Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AZ1066
    • By AZ1066 15th May 17, 9:21 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 3Thanks
    AZ1066
    Reducing hours ehil on probationary period
    • 15th May 17, 9:21 AM
    Reducing hours ehil on probationary period 15th May 17 at 9:21 AM
    I started a new job a month ago, there was confusion in the interview where they misunderstood how many hours I wanted (22.5 but given 34.5). I should have said something but we managed to work childcare so it was fine. Since I've started they've been finding it hard to fit staff into shifts as they actually over employed, a couple of people have mentioned if I wanted to drop a shift it would probably be welcomed. Ideally I would as we would save on childcare. My question is- what's the etiquette on doing this so early into a new job, and can it be done while on probation ( 6 month probation). I want to know where I stand before mentioning it to my line manager! For context it's NHS shifts on maternity ward.
    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • AZ1066
    • By AZ1066 15th May 17, 9:22 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    AZ1066
    • 15th May 17, 9:22 AM
    • 15th May 17, 9:22 AM
    Title should be WHILE on probationary period!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 15th May 17, 9:32 AM
    • 29,994 Posts
    • 17,925 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 15th May 17, 9:32 AM
    • 15th May 17, 9:32 AM
    Just ask if they have overstaffed and want to cut the budget should be no problem,

you are offering to help out not insisting on reduced hours.

you can add the bit about the misunderstanding on the hours it might be that they know but also kept quiet about it.
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 15th May 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    penguingirl
    • 15th May 17, 11:31 AM
    • 15th May 17, 11:31 AM
    I would have an informal conversation with your manager, maybe discuss it in supervision? And then take it from there.
    • AZ1066
    • By AZ1066 16th May 17, 5:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    AZ1066
    • 16th May 17, 5:51 PM
    • 16th May 17, 5:51 PM
    Thanks penguin and getmore. Had a team meeting today and the issue of everyone's shifts was raised- and how it would work as there were too many hours not enough shifts, so I volunteered to drop a shift, it went down well so will wait and see!
    • Cesy
    • By Cesy 17th May 17, 7:30 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cesy
    • 17th May 17, 7:30 AM
    Reduce hours
    • 17th May 17, 7:30 AM
    Hi I'm wondering if anyone could help, I started my current job 6 months ago and I'm doing maternity cover for someone. I'm really struggling and wanted to reduce my hours, because I'm doing maternity cover would I be expected to work the hours the other girl worked or would this be ok to ask? I'm terrified of asking!
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 17th May 17, 8:29 AM
    • 18,728 Posts
    • 19,028 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 17th May 17, 8:29 AM
    • 17th May 17, 8:29 AM
    If you're really struggling, how would reducing your hours help? I can see that it might reduce stress, but I can't think how it helps your employer. When you're negotiating, you have to think of what you have to offer THEM.

Anyway, probably best if you start your own thread, so this one can be updated if there is any more news about AZ1066's situation.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,597Posts Today

8,792Users online

Martin's Twitter