Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulr70
    • By paulr70 15th May 17, 2:43 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 10Thanks
    paulr70
    shower room alternative to tiles.
    • 15th May 17, 2:43 PM
    shower room alternative to tiles. 15th May 17 at 2:43 PM
    Hi All,

Am considering a downstairs shower room under the stairs and into the garage. Probably be around 1.4m x 2.5m into the garage.
    Just wondering if there are any materials other than tiles that could be used for walls. Have seen some large panels that you can use that are cut to fit. Just wonder if they are cost effective and if they look good , or anything else out there.

Thanks

Paul
Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 15th May 17, 4:04 PM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 3,057 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 15th May 17, 4:04 PM
    • 15th May 17, 4:04 PM
    We've recently had our shower re-done with wet wall panels - I think that's what you're referring to. They're not cheap - athough, I would guess probably on a par with tiles. As long as they're installed correctly ( paying particlar attention to the joints ) I personally think they're great. There's loads of colours and patterns to choose from, they're easy to wipe clean, and it removes the problem of the grout going discoloured and looking grotty - or even worse, cracking and leaking. It's a matter of personal taste, but we're really pleased with ours.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • J B
    • By J B 15th May 17, 4:33 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    J B
    • 15th May 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15th May 17, 4:33 PM
    Just getting a 'small' project priced up .....

Developer is wondering if it's cheaper with a new studded wall, to just put 'shower board' on it rather than plasterboard, skim and tiles.

Still awaiting the quote ..
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 15th May 17, 4:38 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 15th May 17, 4:38 PM
    • 15th May 17, 4:38 PM
    we used wet wall / showerboard panels and have been v pleased with them - not sure how the cost compared with tiles though
    • paulr70
    • By paulr70 16th May 17, 9:33 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    paulr70
    • 16th May 17, 9:33 AM
    • 16th May 17, 9:33 AM
    Thanks all. Would be interest in the costs of purchase and installation vs tiling. We`re considering doing just 3 walls of a shower and then probably just painting the rest of the walls to save costs.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 16th May 17, 9:47 AM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 3,057 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 16th May 17, 9:47 AM
    • 16th May 17, 9:47 AM
    Would be interest in the costs of purchase and installation vs tiling.
    Originally posted by paulr70

If you Google for "Wet Wall" you'll get any number of places that sell it. Places like B&Q, Homebase etc. also sell it, as do the builders merchants like Wickes, Travis Perkins, Jewsons etc. If you have a tile showroom near you, odds on they'll stock it as well.

It's hard to give a direct comparison on prices. There will be a massive difference between the cheapest tiles and the most expensive tiles, likewise wet-wall comes in different qualities and designs. It's a case of looking at some you like and comparing the prices.

The installation of wet wall is likely to be cheaper, in terms of labour cost, than tiles - or it's actually not too difficult to DIY it.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 18th May 17, 9:39 AM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 2,451 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    • 18th May 17, 9:39 AM
    • 18th May 17, 9:39 AM
    A word of caution about the cut-to-fit panels: cutting them makes a hell of a lot of dust, so do not cut them in your garage because everything will get covered in it.
    • paulr70
    • By paulr70 18th May 17, 9:42 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    paulr70
    • 18th May 17, 9:42 AM
    • 18th May 17, 9:42 AM
    Thanks , found bathstore do them as "splashpanels". Have quite a range, but not sure the quality but seem to be around the £180 for a 900x2400 panel. Went to look in one of their stores and they just had one on show in all their showers which was a bit rubbish.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

164Posts Today

1,143Users online

Martin's Twitter