Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    heavenleigh
    In need of ideas for a nursery rhyme costume
    • 1st Oct 07, 1:23 PM
    In need of ideas for a nursery rhyme costume 1st Oct 07 at 1:23 PM
    Afternoon all,

DD has book week this week at school and needs to be dressed up as a nursery rhyme character on Thursday.

I still have last years litle red riding hood costume i made (that she claimed first prize in) but as she wants to win again (ok I want to win) i need to make something else.

Most parents send their children in shop bought costumes, and thinking about it this is the cheaper way to do it, but it is always the home made costumes that claim first place.

How old am i?

We have thought about little bow peep but apart from a dress and a crook i dont know what else i could make, for red riding hood i made a dress, gingham apron, red satin cloak, wicker basket etc i need something that takes a little imagination (can you tell i really want to win?)

The sewing machine is at the ready, my sister in laws mother owns a bridal shop so i can snaffle material, ribbon, props etc for nothing .

I wanted Abbie to go as humpty dumpty in an outfit i was going to make out of bridal dress hoops and material but she has refused point blank darn 6 year olds:rolleyes: .

Can anyone think of any ideas, and i will of course post a photo of the finished item when done (probably 3am thursday morning if little red riding hood is anything to go by).

Remember it needs to have a little imagination and i dont mind the work involved, the point after all is to win!

Bad, bad competitive mother:
    Leigh xx
    I will save my tesco £1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = £50 (full card#1)
    Card #2 £6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total £56
Page 1
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 1st Oct 07, 1:41 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 1st Oct 07, 1:41 PM
    • 1st Oct 07, 1:41 PM
    I won first prize in a fancy dress competition when I was 5 (1970). My mum made me a ladybird costume. Does that count as a nursery rhyme, I'm thinking of 'ladybird, ladybird fly away home....' ? Of course I learnt to read from Ladybird books sorry indulging in nostalgia

My costume was; black tights, a black sweater and a red tunic dress (sleeveless). It was an outfit wore to school and my teacher used to say if I had spots on my back I'd look like a ladybird. So, that's what mum did- appliqueed black spots on the back with a black line down the middle. She made me a little helmet-like black cap that did up under the chin. Final touch were some black pipecleaner feelers.

If you're handy with a needle you could easily make a red tunic. Pattern companies do loads of fancy dress patterns as I'm sure you know. There's bound to be one with a suitable hat pattern or you could just use a black headband with pipecleaners.
    • whatatwit
    • By whatatwit 1st Oct 07, 1:49 PM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 15,339 Thanks
    whatatwit
    • 1st Oct 07, 1:49 PM
    • 1st Oct 07, 1:49 PM
    For Little Bo Peep, you would need a sheep on a lead.

How about Little Miss Muffet, hours of fun making a pipe cleaner spider.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 1st Oct 07, 1:50 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 1st Oct 07, 1:50 PM
    • 1st Oct 07, 1:50 PM
    Twinkle twinkle little star

or

Mary Mary quite contrary

or

Little miss muffet

or what are little girls made of

hope these are of some use
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 1st Oct 07, 1:52 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 1st Oct 07, 1:52 PM
    or ride a !!!! horse - if she has a hobby horse

• sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 1st Oct 07, 1:52 PM
    • 5,492 Posts
    • 70,366 Thanks
    sexymouse
    How about one of the three blind mice? You could dress her up in a mouse costume, and give her a white stick?
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8th April 2011, 1st baby boy born 26th September 2012 , Poppy born 8th November 2015
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 1st Oct 07, 1:52 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    littleredhen
    oops just realised it has deleted the c word - i am sure you get my gist

ride a .... horse to banbury cross - just in case you don't

• littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 1st Oct 07, 1:54 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 1st Oct 07, 1:54 PM
    • 1st Oct 07, 1:54 PM
    queen of hearts

ooh i am getting excited for you - do tell us what you decide on and good luck

• faerie_girl
    • 1st Oct 07, 1:55 PM
    • 1st Oct 07, 1:55 PM
    baa baa black sheep, the queen of hearts, this little piggy

Hope these give you some ideas.
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 1st Oct 07, 2:02 PM
    • 5,492 Posts
    • 70,366 Thanks
    sexymouse
    Wee willie winkie in his nightgown with a candlestick
    Itsy bitsy spider
    goosey goosey gander
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8th April 2011, 1st baby boy born 26th September 2012 , Poppy born 8th November 2015
    • Mazcabs
    • By Mazcabs 1st Oct 07, 2:02 PM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 8,678 Thanks
    Mazcabs
    As a brownie we had to dress as nursery rhyme characters etc and my mum made 2 tea pots out of cardboard, painted / decorated them and then hooked them over me for 'I'm a little teapot short and stout'.

Just a thought
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 1st Oct 07, 2:10 PM
    • 17,934 Posts
    • 22,241 Thanks
    Poppy9
    • What about Doctor Foster. Only need a white coat and a stethoscope
    • Polly put the kettle on - a parrot costume holding a teapot!
    • I'm a little teapot - teapot shaped tabard with the lid as a hat and arms as spout and handle!!
    • Incy Wincy Spider - black furry tabbard with legs dangling off!!
    Shame on you being competitive. My OH is like that. DD won a Maths hat competition in school. OH made a times table hat from a shoe box & toilet rolls complete with mini table cloth and clock faces and maths symbols.
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
  • floyd
    Hickory Dickory Dock, make a Grandfather clock from Supermarket boxes with her face painted as the clock face and make a little mouse to go on the side
    • pukkamum
    • By pukkamum 1st Oct 07, 2:28 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    pukkamum
    What about humpty dumpty!!!!1 If you have a hoola hoop you could sew material on it to make the egg shape!
  • misspolly
    Whats your little girl called, is it a name used in a Nursery Rhyme?
    My 4yr old Polly, went as Polly put the kettle on, white apron from and old white waffle dressing gown, with net curtain frill attached and an old cooper kettle ornament. She Won!!!
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 1st Oct 07, 4:34 PM
    • 6,277 Posts
    • 22,911 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    My Mum has a picture of me aged 5 dressed as the Queen of Hearts (white pinafore dress with red cloth hearts cut out and stuck on. My crown was card covered in gold foil and a muffin baking tray and wooden spoon).
    £2014 in 2014 = £2089.52 - £14025.96 / £13694.07. The Other One: £12042.81£11540.91 Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • DebtphobicDeirdre
    You must be getting over the morning (all day) sickness then! How about a dog- as in there was a farmer who had a dog and bingo was his name-o. Good luck- be careful the other competitive Mums, they can be a vicious breed.
    earn what you can, save what you can, give what you can
    • victoriaplum1
    • By victoriaplum1 2nd Oct 07, 9:47 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    victoriaplum1
    me and my bro once won a competition dressed as the owl and !!!!!cat, my mum even made us a pea green boat, its a good idea if she has a little friend also stuck for an idea you could share the glory of winning and its unusual so no one else will think of it
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 2nd Oct 07, 10:06 PM
    • 14,155 Posts
    • 20,822 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    What are little girls made of?
    National Debtline | Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) |Find your local CAB
  • tifnstav
    a bridal hoop could be used as ring a ring o roses by sticking paper roses on, or ones you could make with fabric, give her a pocket full of posies(again more fake flowers) and some tissues. dress her in pink or in something floral to set the theme.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

71Posts Today

2,076Users online

Martin's Twitter