Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smiley333
    • By smiley333 15th May 17, 10:28 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 35Thanks
    smiley333
    My not so secret diary.
    • 15th May 17, 10:28 AM
    My not so secret diary. 15th May 17 at 10:28 AM
    Finally realised last night I can no longer keep my head in the sand. Joined mse credit club last night and nearly keeled over when I saw my credit report... worse than what I thought.
    I know my debt is relatively small compared to others but this is my debt and even dp doesn't know I have it. (He knows I use my overdraft but that's it).
    Thought it's time to wise up and crack on with debt busting. . . And once I've built up the courage I'll talk to dp.
    Few things- there's me, fiance and two kids in the a rented house. I'm part time term time job and he's full time with one car. Next goal is to save for a deposit on a house..and to get married (no wedding though)!
    May post an soa but don't know how that'll work. Our current arrangement is oh pays for rent, oil and any big payments. I pay all bills, food, petrol, presents, day to day payments and my debt repayments. Strange but works cos oh is a tight git.
Page 1
    • smiley333
    • By smiley333 15th May 17, 10:45 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    smiley333
    • 15th May 17, 10:45 AM
    • 15th May 17, 10:45 AM
    Current debts as follows;
    Overdraft- £800 (always hit my limit each month)
    Cc1 - £1145/1200 (no longer 0% on my list to contact for interest rate)
    Cc2 - £570.52/660 (0% interest until Aug 2018)
    Catelogue - £590.79 (have emailed for interest rate)
    Family - £1960 (no rush on this)
    Also need to put some money into the kids accounts.

Need to boost savings for summer as I'm term time I don't get paid and need at least £400 to cover bills for August and September's payment.
    Also have tax and mot due 1st of August, will save as much as I can but won't worry as oh will have to help.( He takes nothing to do with the car).
    • smiley333
    • By smiley333 15th May 17, 10:53 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    smiley333
    • 15th May 17, 10:53 AM
    • 15th May 17, 10:53 AM
    So plan today is;
    Email catelogue and cc requesting interest rates.
    List more items on eBay.
    Catch up on surveys this evening.
    Write meal plan for week. (Sw style too and stick to it.)
    Catch up on competitions.
    Bed early!
    • smiley333
    • By smiley333 16th May 17, 9:04 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    smiley333
    • 16th May 17, 9:04 AM
    • 16th May 17, 9:04 AM
    Manage 3 out of 6 on the to do list. Didn't do the meal plan but have a rough one in my head so Mr t shop last night was £24 and should last me to Friday.

Today I must:
    Check surveys (I know I can cash out one to paypal)
    Register on the electoral roll
    Put more things on eBay
    Start that dreaded ironing
    More comps
    And seriously go to bed early. Lo had me up at half 5... that's way too early to work.
    • smiley333
    • By smiley333 16th May 17, 9:06 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    smiley333
    • 16th May 17, 9:06 AM
    • 16th May 17, 9:06 AM
    Ohh also closed my very account yesterday.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 16th May 17, 10:18 AM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 21,375 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    • 16th May 17, 10:18 AM
    • 16th May 17, 10:18 AM
    Welcome smiley!!

You have done quite a bit already in getting sorted - well done!!

I am concerned about your comment about how you split the bills and then you added 'Strange but works cos oh is a tight git'.

I am not sure if it does work as you have debt and presumably he doesn't.

If you only work term time do you also get paid in holidays so your salary is split equally over 12 months or do you only get paid for what you work?

It would be interesting to see the income and outgoings for both of you as it seems your partner has a lot more disposable income than you and what does he buy that counts as big things and how often do they crop up.
    I feel a bit sorry for you getting such a raw deal (((smiley)))
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for July
    NSD - 8/16
    (up to 15/08/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • smiley333
    • By smiley333 16th May 17, 10:34 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    smiley333
    • 16th May 17, 10:34 AM
    • 16th May 17, 10:34 AM
    Since we moved in together we had split all bills 50/50. However once I had our 1st child i obviously dropped income I went from full time to part time. He has never been forthcoming with money but he's getting better.
    So for around 4 years after with me finishing uni and not working and our 2nd child i used my ccs overdraft and catelogue to keep me going. We've had some rough patches in that time. But thankfully over the last 2 years with me going back to work and as a couple were working better together. Ie. He's realised he's gotta let go with his money.
    He's full time roughly 1.5k a month and me I'm half of that so yes he's plenty of deposable income. But i see that debt as my debt that I've ran up trying to cope and I'll be the one to get rid of it. I will not use our savings because buying a house is our priority.
    Tbf I will admit sometimes I feel hard done by when I've literally no disposable income left at the end of the month and he can (but doesnt) have plenty. But he's saving for a deposit for our house or an emergency. He pays the rent, oil, holidays, Christmas and outgoings everything else is saved.
    I suppose it's easier for me to buy all the small things because I'm the one at home with the kids and doing the shopping. Yeh i work term time only and my pay changes every month I only get paid for what I've worked and then holidays are paid biannually. It's such a pain but the benefits outweigh that.
    • smiley333
    • By smiley333 16th May 17, 10:36 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    smiley333
    • 16th May 17, 10:36 AM
    • 16th May 17, 10:36 AM
    I meant he has plenty of disposable income left but he doesn't spend it.
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 16th May 17, 10:53 AM
    • 507 Posts
    • 2,245 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    • 16th May 17, 10:53 AM
    • 16th May 17, 10:53 AM
    Hi Smiley, welcome to the boards and well done on what you've done so far

I think it would be really useful for you to work out a budget in advance for some of those expenses. I'm the one that always buys presents (partly because I do enjoy shopping for them and partly because I'm more organised than OH) but after Xmas I had to put my foot down. Our present-giving costs kept going up and up (lots of new babies in the family) and while he was pleased that "we" had given lovely, thoughtful presents, it was me that was stuck with the cost of them. Which all went on my credit card!

I think my OH is a bit "conveniently forgetful" about things like presents, or if I buy tickets to an event etc, or even some the luxury extras he wants to add to our grocery shopping every couple of weeks. He'll remember a one-off type expense that he's covered, like Road Tax for the car, but it doesn't register that I'm spending much more on some of our supposedly shared expenses. Partly that is my fault, because I haven't been explicit about how much these things cost (or even kept a running total for my own information), so now I've worked out a budget in advance and I've given back the responsibility for some of the gift-buying to him.
    Georgiana, Duchess of Debt-shire's July 2017 Debt Totals: HSBC Loan £11,362.14 / MBNA £3318.34 / Barclaycard £6360.70 / Lloyds £3560 / Tesco £972.50/ Dreams £259

And don't forget the Student Loan! £10,765.93 (April 2017)
    • smiley333
    • By smiley333 16th May 17, 11:21 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    smiley333
    Hi Georgiana. I am super duper organised I'm constantly with my diary in my hand. I have all expenses accounted and usually big unexpected expenses are covered by other half. But yeh my other half just forgets things a lot I'd literally have to drag him to the cash machine to lift money for me. You know only last month I managed to get him to do online banking for the first time and that's because our bank branch is closing in August and that's where we pay the rent... I told him under no circumstances am I driving to another town to lodge money... I do enough! (Put my foot down). I do make him sound like a horrible git but after nearly 10 years together he's definitely loosening the reins on the wallet. He happily paid for my birthday weekend away and he will probably for most of expenses too.
    Well get there.
    • smiley333
    • By smiley333 17th May 17, 9:57 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    smiley333
    Mange some surveys and comps and more items on eBay. Meal planner done for the week. Must register on the electoral roll, get passport photos done and check bank accounts later.
    Very busy in work at the moment so I need to make some time to organise everything later.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,532Users online

Martin's Twitter