Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 15th May 17, 8:44 AM
    • 19,989Posts
    • 227,247Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 15th May 2017
    • 15th May 17, 8:44 AM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 15th May 2017 15th May 17 at 8:44 AM
    Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Thank you Natty for last week's thread (link to follow)

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

post under construction - JUST LOST LIST AAAAARGH

Monday Munchroom Mess - Kitchen and Dining Room

Level 1
    Empty bin and wipe it out
    Clear sides and wipe down
    Wipe stuff as you put it back - kettle etc
    Clear table; dust, wipe/polish - don't forget the legs
    Clean whatever you sit on - barstools (I'm cross now as this is list two lol) or chairs! Don't forget the legs - and turn them over and look under the seat...told you! How icky does it get where fingers go and eyes don't see!

Level 2
    Rinse out that cloth and wipe sockets and switches and door handles
    Wipe down cupboard fronts and fascias - paying special attention to handles
    Spring clean - pick a neglected drawer or cupboard, empty it and wipe it out.
    Wipe window sills and clean the windows
    Clean out fridge and weave anything on its last leg into your mealplan
    Wipe splashbacks/tiles

Level 3
    Dust any dining room furniture
    Wipe skirting boards
    Sweep/mop/polish floor

Extras
    Binbag Dance
    HHI
    S&S bathroom
    check diary for the week
    Deal with a pile!
    sweep/mop/vacuum floors

Triffic Tuesday - out on the tiles
    (Bathrooms and en suites)

Level 1

Remove shower curtains and towels - wash that shower curtain!
    Wipe down shower screens and cubicles
    Scrub bath
    Give shower heads a bath in lemon juice
    Polish all brightwork (chrome bits - taps & hoses)
    Clean shower tray
    Good glug of bleach down drain

Level 2
    F;ush loo and spray bowl with cream cleaner and SCRUB - under the rim, below the waterline and all over the bowl.

Flush loo again
    Wipe seat, lid and outside of loo - including where you can't see...
    Slop some bleach all over the loo
    With a clean cloth wipe switches, pull cord, door handles and loo roll holder

Level 3
    Scrub the sink = dont forget the plug!
    Bleach the drain
    Wipe the pedestal/cupboard over
    Polish and mirrors, glass and your heated towel rail
    Clean the floor - vacuum or mop
    Put out fresh towels

Extras
    HHI
    S&S kitchen
    Cook a 'double' meal and freeze the spare ready for when you need/deserve a lazy evening
    Book out some me time...or some couple time...or both
    Go through your odd socks - if any of them have been there a l-o-n-g time bit the bullet and bin them!
    If you're working your way through your kitchen cupboards clean out another one!

Wonderful Wednesday - boudoir beautification

Level 1
    Open windows
    strip your bed
    Dust/polish vacuum bed/headboard etc
    Make the bed with fresh linen

Level 2
    Clear the floordrobe/chairdrobe
    Dust and polish furniture

Level 3
    Clean windows
    Vacuum/mop floor

Extras
    S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    HHI
    Have a wonderful Wednesday

Thrilling Thursday - love that lounge

Level 1
    Binbag dance - and shift the gibble out - get it homed!
    Open the window for a freshen up
    Deal with any wilting blooms - and houseplants
    Clean windows
    Wipe sills
    Vacuum pelmets

Level 2
    Clean sofas and chairs - lift those seat pads and vacuum under them, too
    Plump cushions
    Dust lightshades, table lamps and any other lighting

Level 3
    Dust everywhere - including tops of soors, cupboard and skirting boards
    Vacuum/sweep/mop floor

Extras
    Chuck any old magazines/newspapers into the recycling bin
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    Open windows to air the house after all that rain - if it's sunny

Friday Finale

High traffic areas

hallways, stairs, utilities, lobbies...mix it up

Beat any door mats
    Clean any windows
    Dust dusty spots
    Move excess coats and shoes
    Polish any mirrors
    Wipe any sills
    Wipe all light switches and door handles
    Wash OUTSIDE of front door
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floors
    Clear any gibble
    Binbag fling...all that stuff you put down and left - can it go?
    Put all junk mail in recycling - cut windows out of envelopes first - SHRED bits with personal information on first
    Check outside lights are working

Extras
    HHI
    S&S Kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    make sure everything is in its home...tidy is half the battle!
    Last edited by Valli; 19-05-2017 at 9:03 AM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Page 4
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 19th May 17, 6:35 AM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 34,267 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Morning all

Thanks for your kinds words. The dogs eye looks better but I know this may be no indication of what is really going on. He has had to come off the medication he takes for his allergies so now he is itchy. Back at the vets this aft.

Yesterday was taken up with paid stuff and helping DS1 apply for jobs. I did manage to go to my gym class though, first one for a week.

The house isnt too terrible, it could be better in places. Oh and its raining again!

I am really behind on my work for job no. 2 but I am getting more and more reluctant to work weekends. Will see what I manage to get done today.

Have a good Friday everyone x
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 19th May 17, 6:53 AM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 32,695 Thanks
    ionafan
    Morning all.
    Happy Cassie Day, LW
    Hope that you're on the mend, YL, and that Biscuit and atb got some sleep.

I managed a lot of things off my list yesterday, but ended up spending most of the day replying to a dozen emails from my placement supervisor, planning what I am going to do in the remaining 8 weeks (but I'm hoping that I will complete all my hours before then, so that I can finish early) and writing up the placement agreement. Fortunately my supervisor was happy to sign what I had written!

I did manage to get out in the garden for a short time and plant out a few more plants on the rockery. Still a lot to do, though, and now the fence panels are wet again after overnight rain.

Today DH has to go for his scan at 11.00 and wants to take me out to lunch afterwards (or an early evening meal, depending on how long we are tied up at the horse piddle ) but I have developed a sore throat and sinusitis on one side, so I might have to cancel that - anyway, we've got plenty of food in the fridge, ready to eat, and I would hate to waste any of it.

Plan is to do reading first. I must also organise a birthday e-card for one of my German friends and a proper card for DS1's half-birthday on Sunday - his actual birthday is too near Christmas for his liking. I might even bake a cake for him, if time allows. And if I've still got any voice this evening, I must go to choir practice: if not, I'll go in the garden again.

The top hinge on the fixed side of the folding shower door in the ensuite has snapped (was DH too heavy handed???) and now I've got to find a way of repairing it - I don't want to have to buy a whole new door and frame after less than 4 years DH's old neighbour is coming to stay with us for a week in the middle of June, so it's got to be in working order by then. Just another thing sent to try us...

Hope everyone has a good day, and that those with builders in are seeing real progress x
    Last edited by ionafan; 19-05-2017 at 6:57 AM.
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 19th May 17, 7:01 AM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 14,021 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning All

Thanks Iona - another rubbish night's sleep, poor DS now has a very heavy cold, so he is dosed up with calpol. He couldn't breathe properly in the night so I laid with him propped up next to me.

Got loooads to do today, and will be treating myself to a well deserved glass of wine tonight. Just about to fold the dry washing, then will get myself and kiddies dressed. Have already unloaded and reloaded DW, and done some online banking.

I suspect I will be in bed shortly after kiddies tonight!

Big hugs all round xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 5.6.17 - £123,900
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 19th May 17, 7:40 AM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 47,201 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning everyone. Hope the poorlies feel better soon, and have fun with Cassie LW.

Yesterday after I posted I managed to S&S the downstairs loo. Nothing done yet today except eat breakfast, so I'm just about to wash the dishes, then I'll see if there's time to take a look at the list around other dailies.

I have an interview later today (for a temporary job). Posivibes welcome please.

Have a great day everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) August £507.71 Total £7507.71/£12000

• ionafan
    • By ionafan 19th May 17, 7:50 AM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 32,695 Thanks
    ionafan
    I have an interview later today (for a temporary job). Posivibes welcome please.
    Originally posted by Jazee
    Oodles of posivibes heading your way, Jazee. Good luck!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 19th May 17, 8:08 AM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 47,201 Thanks
    Jazee
    Thanks Ionafan.

I have just S&S'd the kitchen.

Magazine rack now sorted.
    Tops of cupboards, doors & skirtings dusted in LR.
    Last edited by Jazee; 19-05-2017 at 8:49 AM. Reason: Updated as I've made progress!

• kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 19th May 17, 8:32 AM
    • 9,233 Posts
    • 117,324 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Morning

Raining here as well
    Down stairs all hoovered, cat hair now gone
    Rubbish in bin
    General sorting started for the day
    Got to do some work for job 2 admin type stuff
    Sun, Sea
    • Valli
    • By Valli 19th May 17, 10:11 AM
    • 19,989 Posts
    • 227,247 Thanks
    Valli
    Good luck Jazee...

Morning all

Happy flying!
    £5342.65
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 19th May 17, 10:42 AM
    • 35,880 Posts
    • 462,504 Thanks
    pigpen
    Sharing my joy.. I'm all organised today..

Cottage pie made and in te oven for dinner.. the CLEAN oven.. clean!! go me!!
    2x cuppa..
    girls at school on time.. despite it raining and them being in their wellies!
    cheque in bank.. expectinig them to ring as it is from my Argos card which I have had forever so not in CF's surname because I never bothered changing it.

wrapping ebeast parcels to post later and I need to go to chemist.. head lice treatment.. just in case.. they were seen last weekend so I'll redo this weekend to make sure we got them all. I need atheletes foot powder for OH and blue toothpaste for Dot.. she won't use any other colour!

And I ate toast.. remembered childrens ABs and fed the skinny cat.

And I shall pay a bill or 2 while I'm at here.

and my oven's clean.. did I mention that?
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 19th May 17, 11:55 AM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 14,021 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Posi vibes Jazee xx
    MFW
    • karenccs67
    • By karenccs67 19th May 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 5,489 Thanks
    karenccs67
    Afternoon,

Funeral went as expected.

I only managed the basics yesterday. We are going away tomorrow for 3 nights so today I've only done the basics again, I'm packing tonight but in the meantime I'm supposed to take the car to be washed but it's torrential here, a bit pointless really.

Pizza for dinner meaning minimal washing up

Have a lovely weekend and I will catch up next week
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 19th May 17, 12:59 PM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 44,995 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    *Posi-vibes* heading your way, Jazee.

Clean oven eh Piggers? I think a bit of preening is in order.

Struggling to keep up here, trying to fulfil a commitment I made in a rash moment, sinking under the mountain of stuff to do.
    Keeping it AF
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 19th May 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 20,305 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Sprinting to keep up this week but have been focusing on writing reports while Mr N is away and I'm able to eat/sleep/work at whatever unsociable hours suit me. Managed 1st run of week 4 C25K yesterday which I was chuffed about. Today:

- been to Body Attack
    - one load through DW
    - blitzed lounge/diner including dusting, de-webbing, watering plants, polishing mirror and glass cabinet, vacuuming, clearing any debris.
    - vacuumed hall, stairs and kitchen
    - finished and emailed a report
    - made a list. 7 reports to be written before I go away on 30th mind you, one was only assessed yesterday and another isn't being assessed till next Monday.
    - fish out of freezer to do a fish pie later.

Got a student round for tuition at 3pm so just checking her lesson plan; why did I agree to tutor a very complex needs when I'm this busy???

Mr N thought he'd be back from his 'boys bike in Somerset' around 6pm so rather hoping it's not sooner so I can continue blitzing the rest of the house!

Good vibes to all who need them.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 19th May 17, 3:14 PM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 47,201 Thanks
    Jazee
    Thanks all for the posivibes. I got the temporary position, will only be up to four weeks work, but suits me fine at the moment.

• ionafan
    • By ionafan 19th May 17, 4:06 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 32,695 Thanks
    ionafan
    Well done Jazee
    Pigpen, did you say something about a clean oven? Would you like to come and do mine for me?

I phoned our nice plumber this morning about 5 things including the overdue boiler check and he says he will come next week. He thinks he can fix the broken shower door

DH has not got a DVT just a lot of fluid around the ankle, probably because he damaged the soft tissue each time he tripped. AEC have discharged him, and he is allowed to fly so we can go away together next week We went out to lunch to celebrate, using 2 vouchers which meant that 2 starters and 2 mains cost the same as just one main course

Have done other bits and bobs in town; now ready to sit down with a
    I need to send an apology to our choirmaster to say that I can't sing because of my sore throat, so won't be going to practice this evening.
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 19th May 17, 4:12 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 14,021 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Great news Jazee and Iona'S DH

Anyone else very glad its Friday? Done five hours paid stuff, school/pre-school runs, steamed and vaccuumed utility room again and just put the doormat and a load of mucky cloths in to wash. We will all be getting our PJs on shortly , closing the curtains and just being at home for a night!

Spending a day at a pal's tomorrow, but before we drive over there I need to pay some money in, post a letter and fuel up.

See you all tomorrow xx
    MFW
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 19th May 17, 4:44 PM
    • 9,571 Posts
    • 103,399 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Well done on getting the job Jazee. Even a temp position can lead to other things.

Good news Ionafan; it would have been terrible to have to cancel your holiday, not to mention the problems a DVT would have caused healthwise.

Cassie is here. She made a new friend on her afternoon walk, a young choc lab named Joey. Flying next week is likely to consist of 90% Dys0ning up dog hair, because she's moulting, bless her. Luckily she loves being brushed, so it's easy to keep her looking nice and feeling comfortable. I checked my records, and it's her 10th stay with us!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 19th May 17, 5:13 PM
    • 9,233 Posts
    • 117,324 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Jazee well done and good luck, you never know temp may go to perm...........

LW, glad you have a returner to you.

Been to my volunteering job and had fun with kittens............

More general paperwork stuff sorted.
    Sun, Sea
    • Valli
    • By Valli 19th May 17, 8:02 PM
    • 19,989 Posts
    • 227,247 Thanks
    Valli
    thank ...... it's Friday
    £5342.65
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 19th May 17, 9:30 PM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 34,267 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Good news Jazee, hope it leads to a fab new permanent job.

Welcome to the flylady family Cassie-dog, even if its only temporary. Yorkshire dog's eye is healing thank goodness so an op is unlikely but we are told that things can go downhill quickly. And its weekend so any problems would probably need an emergency call out. Keep fingers crossed everyone. We really do have the most fantastic vet through.

So paid stuff no. 1, vet, then paid stuff no. 2. That's about been my day. OH has been unable to work today because of the weather which has been a big help to me but of course that means he hasn't earned any money.

Oh and I was going to crack open a glass of wine but remembered I am taking one of the girlfriends home, better find out what time she wants to go!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

3,071Users online

Martin's Twitter