Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 15th May 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1,141Posts
    • 177Thanks
    littlerock
    Moving radiators in house with concrete floors
    • 15th May 17, 1:53 PM
    Moving radiators in house with concrete floors 15th May 17 at 1:53 PM
    My son is about to move into former council house, circa 1920s, with concrete floors. I have not yet been inside, (he gets keys next week) but looked through window and ch pipes are on outside of wall, neatly installed. He wants to move one rad initially to opposite wall. What is recommended way of doing this?
Page 1
    • ST1991
    • By ST1991 15th May 17, 2:03 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    ST1991
    • 15th May 17, 2:03 PM
    • 15th May 17, 2:03 PM
    The pipes will most likely run beneath the floorboards upstairs, so should be able to be moved by removing the floorboards and redirecting them to exit against a different wall downstairs.

Although, i'm not sure how much that would cost, it is do-able.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 15th May 17, 3:43 PM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 15th May 17, 3:43 PM
    • 15th May 17, 3:43 PM
    Or, if the ceiling in the room is coming down, they could be re-routed that way. I've just had mine done in the kitchen, but the ceiling was coming down anyway.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 17th May 17, 11:22 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 17th May 17, 11:22 PM
    • 17th May 17, 11:22 PM
    Rad to be moved is in the front room downstairs opposite the window. Want to relocate rad under the window in order to put bookshelves on the wall where rad is now. No plans to do any other structural work in the room.
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 18th May 17, 12:23 AM
    • 331 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    Sambella
    • 18th May 17, 12:23 AM
    • 18th May 17, 12:23 AM
    My house has concrete floors.

Really you need to get in the house and see where all the pipework is.

My radiator under the window in the living room is fed from pipes in my hallway. These go through the wall near the door and it then goes along one wall and then onto the next wall where the window is. All boxed in with skirting a bit deeper than usual. If there is a radiator in the hallway you might be able to do this.

Other option is as mentioned below, reroute pipes under upstairs floor to run down. These will need boxing in.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 18th May 17, 12:31 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 18th May 17, 12:31 AM
    • 18th May 17, 12:31 AM
    Probably a bad idea efficiency wise.

Sometimes there is no other choice but radiators under windows mean a lot of the heat will go out the window.

Last house had 2 not under windows. This one has just 2 under. it is much cheaper to heat.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by Carrot007; 18-05-2017 at 12:38 AM. Reason: now to not!
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 18th May 17, 6:48 AM
    • 5,213 Posts
    • 4,712 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 18th May 17, 6:48 AM
    • 18th May 17, 6:48 AM

Sometimes there is no other choice but radiators under windows mean a lot of the heat will go out the window.

Last house had 2 not under windows. This one has just 2 under. it is much cheaper to heat.

Just a thought.
    Originally posted by Carrot007

I always thought the convention was to purposely locate radiators under windows to stop a cold draught being caused as the window cools the air next to it.

https://www.first-utility.com/the-utility-room/energy-uncovered/radiators-under-windows
    • lush walrus
    • By lush walrus 18th May 17, 7:04 AM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    lush walrus
    • 18th May 17, 7:04 AM
    • 18th May 17, 7:04 AM
    I always thought the convention was to purposely locate radiators under windows to stop a cold draught being caused as the window cools the air next to it.

https://www.first-utility.com/the-utility-room/energy-uncovered/radiators-under-windows
    Originally posted by thescouselander
    Yes you are right, heating should always be placed underneath or close as possible to windows. Heat rises and cold air falls therefore the two mix at the window and the air is temperate.
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 18th May 17, 9:17 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    • 18th May 17, 9:17 PM
    • 18th May 17, 9:17 PM

Just a thought.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Rubbish - radiators are actually about 70% convective and 30% radiation despite the name, so a position under the window is the preferred option efficiency and heat distribution wise.

Your current house may be cheaper to run but it's not because of this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,330Posts Today

6,224Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin