Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 15th May 17, 8:44 AM
    • 20,163Posts
    • 229,060Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 15th May 2017
    • 15th May 17, 8:44 AM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 15th May 2017 15th May 17 at 8:44 AM
    Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Thank you Natty for last week's thread (link to follow)

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

post under construction - JUST LOST LIST AAAAARGH

Monday Munchroom Mess - Kitchen and Dining Room

Level 1
    Empty bin and wipe it out
    Clear sides and wipe down
    Wipe stuff as you put it back - kettle etc
    Clear table; dust, wipe/polish - don't forget the legs
    Clean whatever you sit on - barstools (I'm cross now as this is list two lol) or chairs! Don't forget the legs - and turn them over and look under the seat...told you! How icky does it get where fingers go and eyes don't see!

Level 2
    Rinse out that cloth and wipe sockets and switches and door handles
    Wipe down cupboard fronts and fascias - paying special attention to handles
    Spring clean - pick a neglected drawer or cupboard, empty it and wipe it out.
    Wipe window sills and clean the windows
    Clean out fridge and weave anything on its last leg into your mealplan
    Wipe splashbacks/tiles

Level 3
    Dust any dining room furniture
    Wipe skirting boards
    Sweep/mop/polish floor

Extras
    Binbag Dance
    HHI
    S&S bathroom
    check diary for the week
    Deal with a pile!
    sweep/mop/vacuum floors

Triffic Tuesday - out on the tiles
    (Bathrooms and en suites)

Level 1

Remove shower curtains and towels - wash that shower curtain!
    Wipe down shower screens and cubicles
    Scrub bath
    Give shower heads a bath in lemon juice
    Polish all brightwork (chrome bits - taps & hoses)
    Clean shower tray
    Good glug of bleach down drain

Level 2
    F;ush loo and spray bowl with cream cleaner and SCRUB - under the rim, below the waterline and all over the bowl.

Flush loo again
    Wipe seat, lid and outside of loo - including where you can't see...
    Slop some bleach all over the loo
    With a clean cloth wipe switches, pull cord, door handles and loo roll holder

Level 3
    Scrub the sink = dont forget the plug!
    Bleach the drain
    Wipe the pedestal/cupboard over
    Polish and mirrors, glass and your heated towel rail
    Clean the floor - vacuum or mop
    Put out fresh towels

Extras
    HHI
    S&S kitchen
    Cook a 'double' meal and freeze the spare ready for when you need/deserve a lazy evening
    Book out some me time...or some couple time...or both
    Go through your odd socks - if any of them have been there a l-o-n-g time bit the bullet and bin them!
    If you're working your way through your kitchen cupboards clean out another one!

Wonderful Wednesday - boudoir beautification

Level 1
    Open windows
    strip your bed
    Dust/polish vacuum bed/headboard etc
    Make the bed with fresh linen

Level 2
    Clear the floordrobe/chairdrobe
    Dust and polish furniture

Level 3
    Clean windows
    Vacuum/mop floor

Extras
    S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    HHI
    Have a wonderful Wednesday

Thrilling Thursday - love that lounge

Level 1
    Binbag dance - and shift the gibble out - get it homed!
    Open the window for a freshen up
    Deal with any wilting blooms - and houseplants
    Clean windows
    Wipe sills
    Vacuum pelmets

Level 2
    Clean sofas and chairs - lift those seat pads and vacuum under them, too
    Plump cushions
    Dust lightshades, table lamps and any other lighting

Level 3
    Dust everywhere - including tops of soors, cupboard and skirting boards
    Vacuum/sweep/mop floor

Extras
    Chuck any old magazines/newspapers into the recycling bin
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    Open windows to air the house after all that rain - if it's sunny

Friday Finale

High traffic areas

hallways, stairs, utilities, lobbies...mix it up

Beat any door mats
    Clean any windows
    Dust dusty spots
    Move excess coats and shoes
    Polish any mirrors
    Wipe any sills
    Wipe all light switches and door handles
    Wash OUTSIDE of front door
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floors
    Clear any gibble
    Binbag fling...all that stuff you put down and left - can it go?
    Put all junk mail in recycling - cut windows out of envelopes first - SHRED bits with personal information on first
    Check outside lights are working

Extras
    HHI
    S&S Kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    make sure everything is in its home...tidy is half the battle!
    Last edited by Valli; 19-05-2017 at 9:03 AM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Page 2
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 16th May 17, 7:39 AM
    • 2,267 Posts
    • 33,893 Thanks
    ionafan
    Morning all, and to YL. I'm here too. Just about.

The four hours I spent taking DH to the GP surgery and then on to the hospital were not on my plan for yesterday His ankle and leg are still very swollen and the GP was afraid that he had a thrombosis. The hospital is not sure, but a thrombosis is unlikely because he is already on blood thinning meds to prevent TIAs - they think he probably has tissue damage from the three occasions since the beginning of April when he has tripped and almost fallen. (DH keeps insisting "It's my Achilles tendon" though no-one in the medical profession has actually said that!) He now has to take it easy all week, with no working i.e. volunteering, and has to go back to hospital on Friday morning for a vascular scan. That means cancelling a visit by my friend to talk about the work we do together (some of you will remember the resource boxes project) And it's not looking promising for our long weekend in Germany at the end of this month.

Hey-ho.

I have caught up with a bit of the sleep that I had lost over the past fortnight so am hoping to get some reading done this morning.

I will try to do Level 1 each day this week - just a couple of items to catch up from yesterday. The house isn't too bad, all things considered, but I am desperate to get out in the garden and tidy the borders before the jungle effect takes over completely. I've got lots of plants still in pots, and I need to fill my veg trug and sow more seeds. Oh yes, and did I mention the fence panels that need painting?

My placement is still ongoing. I'm enjoying it very much, and I often get to sit down and chat over a cuppa, so I'm counting that as my "me" time.

Today I must go to SW and see if I've managed to budge the lbs that I had put on last week, and it's college this evening.

Pigpen, how is Squeak?
    Welcome to newbies and (((hugs))) spoons and sticks to everyone as needed.

See you sometime x
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 16th May 17, 1:39 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 47,196 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I hope Bossy's okay. Not heard from her for a day or two.

*Healing vibes* for Mr Ionafan and Squeak, together with anyone else under the weather.

Thanks for the suggestions Kazwookie. This dehumidifier has been a proper workhorse and absolutely reliable for years. We've tried it in three different sockets and changed the fuse after which it worked for a bit and then conked out again. Something's not right but we can't find another one that has the same capacity so that I can leave it trudling away at the chalet for a couple of weeks. It really needs a repair but I can't find anyone who's willing to look at it.

I have an entire pond-full; shall I send some of them your way?
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    How kind, Lamewolf, for suggesting I could take on some of your pondlife but it's taken me years to eat all of mine so I'm taking a rest from them thank you very much. It's not that there isn't stuff I've got to tackle, it's just that a steady diet of frog fricasse, frog a la mode, frog pancakes, spiced and curried frog with rice and frog fingers - I'm all done with them for the moment.

You sound as though you are straight back in, doing a huge amount again Lynnejk.

Ground floor chivvied back into some semblance of normality. Various hotspots tidied away, things that I need a bit of attention to be fixed piled together so I can tackle them at the same time when I'm in town, and broken things that may have to taken to the dump (sob) all corralled together, too. I might do some filing again to clear that before it becomes a hottter than hot hotspot. I'm learning to loathe hotspots.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 16-05-2017 at 1:42 PM.
    Keeping it AF
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 16th May 17, 2:06 PM
    • 10,051 Posts
    • 108,014 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I'm sort of ahead of the List today; for years we've done the bathroom at the weekends because I can't manage to do a proper job on it unaided, and we've continued thus even after Mr LW retired, so today's room has already been done.

Just as well though; as I lost a bit of time this morning. Since the problem with my shoulder, the routine has been that once we've both had our bath in the morning, Mr LW puts the infrasound machine on my shoulder for a bit (I can't reach to do it myself) and then help me dress; so this morning I was waiting for him to come and do this as usual.... and waiting.... and waiting.... finally I investigated, to find him sat in the lounge with his nose in a book.

I feel a need to get out somewhere; apart from a bit of tidying in the back garden, I haven't left the house for a week now; but there's nothing I need to get at present, and the weather isn't very good for getting the buggy out and just going for a trundle. Roll on Friday, when Cassie arrives.

GWS vibes for all those who are poorly or just under the weather.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 16th May 17, 3:42 PM
    • 2,059 Posts
    • 30,062 Thanks
    dancemum
    2xwm done plus a towel wash
    Ground floor vaccummed

Flying done in Parents' kitchen as they had a visitor

I have treated myself to a perspex makeup organiser for my bedside table (frog). I will tackle this later.
    • rb6ac
    • By rb6ac 16th May 17, 3:59 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    rb6ac
    Thanks for the welcome everyone, and today's list. Bathroom cleaned and some admin jobs completed today- time to sit down with a book I think!
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 16th May 17, 4:32 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 16,438 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    . Today, as well as the list, I need to

- Do three hours paid stuff DONE
    - Take something back to a shop - NOT DONE, WILL DO TOMORROW
    - Send above letter NOT DONE - BAD ATB

- Buy some mushrooms - DONE
    - Shuffle some money into savings - DONE
    - Collect DS from MiL - DONE
    - Visit grandma - DONE
    - Go and pay in a cheque - NOT DONE - TOMORROW
    - Chase up some consultancy money owed to me - DONE
    Originally posted by atypicalblonde
    Will draft said letter now so I can print and post first thing tomorrow. Just doing kiddies tea, then will vacuum and steam floors (again - will this rain and it's accompanying muddiness ever end). DH will be home late.

Really hope Bossy is ok xx
    Hope today has been less problematic YL xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.11.17 - £119,999.04
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 16th May 17, 5:31 PM
    • 9,358 Posts
    • 118,616 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Been on my long drive today, saw the coast 24C, parked up for a walk around on the way back, next to me pulled in a large white car and out got 3 coppers, an unmarked police car, they wander off and the car was talking to itself, must have been the radios or similar.

Dinner done
    DW on
    it is raining so evening garden is out...........
    Sun, Sea
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 16th May 17, 6:50 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 48,045 Thanks
    Jazee
    Afternoon all. Quite quiet on here so I'm assume everyone is busy flying.

Before the job search today I did most of the dailies and dusted the dusty bits in the HSL. Have also done two dog walks.

About to go out this evening and tomorrow I have to go into the office.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) December £355 Total £12694.84/£12000

• Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 16th May 17, 6:58 PM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 21,009 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    I'm on my own time scale today as Mr N has gone away for a few days with some biker friends. Would have been nice to go but I've 6 reports to finish and various other bits in the last couple of weeks of uni work before I go on holiday.

- posted parcel
    - did zumba
    - went to physio
    - 2 loads of washing done; 1 dry, brought in and put away the rest still on the line. Hot hear today.
    - finished and emailed a report
    - will finish another this eve
    - took MIL to library, got her a new card and a book
    - filled bird feeders
    - watered some plants
    - did a bit of tidying in the bedroom
    - caught up with loads of emails

Feeling hungry now so I guess I'll eat next! After meal will:
    - finish report
    - sort out paperwork for next 2 days of assessments
    - download week 4 of C25K

Let's not put anything else on
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • karenccs67
    • By karenccs67 16th May 17, 8:00 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 5,490 Thanks
    karenccs67
    Evening everyone,

I started off with good intentions but ended up with a tummy ache and decided to have a soak in a hot bath but I did clean the bathroom including hoovering and steam cleaning the floor. 2 X WM, be rude not to take advantage of the warm weather and get the washing dry. I've cleaned up the kitchen tonight too.

I'm a new convert to Zoflora, apart from being antibacterial and it smells lovely, it's money saving too, does anyone else use it?
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
    • Biscuit monster
    • By Biscuit monster 16th May 17, 8:23 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 9,533 Thanks
    Biscuit monster
    Evening all,

Paid stuff done, daily stuff done. Tomorrow is going to be massively busy and stressful, so tonight I'm going to have an early night and conserve my energy!
    iona healing vibes to your DH, hope he improves x
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 16th May 17, 8:56 PM
    • 6,821 Posts
    • 87,041 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Ooo hello, sorry I'm late, just haven't had time to get online. Nothing to worry about

Got rather a lot to do here at the mo, seem to have diary full of appointments and stuff, at least one today was nice with a well overdue hair cut!!!

Had some good news about ominous lump (mine, not Guinea pig this time ) and that's all tested and nothing to be alarmed by. Phew. Think I've fixed a shower leak with the help of my dad, or he had my help, lol. And a complete !!!!-up with my new blinds.

Lots going on with coming up to the end of my course, I'm on target so far but the work has ramped up and it's taking a bit of discipline to do it...

Thank you for the lists, I'm probably not in this week if I'm honest. But I seem to be plugging away and it's not in too much of a state.

Much hugs to any poorlies on the flylady sofa, and welcomes to new flyladies too xxx
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 16th May 17, 10:02 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 4,561 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Get well soon wishes to your DH, Iona.

I'm confessing right now to absolutely minimal flying today. WM has run, but yesterday's washing is still struggling to dry, so I'm not really sure why I bothered. It's rained pretty much all day here, so the washing is hanging on the line inside. I changed our bedding when I got home this evening. Obviously the thought of even more washing hanging around tomorrow seemed really attractive....

Apart from that, nothing. But somehow I have only just sat down with a cuppa. Oh yes - I have ordered a new iron.....is it wrong that that was the best part of my day
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 17th May 17, 7:15 AM
    • 4,388 Posts
    • 35,780 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Morning all

I am here, very snuffly, dont particularly feel ill but I have an awful head cold so have cancelled all my gym/classes until later in the week. This does give me a lot more time!

Paid stuff x 2 today, job no. 2 from home. It is raining so I think DH will not be able to work (the job he is currently doing requires dry weather) and DS1 is not at work so hopefully they can take care of meals/dishwasher etc.

Right, shower and dressed. Dont feel particularly motivated!
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 17th May 17, 7:20 AM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 16,438 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all,

The money has finally been returned to us, hurrah

Been up since 5.30 and loads done. WM unloaded and on heated airer, kiddies fed and dressed, done some online banking and WUDUPA. Also vacuumed the utility room and made packed lunches.

Two hours paid stuff this morning, then home to do some work for DH and some general admin. Really wish this rain would b&&&er off.

Thinking of you and your DH Iona xx

Off to make myself an omelette then commence the school run - onwards! xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.11.17 - £119,999.04
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 17th May 17, 7:25 AM
    • 2,059 Posts
    • 30,062 Thanks
    dancemum
    YL hope you feel better soon x

Rainy day here. I have to pop to the chemist at some point but the rest of the day I have no excuses not to fly.

Wm is on and kitchen windowsill wiped. Back soon x
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 17th May 17, 7:34 AM
    • 9,358 Posts
    • 118,616 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Off to sorting office to collect a 'sign for' package

It is rainig atm, I want to do the garden and weed today, but I am not going to get wet doing it, so I need a plan B..................
    Sun, Sea
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 17th May 17, 7:59 AM
    • 2,267 Posts
    • 33,893 Thanks
    ionafan
    Very pleased you've got your money back, atb
    Good to see you, Bossy.

Thanks for all good wishes for my DH.
    There has been a muddle over submission dates for my next assignment (relating to the presentation I did on Saturday). Now I have to complete a 1500 word assignment by a week today Not a happy bunny!

I must fly in the garden at some point today - it's getting desperate out there. And I need exercise and fresh air.

So, plan for this morning is:
    - make a cuppa for DH
    - shower, then S&S bathroom
    - file papers from last night's lecture and others that I have printed out this morning (I can't read off the computer screen because I need to highlight things to have any hope of remembering them)
    - Spend at least 3 hours on the assignment - must concentrate!
    - S&S kitchen and ensuite when DH has finished in both places
    - Make soup for lunch
    - Gardening for an hour or two
    - More reading if time, but a few zzz might take priority - I definitely don't get enough sleep at night: whatever time I go to bed, I always wake at 5.15 in the summer
    - Stir fry for tea
    - Out this evening for a meeting re my placement

Will catch up later. (((Hugs))) and sticks all round as needed - I may just need to keep hold of my own spoons today.
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 17th May 17, 8:44 AM
    • 2,059 Posts
    • 30,062 Thanks
    dancemum
    First HHC results

Towels collected and bunged in the wm
    Ground floor vaccummed
    Bathroom S&s
    Ds2 put on school bus
    Cat fed
    Bedside table emptied
    Downstairs bins emptied outside (in to wheelies not just out of the window)

Good luck with the essay Ionafan and I hope your DH is on the mend again.

Kazwookie Hope plan B is a good one X

Bossy Glad you are ok X

Honey bear congratulations on completing your frog diet X

Welcome to the new people X

I'm just finishing my strawberries and bran flakes then off for another HHC x

2nd HHC
    Towels in TD
    Toilet deep cleaned
    Towel rail cleaned
    Bed side table cleaned with cream cleaner
    Phone call taken

Having 5 mins on sofa then off on another HHC
    Last edited by dancemum; 17-05-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 17th May 17, 10:46 AM
    • 9,358 Posts
    • 118,616 Thanks
    kazwookie
    ahhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Been to collect package
    Plan B is not yet in operations...........it is chucking it down now......................
    I am sat about on internet....................not good.
    I've sorted out underware draw and a 2 draw bit of the wardrobe........dumped all old and damage stuff.
    I've sort out my handbag
    I've cleaned the kitchen
    Sun, Sea
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,193Posts Today

7,441Users online

Martin's Twitter