to whether I should go for it or stay away.
Page 3
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 18th May 17, 12:24 PM
    • 4,167 Posts
    • 3,016 Thanks
    Iceweasel

What utter tosh!

Are you seriously suggesting that is not a luxury car?
    Originally posted by MobileSaver
    No it's not tosh.

You are missing the point I was/am making.

No way is it a luxury car - all those bells and whistles don't change a thing.

A Toyota can never be a luxury car - not even if you gold-plate the door handles and have a fur dashboard.

It can have several luxury features though.

Neither can a Ford or a Volkswagen be classed a luxury car.

And price has zilch to do with it either.

So jog on my friend and enjoy your 'luxury' car - if you're happy why should I care.
    Last edited by Iceweasel; 18-05-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 18th May 17, 12:45 PM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 3,643 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll

Are you seriously suggesting that is not a luxury car?
    It's a 'luxurious' car, certainly. But it's not a Bentley.

A Bentley. Now *that* is a luxury car.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 18th May 17, 3:14 PM
    • 6,979 Posts
    • 2,777 Thanks
    almillar
    Neither can a Ford or a Volkswagen be classed a luxury car.
    Volkswagen make Polos, therefore the Phaeton is not a luxury car.

Toyota make Starlets, therefore a Lexus is not a luxury car.

OK, by your logic, BMW's bubble cars mean that a 7 series is not a luxury car, and also Aston Martin's Cygnet bars us from calling their other cars GTs. How about the Ford switchgear in some of them? Does that make them Fiestas?

There's such a thing as a luxurious brand, like Bentley (owned by VW!!), above, and some brands have more 'prestige' than others, but a Toyota, or Lexus, could be equally luxurious to a Bentley if they really went for it, and hand built lots of stuff. It still wouldn't be a luxurious badge, but it's a luxury car. Or maybe put a Toyota badge on front of a Bentley and see if it gets less luxurious!
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 18th May 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    No way is it a luxury car - all those bells and whistles don't change a thing.

And price has zilch to do with it either.

So jog on my friend and enjoy your 'luxury' car - if you're happy why should I care.
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    Haters gonna hate! So luxury features, luxury price, luxury ride and luxury marque don't make a luxury car in Iceweasel's "alternative facts" world. LOL

Clearly you do care and I suspect the green eyed monster has a lot to do with it. And yes I enjoy my luxury car pretty much every day thanks, easily one of the best cars ever made.

But it's not a Bentley. Now *that* is a luxury car.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Not according to Iceweasel as a Volkswagen (the owner of Bentley) cannot be classed as a luxury car!

Also I take it you didn't realise Bentley is officially the most unreliable car in the country?

Most unreliable cars in the UK
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 18th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 3,643 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll

Not according to Iceweasel as a Volkswagen (the owner of Bentley) cannot be classed as a luxury car!

Also I take it you didn't realise Bentley is officially the most unreliable car in the country?

Most unreliable cars in the UK

I'm not going to get involved in the 'haterz gunna hate lulz' argumentz because I'm not 12 years old.

If Bentleys cannot be luxury cars because VW own them, and VWs are not luxury cars, by that argument a Lexus cannot be a luxury car because Toyota own Lexus, and Toyotas are not luxury cars. Iceweasel didn't make that connection - you did - so it's your argument.

Congratulations - you just disappeared in a puff of logic.

I'm not even going to point out that reliability is in no way a measure of luxury.
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 18th May 17, 4:00 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    If Bentleys cannot be luxury cars because VW own them, and VWs are not luxury cars, by that argument a Lexus cannot be a luxury car because Toyota own Lexus, and Toyotas are not luxury cars. Iceweasel didn't make that connection
    Er, that's exactly the fallacious basis of Iceweasel's assertions!

I had a couple of Toyotas - nice cars - but they cannot pretend to be luxury cars - even with a Lexus badge stuck on.
    A Toyota can never be a luxury car - not even if you gold-plate the door handles and have a fur dashboard.
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • kmb500
    • By kmb500 18th May 17, 4:14 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    kmb500
    They do, my MD's 730d used to average mid 40s easily.
    Damn. Then it gets better mpg than my Fiesta's EcoBoost engine...
    • stefano
    • By stefano 20th May 17, 12:19 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    stefano
    That beemer has now gone. I will resume my search for my original car I wanted. The Phaeton. The only downside of that is you would have to explain to people what it is and not many people have heard of it.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 20th May 17, 6:20 PM
    • 9,474 Posts
    • 7,478 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    45 Phaetons on Autotrader
    • stefano
    • By stefano 20th May 17, 8:38 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    stefano
    45 Phaetons on Autotrader
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Yeah, I know. Compare that to the thousands of BMWs.
    • stefano
    • By stefano 20th May 17, 8:40 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    stefano
    Phaeton! They're absolutely worthless........
    Originally posted by kmb500
    What exactly do you mean?
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 21st May 17, 4:34 AM
    • 380 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    owen_money
    If you cant afford a new luxury car then maybe stick to a Ford or Vauxhall. It really is best to know your place in life
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 21st May 17, 4:39 AM
    • 380 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    owen_money
    @ mobilesaver
    Amazon Prime Customer? Don't forget to cancel your automatic renewal unless you are happy with the price hike to £79 a year!

I'm happy, its about an hour or so wages and you get tv, music and next day delivery, a bargain
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • stefano
    • By stefano 21st May 17, 7:22 AM
    • 933 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    stefano
    I would never buy a new car, luxury or otherwise. I wold let someone else take that initial depreciation hit of nearly 20%.
    • rca779
    • By rca779 21st May 17, 6:23 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    rca779
    Go for a Jaguar XF instead of the remarkably boring looking Phaeton.

Two years ago I bought a 3.0D Portfolio S - best car I have ever owned - fast, reasonably economical (if driven sensibly), fabulous interior and exterior. You can get a great deal from about £9k upwards.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 21st May 17, 6:50 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Go for a Jaguar XF instead of the remarkably boring looking Phaeton.

Two years ago I bought a 3.0D Portfolio S - best car I have ever owned - fast, reasonably economical (if driven sensibly), fabulous interior and exterior. You can get a great deal from about £9k upwards.
    Originally posted by rca779
    Shame it's three times what he's looking to pay.
    • behenjamin
    • By behenjamin 22nd May 17, 1:14 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    behenjamin
    I'm in work so can't see the advert. 100k miles is nothing for modern well maintained cars.

Just remember parts and servicing for cars like this will be alot more than for a typical hatchback.
    I've got a 14 year old BMW M3 and discs and pads all round are close to £1k for the parts, just bought bits for a basic service are £140.

Sit in a Lexus or any Japanese car, then sit in a German equivalent and you'll notice immediately the improvement in interior.
    Debt free (apart from Mortgage) Xmas 17
    Loan £300/£219 - Barclaycard £2100/£2038 - AA credit card £2900/£2727 - overdraft £1300/£1100 Tesco credit card £900/£875
    • stefano
    • By stefano 26th May 17, 8:52 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    stefano
    I still can't understand why the Phaeton is so undervalued. Bentley chassis and gearbox. VW engine. Audi A8 parts. and the interior is on par with a 7 series.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 27th May 17, 12:20 AM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    I still can't understand why the Phaeton is so undervalued. Bentley chassis and gearbox. VW engine. Audi A8 parts. and the interior is on par with a 7 series.
    Originally posted by stefano
    Can't you? Two things - Badge snobbery and it was released at a time when the banks were collapsing. So it was expensive, didn't have the right badge and was therefore not seen as being either aspirational or as a symbol of success.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 27th May 17, 8:12 AM
    • 9,574 Posts
    • 6,095 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Can't you? Two things - Badge snobbery and it was released at a time when the banks were collapsing. So it was expensive, didn't have the right badge and was therefore not seen as being either aspirational or as a symbol of success.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    Agree with most of that but your timing on the banks is wrong, it was originally released in early 2000s wasn't it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,544Users online

Martin's Twitter