Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th May 17, 6:59 AM
    • 6,201Posts
    • 34,837Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? W/C 15 May
    • 15th May 17, 6:59 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? W/C 15 May 15th May 17 at 6:59 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 264.46 Roadkill 28.25
    Wombling '17 May /YTD 1907.45/Roadkill 8.53
    CCC 85.94/250 CC saved 1015 Veg grown 5.29
Page 4
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 19th May 17, 7:15 AM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 23,292 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi,

* Go to work.

* Stay away from the vendy machines.

* Added to Savings.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 3500
    Survey Rewards 2017: 64
    Swim for Sanity: 1810m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 19th May 17, 7:43 AM
    • 6,201 Posts
    • 34,837 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning ally good luck with the vending machine! I've moved to an office with one and it does get me every couple of weeks.... I have a weakness for crisps when stressed but if I buy a multi pack I'll eat them all in one sitting!

Ok quick post for me as have started working. I have madam today as CM had to close because she is sick, but I still need to work. I figure if I do 3 hours this morning (she's always quite self sufficient in the mornings!) then I can have a break with her, then do some more later/this evening! We'll see how we get on....

Small things:

* exchanged tesco rewards for 40 cafe rouge vouchers
    * emailed said vouchers to oh & asked him to print
    * drop some clothes & shoes off to the charity recycling place
    * all meals from stores
    * grab something out of freezer for oh/madam's dinner. I'll have lo chilli mmmmm
    * write shopping list. Have been offered 5000 reward points with M0rrisons if I do a shop of 40 before 21st. I think that works out to be a 5 voucher will use cashback card to pay for it as well
    * need to transfer cash to joint account/oh to pay it/him back following holiday/festival....
    * take madam swimming using membership
    * finally go to library
    * chop and freezer ginger
    * check on plants will actually do some potting on/sowing today

Right that's all for now. I better get on! Happy Friday guys
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 264.46 Roadkill 28.25
    Wombling '17 May /YTD 1907.45/Roadkill 8.53
    CCC 85.94/250 CC saved 1015 Veg grown 5.29
    • Twins
    • By Twins 19th May 17, 8:25 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    Twins
    Happy Friday everyone

Hope everyone is doing well.

Bit annoyed with myself this morning, I had a watch on a maxi dress on eBay but I totally forgot the bidding finished yesterday (thought it was today) and so I missed out Oh well.... wasn't supposed to be I suppose. eBay is funny though, I have some items that don't sell at 99p and I've got one top on there at the moment that's had 116 view and has 14 watchers!

Today's list is:

- Go to the bank and deposit the 1 coins from the Terramundi into the savings account
    - Make my weekly food meal plan
    - Complete surveys and get onto Swags
    - Get in a free workout at home from YT
    - Lunch from home
    - Check bank account

Think that's all for now. Enjoy your day everyone
    LBM April 2011 Debt 30,800 now in DMP land
    Self Managing my DMP May 2017

Slowly chipping away at my debts: April 17 17,388
    Debt free date: Jan 2023 Dec 2022. I will be free
    2 Savers club #39
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 19th May 17, 8:27 AM
    • 968 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    katy_ann
    Morning everyone I'm taking LO to a ryhme time session at the library this morning then popping to the shops to get some essentials Other than that today:

- Check bank accounts - I might just make it until payday Tuesday!
    - Get LO food, batteries and a few other essentials
    - Eat healthily and all meals from home
    - Hoover & dust living room
    - Load of washing on and to be tumbled dry

Have a lovely Friday everyone! X
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Married on 02/07/2016 | Little Man Born on 25/11/2016
    2 Savers Club 2017 No.4
    • Julie67
    • By Julie67 19th May 17, 9:16 AM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 20,898 Thanks
    Julie67
    Morning all, hope you are well,

I'm getting us organised for our weekend away at my daughters wedding this morning so feeling excited.
    I've got to get my card wrote and presents wrapped.
    Todays list include
    -pop into Card Warehouse(i've heard they have a reduced section)
    -I also want to have a quick look in Lidl (Christmas pressies)
    --We need bread again!
    -Check bank account
    -Have a look at Quidco, I really must start using this
    -Dinner tonight will be duck breast bought in the reduced section

Have a good Friday all x
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017. Total debt 23,861.33
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 19th May 17, 10:06 AM
    • 3,495 Posts
    • 16,503 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Friday Frugal People,
    A whole day at home today. No political stuff to do, no meetings, no training courses, no funerals, just a day of me trying to get my head around various difficult bits of stuff while catching up with all the tasks that have been mounting up. On the money saving front, I've already:
    *Cleaned whole house using my diluted Stardrops spray bottle & washable cloths. Bins cleaned out, tidying done, bed linen changed, just need to hoover downstairs.
    *Changed towels & loaded washer to fit these in on a cheap overnight wash when we look to be expecting a non-rainy day when I can actually peg out.
    *Wrapped 3 ebay parcels to post tomorrow, using recycled materials. I only buy sticky labels (on a roll from Wilko's which last ages) & brown parcel tape.
    *Did 2 surveys.
    *Checked CC bill & straightened out budgets.
    *Discussed next week's meal plan with mr f.
    *Put cash ready to pay the Grimsby fish man when he arrives this afternoon.....also sharpened knife for cutting the fish into portions for freezing. Fish is never cheap - it shouldn't be, as people risk their lives to catch it - & I like to get as many portions/meals as possible from my order, which is every 2 months.
    Still to do:
    *Soup from freezer for lunch, plus whatever needs using up from fridge.
    *Write 2 letters.....then I can get them weighed & posted tomorrow while I'm doing the ebay posting, instead of needing a 2nd trip........even little parking fees add up over a month.
    *Check greenhouse veggies.
    *Write shopping list.
    *Find Co-op vouchers as there's about 3-50 of dividend on items that will defo be on our shopping list.
    *Make a use-it-up salad to go with my jacket potato tonight - freezer dive night tonight, so will each be deciding what we want to use up for toppings. Very good way of using up single portions of stuff from the freezer.
    *Knit more of current socks for friend to go in Presents Box. The frilly cast-on (which I was making up as I went along) has worked......looks nice, I think she'll love them. Sock yarn 1 a ball from 'Tiger'. (2 balls required for a pair of socks) Fibre content the same as brands I usually use, so I stocked up. Have also been gifted lots of sock yarn, so if I keep my needles clicking, I will have lots of Christmas presents made by the end of summer.
    *Free entertainment - listening to Chris Packham's autobiography 'Fingers in the sparkle jar' on audiobook. Both touching, interesting & amusing for those who like wildlife (& the 1970s!)
    OK, I must get the kettle on now, & crack on with these letters, neither of which will be easy to write, so must get my caffiene levels topped up.
    Love to all,
    F xx
    Last edited by foxgloves; 19-05-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 854-00
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 185
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th May 17, 10:54 AM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 26,587 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Gosh you lot are lovely. I know this time of year is manic when things are good, and things aren't great at the moment to be honest. As is now the norm I am busy and also tired. One more week and today to survive until half term. I slept ok last night but still feel quite tired this morning and I'm finding it really tough to get motivated. At the moment with work I'm seeing lots of problems and very few solutions... maybe time for me to sit down with the Head again at some point soon and try to talk it out.
    Didn't want to have to spend money today but there is a big family meal tonight. My cousin got married abroad a few weeks ago and is now having celebrations back in the uk. Tonight is a big family meal which me and the kids are going to, and tomorrow is the wedding celebration which I'm meant to be going to but it will entirely depend on how I'm feeling...
    NST May #13 NSD 7/16 RYSAW17 #1 412.74 20p Savers #88 1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 19th May 17, 11:42 AM
    • 4,371 Posts
    • 15,959 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Morning all, it's a slow day here today so it's probably going to drag and I'm definitely looking forward to the weekend!

I remembered to bring in lunch today and my last pack of frozen YS raspberries. Since I prefer them still slightly frozen I will check out the pre frozen ones at the big SM at the weekend for when YS ones are thin on the ground.

I have arranged to go to view an M&S ebay sofa tomorrow before bidding, I'm not going to make the same mistake as last time, I need to get the other two up on ebay and FB this weekend

Tonight will be my night for completing trades and wrapping packages so I need to pick up some suitably-sized boxes when I do the YS run.

No dirty protests from the cats anywhere last night, in the litter tray or otherwise.

I'm in two minds whether to do a boot sale on Sunday or wait another week or so, the weather forecast is okay for Sunday but I would need to arrange to borrow a paste table (unless I turned all my boxes upside down once I'd unpacked?)

Dinner tonight is going to be cheese and mushroom omelette, I just need to buy some eggs. It crossed my mind if there's YS med veg again that I could maybe use one of those for frittata, what is frittata? It's just a big, fat, sliced omelette, isn't it?
    Spend on clothes in 2017 58.50
    Make 5 a day in May 92.28/155 (April 236.24, March 106.74, Feb 40.99, Jan 98.54)
    • Uhtred Ragnarsson
    • By Uhtred Ragnarsson 19th May 17, 1:45 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Uhtred Ragnarsson
    Afternoon all

I've continued my good week by : -

• Cashing out survey money from Prolific - I love them and I get around 20 a month or more this way
    • Switched gas and electricity via MSE - 6 a month cheaper than now, 30 cash back and a fix that now takes me to June 2018, well beyond the winter . I almost didn't do it as it seemed so little - then I kicked myself up the proverbial and got on with it!
    It's all the little things that help I imagine

Fate is everything
    Wyrd bid ful āraed
    • Lottebear
    • By Lottebear 19th May 17, 4:44 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 3,094 Thanks
    Lottebear
    Well it has been an interesting week.

I started my new job, and I have had a annoying cough for the last 2 weeks, I felt dreadful the night before but went in, I managed to get a Drs appointment for the evening, I managed the day but it transpires I have pneumonia

So I had to call in sick for the next days until the antibiotics kicked in, I offered to go in for 2 half days but they said to take the rest of the week off, I don't know if I will get SSP or not.

- So I have managed a Chest X ray
    - Lots of TV
    - A friend bought over a lovely bag of healthy foods.
    - Contacted tax credits via internet to update them.
    - Budget updated
    - Dinner is from the freezer tonight - Curry
    - Frozen bits we won't eat in time
    - Done some house work
    - Contacted ebay about non payer
    - Made a small payment to savings

This weekend I have got to complete some freelance work, which overdue.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 19th May 17, 5:42 PM
    • 4,371 Posts
    • 15,959 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Blimey, Lotte, what bad timing but it happens! At least they will have seen how ill you were.

I worked with someone once who was jilted 2 weeks before her wedding the day before starting the job, she didn't come in for the first two weeks!
    Spend on clothes in 2017 58.50
    Make 5 a day in May 92.28/155 (April 236.24, March 106.74, Feb 40.99, Jan 98.54)
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 19th May 17, 6:15 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 32,834 Thanks
    DawnW
    Hope you are better soon Lottebear

• DawnW
    • By DawnW 19th May 17, 6:20 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 32,834 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Not a great deal accomplished today except for a killer macaroni /cauliflower cheese for dinner, with a cauli from the market and bits from the fridge

Apart from that:
    Took more bits to sales unit
    Posted 2 ebay parcels
    Load of washing, dried on line outside
    Watered seedlings that somehow missed the heavy rain we have had this week
    Some onepoll surveys
    Not spent anything

Still, the night is young, and I aim to do a few more things this evening

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 19th May 17, 7:11 PM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 23,292 Thanks
    allydowd
    Morning ally good luck with the vending machine! I've moved to an office with one and it does get me every couple of weeks.... I have a weakness for crisps when stressed but if I buy a multi pack I'll eat them all in one sitting!
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    I take a wee bag of crisps and a mini choc bar with me. But I often lust after original Lucozade.
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 19th May 17, 7:48 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    katy_ann
    Gosh Lottebear I hope your feeling better!
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Married on 02/07/2016 | Little Man Born on 25/11/2016
    2 Savers Club 2017 No.4
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 19th May 17, 9:38 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    What a start Lottebear I hope you are feeling better soon

Bit of a mixed bag day. Managed to get some paperwork completed that really needed doing but had a meeting in the middle of the day that threw the rest of the day out.
    By the time I had got home after going into town to do some bits after the meeting, the rest of the day had disappeared and nothing much else achieved. I feel like I've wasted a day I had alot planned for.
    Busy day tomorrow, including my cake treat at Mr Ts while DD has her driving lesson but will do some work while waiting for DD tomorrow aswell.
    Life seems a never ending round of paperwork at the minute
    Have a good weekend everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 383.15:money.
    April grocery challenge 171.21/ 200 May GC 93.22/190
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 20th May 17, 6:50 AM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 23,292 Thanks
    allydowd
    * Go to work.

* Use all my energy trying to stay sane at said workplace.

* Received 5 voucher from surveys.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 20th May 17, 8:17 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 32,834 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Sun is shining here
    Managed quite a bit of housework last evening, so feeling quite pleased with myself
    Today's plans look like this:
    Dog walks
    Small shop needed, will write a list
    Diced turkey out of freezer for a stir fry later
    Bread bought from the market the other day out of freezer
    Also found some bacon in there, much to OH's delight
    Clean insides of windows downstairs
    Deal with a couple of shrivelled apples in the fruit bowl
    Do anything needed in the garden
    Fill up bird feeder, as the local sparrows are complaining

That should do to start with! Hope everyone has a good day

• katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 20th May 17, 8:18 AM
    • 968 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    katy_ann
    Morning MSE-ers! I've been up for nearly 2 hours, LO is an early riser! Now he's snoozing though I thought I'd check in! I've got to stay in today until a delivery has come, we've got LO's cot bed and materess being delivered so hopefully he will be in his own room shortly! Other than that today I will:

- Check banking
    - Swagbucks
    - Quick tidy of the flat
    - Change bed sheets after LO had an accident on them last night!
    - Mr A shop being deliereved also
    - Get out for a walk if everything is delievered in good time!

Have a good day all x
    2 Savers Club 2017 No.4
    • Julie67
    • By Julie67 20th May 17, 9:05 AM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 20,898 Thanks
    Julie67
    Morning all, lovely bright and sunny here

I've already stripped the bed and set the washing machine off. I've been waiting for a fine day to dry them outside.
    Lots to do today. We are away for our daughters wedding tomorrow. So this morning
    Clean the house- usual Saturday morning, kitchens and bathrooms and vac and polish through.
    Checked the bank, two of our creditors have cashed 1 chqs asking for CCA's
    Get the suitcase out of the loft and pack some overnight stuff
    Iron DH white shirt and my blouse ready to go in the suit hanger
    Post 6 parcels
    Nip out to get some bread (white as DS3 is home tonight)
    DH will be cleaning the car and cutting the lawn.
    Then tonight I need to paint my nails, etc etc

Im exhausted just reading that!Have a a good Saturday all x
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017. Total debt 23,861.33
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,942Posts Today

7,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin