PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying A Home Or Private Renting? Which Is The Best Option?

Options

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 16 May 2017 at 9:58PM
    Options
    Yes your right. I have been here 2 weeks and I am here until Friday. My first Premier £291 for 4 night. My weekend stay in the Manchester one was £196. The one in Birkenhead was £300 and this stay for a week here cost me £656.

that is more expensive than an All inclusive resort including flights.

You have achieved nothing with this exercise other than blow a couple of £k a very expensive holiday.

Whetherspoons serve food from 7am to 10pm not hard to find food in a big city. no shortage in Manchester and Liverpool areas.

Premier inn always have a food outlet attached that serves late.

You need to come up with a proper plan thought through properly before you go off on another adventure for nothing.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 May 2017 at 3:55AM
    Options
    Rejast wrote: »

I think you should get home asap and just take a few weeks to let everything settle in your mind in the comfort of your own home.

As others have suggested you should look into spreading your funds around as many highish interest accounts as possible to maximise your return, but first of all please try to get as much of whatever you are carrying around at the moment safe in a bank. You have enough to worry about at the moment without the added worry of hiding/storing/carrying around a large amount of cash.

Lastly, Good Luck and I'm sure with the right support you will make the right decision for you :)

Yes I think I should go back to home to Essex and my flat.
    I getting nowhere staying here. And I don't even like being here anyway. It's no fun staying in a hotel for long periods.

The man staff on duty at reception tonight upset me.

When I took my rubbish bag downstairs to reception for him to dispose of, he told me off for leaving my bin bag and bath towels out side my door in the hall. He said to leave it in my bin.

But the bin they have in my room is a tiny wastepaper basket so it gets full up very quickly. So I told him this and I told him that I don't want the cleaners coming in my room when I am not there.
    And that I can't rubbish in that bin because it will make my room smell. And the wet bath towels will make everything else wet because there is no cloths horse or towel rail to hang them up on.
    Which was why I put them outside my room.

But he was not very nice. He told me not to leave my bin bag and wet bath towels outside. So I said what if there is a queue of people at reception what do you expect me to do.
    He just shrugged and went and spoke to the other customer waiting at reception.

He was rude.
    These kind of people make me sick. Their attitude I mean.
    It's made me think I have got a flat I don't know why I stay here and put up with all of this.

Having to run out to cafes. Having to ask the hotel staff for everything and being made to wait around at reception being messed about before they get it for me.

Okay I have brought my own toilet rolls so I don't have to queue up at reception every time I run out. But sometime my key does not work or open my room door. And I have to go to reception and wait for them to sort it out.

Sometimes my bin in my room gets full and my towels get wet from me using them. and I have to wait for them to sort it out.

Or wait for them to get something for me.
    Where as at home in my flat I can just get it myself. And tidy things up myself. And I don't have to deal with no rude receptionists. And at home I can cook for myself and eat when I want. So I don't have to worry about being hungry in the night or missing dinner because the cafes are closed.
    Here in the hotel I can't.
    Hotels are all right for a short time but not for a long stay.

And I made the mistake of telling some of the housekeeping staff cleaners about my inheritance. I should not have done that. They seemed very friendly with me but too friendly.

So who knows if I can trust them or not? they might go in my room and try to steal my money. This is worrying me.
    Because I told them my story. About how my mum died and my sisters selling my mums house and me and my sisters have inherited money from it.
    And that I am here in Liverpool looking for a flat( or I was)because I have to pay £603 a month rent to my HA because they have stopped my HB.
    I should not have told them all of that. Should I.

So yes I must get up tomorrow morning and get to the bank and put that money away. Because if I leave it in my room and it gets stolen. The staff won't take responsibility. they will say it's my fault for leaving it there.

I am not saying that anyone is going to go into my room and steal my money but you just never know do you?

So it is best not to leave it in my room and put in in the bank and keep the cash that I need with me. And keep my bank books with me as well.

At least if I keep my money with me I know where it is.
    Better to be safe than sorry.
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    To echo the others, please stop carrying large amounts of cash around. There is no need to do so. Nowhere will require you to pay large bills in cash.

As I said and everyone else here has told me.
    I must NOT leave any money or my bank books or my passport in my hotel room.
    Even if I have padlocked my luggage bags anyone who goes in my room can break open the padlock and steal my money and valuables.

The Hotel staff have a key they can go in my rom any time they want to.
    So I must keep my money and bank books with me when I leave my room and go out.

You have achieved nothing with this exercise other than blow a couple of £k a very expensive holiday.

You need to come up with a proper plan thought through properly before you go off on another adventure for nothing.

No I have not.

All I have done is spend a lot of money and it was all for nothing.

And because I cannot get up in the mornings and it takes me a long time to get out.

By the time I do finally leave my room and go out. It is about 5 or 6 in the evening.

So too late to go to the letting agent or do much else.

So all I am doing here is sitting in my hotel room all day thinking or on my laptop.

So what's the point in me being here?
    I might as well go home.

As I can do that in my flat without knocking up a big hotel bill.

I am wasting my time being here as I am doing nothing except spending my money staying in hotels but not going out at the right time.

Because I cannot get myself out of my room until very late in the day.
    My OCD does not help me get out any sooner.

But maybe coming here has helped me as it has made me realize that Liverpool is not the right place for me.

Ever since I came here my instincts have been telling me I should not leave my HA to go into private rented. and I should not move up here either.

Even if my HA did offer me a flat up here I am not sure if Liverpool is the right place for me to live in.
    Now that I am here I don't think it is.

Maybe what I am looking for is not in Liverpool or anywhere in the North. That's what I am thinking right now.

I think maybe I am better off staying where I am with my HA in my flat.

My HA is not that bad. In fact they have been quite good to me.My housing officer came round to visit me, just before I went away. And she liked my flat that I have decorated.

Okay so I have to pay £603 a month rent.
    But it's still much lower than what I would pay if I was renting privately in Essex or the South.

As I said private 1 bedroom flats in my area are about £1000 or £1500 a month. So what my HA is charging is very low considering.

My HA know I have MH problems so they understand. And as long as I pay the rent they will never throw me out.

And when my inheritace does eventually run out and I do have to go back on HB, I will still have my home with my HA.

But a private landlord or letting agent might not be so understanding.

If they find out I have MH they might not want me there. And when my inheritace runs out and I have to go back on HB again.
    The landlord or letting agent could throw me out. As a lot of them don't like DSs tenants.

And some landlords or letting agents might consider me to be DSS anyway because I am still on DLA and ESA. Even though I am not on HB.
    So they may not like that either.

And here in Eseex I now have a very good GP. Who has even said she will write me a supporting letter when my ESA and DLA come up for review. And she will support me.

And despite my CMHT turning me down for their services my GP is trying to get me other MH support. She is referring me to a Councilor on the NHS. And she gives me time.
    So at least I have found a caring GP.

But if I move up here it will spoil all of that.
    Won't it.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Are you going home today?

You will have to leave the hotel before 5pm in order to get home in one day.

Please get off your laptop and go and get a train home.

Next time, leave the piles of cash and your passport at home. You didn't need them with you.

Get on a train, go home.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you looked into whether your housing association or others local to you offer shared ownership properties?
    With a shared ownesrhip property you can buy a % of the property, and you pay rent on the rest, so you don't have to have enough to buy a property outright. It might mean that you could afford to stay somewhere familiar to you.

You would then have the security of owning a property (and the responsibility - you would be responsible for maintenance of the property, and for paying for insurance and repairs)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2017 at 7:31AM
    Options
    annbarbs, please don't be telling anyone else that you have money with you. Please go to the train and go straight home, there's no need for you to go to Manchester.
  • Rejast
    Rejast Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May 2017 at 11:57AM
    Options
    AnnBarbs, I can understand why it might come accross that the staff member was being unreasonable but unfortunately that is part and parcel of staying in a hotel. You don't want the smelly rubbish and wet towels in your room and they don't want it in the corridor upseting other guests. Unfortunately for you the staff are going about their jobs as they should and will not be aware of the MH issues of all their guests

I am not going to knock you for speaking to people about your situation, however, I do think you need to find more appropriate people to share things with.

All is not lost if going there has helped you come to teh decision that Liverpool is not for you

It seems like you have a good relationship with your HA and GP, both of these are hard to come by. You have decorated your flat just the way you like it, know the area and have some caring people in your HA and GP, I wouldn't say you would spoil things by moving, more that you would be taking a massive risk both emotionally and financially

As for ReadingTim, AnnBarbs seems very vunerable and in need of someone to speak to, An internet forum may not be the best place but at least it is somewhere she feels able to off load. She has posted in the correct forum and is not rude so all in all is not doing an harm. I agree her posts can be a bit ott but she is merely expresing herself in a way that is clear to her (a symptom of her MH?) Would you prefer she posts a new thread for each of her linked issues? If you have nothing to add to assist then please feel free to browse another thead.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »

Next time, leave the piles of cash and your passport at home. You didn't need them with you.

Get on a train, go home.

Well they can break into your home but that's less likely to happen. Because my flat is in a secure block and no one goes in there but me.

I have to take my passport with me because banks can sometimes ask for identification if they don't know you. And if your bank book or debit cards get lost or stolen. The bank will want to see my passport. So I have to take my passport with me.

But the cash I am not using can go into my bank account. I don't need to carry all of that cash around with me.

Just what I need for my daily needs. And I should never leave my cash or valuables in my room.

And I should not have told the cleaners about my inheritance.
    I know the cleaners and staff can go in my room any time. So that was a stupid thing to do.
    I should not have done that.

Both my solicitor and my housing officer told me not to tell people about the inheritace. Because there are a lot of people out there who could take advantage of me if they knew.
    They are right.
    Rejast wrote:
    AnnBarbs, I can understand why it might come accross that the staff member was being unreasonable but unfortunately that is part and parcel of staying in a hotel. You don't want the smelly rubbish and wet towels in your room and they don't want it in the corridor upseting other guests. Unfortunately for you the staff are going about their jobs as they should and will not be aware of the MH issues of all their guests

No they are not and I can't really tell them that. But I did tell the 2 cleaners that were friendly with me about myself and my mental Health problems. Why I cannot work and I should not have done.

I don't trust those cleaners because they seem too friendly and familiar with me. So of course I am worried about leaving my money in my room in case they take it.

Those cleaners seem too friendly to be true. I don't trust them.
    ='Rejast' I am not going to knock you for speaking to people about your situation, however, I do think you need to find more appropriate people to share things with.

All is not lost if going there has helped you come to teh decision that Liverpool is not for you

It seems like you have a good relationship with your HA and GP, both of these are hard to come by. You have decorated your flat just the way you like it, know the area and have some caring people in your HA and GP, I wouldn't say you would spoil things by moving, more that you would be taking a massive risk both emotionally and financially

I agree hotel staff are NOT the right people to be telling my business to. I should never have told them about my inheritace. That was very stupid.

No I don't think that Liverpool is the right place for me. I think it's all right for me to come here but not to live.

I think leaving a HA flat to go into private rented accommodation is the wrong move because there is the risk that I could end up homeless again.

One of the reasons I wanted to move up here was to save money on rent because I thought the rents up here were cheaper than what I pay for my HA.

But they are not.

But if you look on Right Move and Zoopla you will see that most 1 and 2 bedroom flats in Liverpool and the surrounding areas are £450, £500 or £550 a month.Which is only £100 cheaper than the rent I pay now.

So it's not worth moving up here for that because I am not going to save money. And I won't have a secure tenancy.

So whats the point in me moving here if my rent is only going to be £150 or £100 less than what I pay now?

I might as well stay in my HA and pay the £603 a month. At least in my flat I have a secure home.

If I move up here I could as people here have warned me find myself moving every 2 years because the landlord has either thrown me out or is selling the property.

While I would have the money to move that won't take away the stress of being evicted. And some landlord don't give you 2 months notice I might only get a few weeks notice. And if I cannot find another place to live within that time what then?

It's a worry.

I have seen flats for cheaper than £500 for about £390 or £400 a month. But they are very few of those and they are at the lower end. Because most of the flats here are much more rent than that.

So if those few flats are that low in rent will it be somewhere where the landlord maintains the property or a run down dump?

And don't forget that landlords put the rent up every year. So I could in the end end up paying more rent than what I pay my HA.
    There's that too.

And as people have also warned me a lot of landlords and letting agents don't maintain the property.

I have spoken to a few hotel staff in Southport where I wanted to go. One staff member is having big problems getting his repairs done by his letting agent. Another staff member said the letting agents in that area are not very good, they are not doing the repairs.

I also know this from my own experience. As I told you in my last posts I was with a private landlord many years ago who did not maintain the property.

I had rotten windows and damp walls and the house was falling apart. I went to Environmental health and the letting agent threw me out.

If I move to a private flat the same thing could happen to me again. You don't know. And it is most likely I would not be allowed to decorate as most private landlords and letting agents won't let you. And I won't like that either.

And once I leave the HA I cannot turn around and go back again if it all goes wrong for me. Because once you give up a Council or HA flat you become a private tenant. So I would not be given another HA flat again unless I became homeless again.

Most people who are homless do not get Council or HA. They are moved from temporary flat to temporary flat with a landlord every few years. And a lot of people never get a HA flat.

I would not want to go back in a temporary flat again.
    I did not like that either.
    And as I said before I would then have to pay double rent in a temp flat as the Council leases those from the landlord.

So I would end up paying £1500 a month rent out of my inheritace. And that will eat up my money.

And even then I would have to go through the procedures of going back to the Council. But would most likely be put in another temporary flat or I might even end up in a bed and breakfast.

That's why everyone is advising me against leaving my HA to go into private rented. Because there could be consequences if it all goes wrong. As it could do.

It's not worth taking that chance.

Yes I have found a very good GP who gives me time and is very supportive. She gives me double appointments for 20 minutes and she often spends about 30 minutes with me.

And while it is true my CMHT say I do not meet the criteria for their services. They said they will still give me supporting letters for my benefits if I need them. And my EX- social worker I am still in contact has done. She helped me get my Disabled Freedom Pass renewed last year.
    She filled in the form for me and wrote a supporting statement and I got my pass again.

A strange CMHT that does not know me won't do that.

And there is the possibility that I might not meet the criteria for the CMHT services in Liverpool either.
    And if I don't I won't get them. So I would have given up a secure HA for nothing.

And if I were to become homeless up here in Liverpool, there is the possibility that I might not get help from the Council. If the CMHT up here were to say I was not ill enough.

I think my Council in my area have been very good to me.
    I am very fortunate to have my HA flat.

It is a new build in a nice area and only in a small block with nice neighbors. The council could have just left me in the temp flat or moved me from temp flat to temp flat. or they could have put me in a dump but they didn't.

They gave me this nice flat which is permanent. An assured tenancy which is a home for life if I want it.
    Another Council in another area might not be so understanding. We don't know.

If I move up here there is no guarantee I will have a home that is secure being a private flat.

There is no guarantee that I will get a nice GP.
    No guarantee that I will get support from the CMHT here. I might not.

And there is no guarantee that I won't become homeless in the future if the landlord or letting agent throws me out.

And when my inheritace runs out in the years to come I won't be able to afford to private rent.

So I would end up back at the Council. And we don't know where they would put me.
    They could put me anywhere and it might be somewhere I won't like. Like a bed and breakfast or a flat I won't like.
    So it is better not to take that risk and leave the HA. Unless I am buying a place maybe. But not private rented.

And maybe all this is trying to tell me something.
    Maybe I am better off staying where I am in my area. Or another area nearer my home.

There is a saying.
    It is better to deal with the devil that you know than with the devil that you don't.

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't read the whole post, are you on your way home now?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    annbarbs wrote: »
    I think leaving a HA flat to go into private rented accommodation is the wrong move because there is the risk that I could end up homeless again.

I might as well stay in my HA and pay the £603 a month. At least in my flat I have a secure home.

Yes I have found a very good GP who gives me time and is very supportive. She gives me double appointments for 20 minutes and she often spends about 30 minutes with me.

And while it is true my CMHT say I do not meet the criteria for their services. They said they will still give me supporting letters for my benefits if I need them.

And my EX- social worker I am still in contact has done. She helped me get my Disabled Freedom Pass renewed last year.

She filled in the form for me and wrote a supporting statement and I got my pass again.

A strange CMHT that does not know me won't do that.

It sounds as if you are coming to a decision about staying where you are - I honestly think that will be the best thing for you.

Although you can't get help through the NHS, could your CMHT suggest someone who you could go to privately - you have the money now to pay for help.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options

annbarbs wrote: »

No I have not.

All I have done is spend a lot of money and it was all for nothing.

And because I cannot get up in the mornings and it takes me a long time to get out.

By the time I do finally leave my room and go out. It is about 5 or 6 in the evening.

So too late to go to the letting agent or do much else.

So all I am doing here is sitting in my hotel room all day thinking or on my laptop.

So what's the point in me being here?
    I might as well go home.

As I can do that in my flat without knocking up a big hotel bill.

I am wasting my time being here as I am doing nothing except spending my money staying in hotels but not going out at the right time.

Because I cannot get myself out of my room until very late in the day.
    My OCD does not help me get out any sooner.

What was the purpose of the visit?

what was the primary goal you were trying to achieve with the visit?

Why did it end up being 2 weeks changing hotels because you did not plan it to be two weeks at the start?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure