Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • venner
    • By venner 15th May 17, 3:30 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 9Thanks
    venner
    4 weeks and 1 viewing- HELP!
    • 15th May 17, 3:30 PM
    4 weeks and 1 viewing- HELP! 15th May 17 at 3:30 PM
    on RM- PL31 2FD £212,500

Hello- been on the market for 4 weeks and 1 viewing. Ive lowered the price twice and it is now at the very lowest I would go to as I really want to sell. Two estate agents valued the house at £205-210.

Ive reduced the amount of pictures on display, Ive added a description about the town but really struggling to think of anything obvious that is stopping people want to view/buy the house.

Any critique is more than welcome

Thank you
Page 3
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 16th May 17, 12:37 PM
    • 3,108 Posts
    • 3,300 Thanks
    always_sunny
    The house is nice but if it's not attracting many views usually it's the price.

You need to look at the place as an item to be sold rather than as your home and stop finding reasons why it should be priced a certain way cause bottom line is, people are not coming.
    Expat with an EU passport
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 16th May 17, 12:37 PM
    • 5,654 Posts
    • 7,404 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    OP, I agree with others that this could be better presented. In your description you say 'well proportioned and generous sized' but the living room and bedroom both appear fairly cramped, to me, and the tumble dryer and stacked boxes in the dining room, plus the fact the table is against the wall, makes it look as though you are short of storage space.

I would suggest that you see if you can declutter a bit, ideally put one of the two wardrobes from pic 8, the tumble dryer and the storage boxes and possibly the piano into storage, (plus whatever you need to make the 3rd bedroom viewing ready); And if the sofa is in sections consider sotring the end section so that the room looks more spacious.

take down the pictures on the fridge to give the kitchen a cleaner look, and move the dining table out into the room so it looks as if it is usable.

All that said, though, the place looks clean and well presented and I do think you are not getting much interest it is almost certainly price.

Have you got a friend to call the agents to see how well they deal with enquiries? I think unless you are in a property hot-spot then it is generally better to have agents rather than just an online one.

According to a local agent I was talking to (who was not trying to sell me anything at the time) they still get around 30-40% of enquiries from people who have seen ads in the paper or in the window, not online, so online only may mean you are limiting your market.

I don't know if the figures are correct, but in context he had no reason to lie to me!
    • LannieDuck
    • By LannieDuck 16th May 17, 12:55 PM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 6,962 Thanks
    LannieDuck
    I agree with the PP that the living room looks small , but suspect it's actually a perfectly nice size.

You have a huge sofa - very comfortable, but it's not doing the photo any favours. It looks like it might be in two sections - could you put one half in storage for a couple of weeks?

And I agree with those who say that you're overpriced. You haven't even tried pricing it at the middle valuation yet. One of the EAs thought it was worth £205k... no harm in chancing it at £225k, but you shouldn't be surprised that an expensive house hasn't generated much interest.
    Mortgage when started: £330,995

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
    Arthur C. Clarke
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 16th May 17, 1:18 PM
    • 29,152 Posts
    • 17,434 Thanks
    getmore4less
    two things in the pics stood out to me

front door not on the floor plan

dining room with table against the wall and a tumble dryer under the window.
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 16th May 17, 1:22 PM
    • 8,781 Posts
    • 8,481 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    No total floor space on the floorplan to compare against other properties - if yours is bigger it's impossible to tell.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 16th May 17, 1:26 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 1,772 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    And the first thing that struck me was the sofa in the living room - doesn't make good use of the space, in fact makes the whole thing look a bit awkward. But I wouldn't buy a new sofa set up just to sell!
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th May 17, 2:57 PM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    The house is nice but if it's not attracting many views usually it's the price.

You need to look at the place as an item to be sold rather than as your home and stop finding reasons why it should be priced a certain way cause bottom line is, people are not coming.
    Originally posted by always_sunny

Good advice.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 16th May 17, 4:24 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 3,669 Thanks
    00ec25
    lack of viewers is down to the price as it probably means it does not come up in the sort of price range brackets people are actually searching for

Cakeguts has already shown what is selling and that house does not have all the "faults" others have already listed and was cheaper than yours.

I have no idea what West Country affordability is based on what the average person's income is down there, nor do I know the area, but I always use the 3 mile radius on Rightmove and that brings up cheaper properties than yours

look at your competition under 200k...
    3 bed @195k decent flat garden, garage, "normal" 2 storey box house - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65906006.html

4 bed -@200k ok the price on this one reflects the fact it is not very nice, but hey ho, it is 12k cheaper than yours and is 4 bed with scope for "improvement"

and as for yours being 3 storeys, well 3 storeys are selling in Bodmin, but @22k less than you are asking for
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64963856.html
    Last edited by 00ec25; 16-05-2017 at 4:34 PM.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 16th May 17, 7:38 PM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Nothing to do with presentation. People realise they need to look beyond clutter.

Its the price, you have houses with bigger gardens and further away from a council estate for less money. Suggest put it on for £199,950 and go from there.

Sadly you have a really nice house but with a rubbish garden and backing on to a housing estate. It has limited appeal so needs to be cheaper than the competition, or at least the same price.
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 16th May 17, 7:55 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    samsam89
    For what it's worth, I agree with previous posters. In the main, it appears a lovely house. The dining table pushed up against the wall makes me think there's not enough space. Kitchen looks nice but I would remove almost everything from the surfaces except the essential kettle, toaster, microwave and perhaps coffee, tea and sugar jars. I would also remove anything stuck to kitchen cabinets like children's drawings etc. As lovely as they are, they detract from what you want buyers to focus on and that is the bare bones of the kitchen in all its glory.

The fine detail cosmetics aside, I would still view it but the fact that you've not had many suggests it is overpriced.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 16th May 17, 8:03 PM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 3,529 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    The valuation that the two estate agents have given you are the marketing values not what you expect to get when you sell it. The marketing values are between £205k and £210k but you have added £2,000 to their maximum marketing price. Why did you do this? You have been told by two estate agents the levels as which you need to market your house in order to get any interest and you have ignored both of them and put the house on the market at more. Now who do you think knows more about selling a house in your area you or the agents?

If £212k is the lowest price that you will go down to then you are not going to sell this house so you might as well take it off the market. In order to sell it you have got to market it at the price that the agents have suggested and because it has now probably been seen by most people who are looking to buy a house in that area you will need to market around £205k or less. If you don't want to do this then you won't sell the house. It is that simple.
    Last edited by Cakeguts; 17-05-2017 at 12:21 AM.
    • venner
    • By venner 17th May 17, 7:13 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    venner
    Thanks everyone

Not much i can do about the sofa it was bigger than we thought it would look but it is a big front room.

I'll declutter even more and get the EA back to do some better pics and lower price.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 17th May 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    You could do the pictures if you have a half decent camera phone.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 19th May 17, 7:30 PM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    I suppose you should really start worrying at the four month stage?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 27th May 17, 4:22 PM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Any further offers?
    • Madmel
    • By Madmel 27th May 17, 7:02 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Madmel
    I'm afraid the typo on the advert put me off. It should be "principal" rooms and not as on the advert. This lack of attention to detail makes me wonder what else might be a bit slapdash.

Sorry to be harsh, but it jumped out at me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,924Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin