Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th May 17, 6:59 AM
    • 6,238Posts
    • 35,154Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? W/C 15 May
    • 15th May 17, 6:59 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? W/C 15 May 15th May 17 at 6:59 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2218.68/Roadkill £8.53
    CCC £85.94/£250 CC saved £1155 Veg grown £21.96
Page 2
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 16th May 17, 8:00 AM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 16,771 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Frugalistas,
    On today's list:
    *NSD
    *2 baths from 1 lot of hot water
    *Rubber chicken day 3 for tonight's stir-fry.
    *Knit a bit more of friend's socks to see if frilly edge has worked. If not, will frog it & re-knit.
    *Water greenhouse veggies.
    *Start hardening off french beans.
    *Plant out beetroot & cover with mini polytunnel as the sparrows & pigeons like eating them.
    *Start planting up front garden border (have removed triffid shrubs) with free plants which I've divided, been gifted or grown from free seeds.
    *See if I can eek out compost sufficiently also to plant up 2 tubs for the front.
    *Start hardening off hanging baskets, planted up last week at a cost of now't.
    *Make last bit of rubber chicken into rissoles. Will stick them on next week's meal plan with jacket wedges & a poached egg.
    *Free fitness will be gardening based but need to get my stepcount up today. Sedentary day yesterday & fitbit said my calorie burn was just under 1800 cals. It needs to be 2000 to ensure a big enough deficit to keep the weight loss going (I can only lose weight by calorie counting) so even though I've no walk planned for today, I need to be shifting my backside!
    *Forgot to hoover lounge on my last cleaning day (due to cat) so that'll be a tiny bit more free exercise.
    *Two nice strong meat trays to take to shed as they will make excellent seed trays.
    Ok, best get moving.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £904
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £205
    • Twins
    • By Twins 16th May 17, 8:10 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Twins
    Good Morning Everyone

Well today DS has an external GCSE exam that he's taking. I think I feel more nervous than he does! So I've got to pick him up from school, bring him home and feed him before heading off to the exam centre. I need to wait an hour for him to finish before coming home. There is a Tesco nearby so I'll pop in there and pick up some essentials. Therefore today's list looks like this:

- Pop into Tesco's and buy items on the list only
    - Check banking
    - Check eBay sales
    - Complete surveys and FPL
    - Make a meal plan for the rest of the week and I haven't been very organised this week
    - Change bedsheets and get them in the wash and hang outside to dry

That's it for now, have a great day!
    LBM April 2011 Debt £30,800 now in DMP land
    Self Managing my DMP May 2017

Slowly chipping away at my debts: April 17 £17,388 June 17 £11,268.06
    Debt free date: Jan 2023 Dec 2022. April 2019 I will be free
    £2 Savers club #39
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 16th May 17, 8:21 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 11,292 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all lovely to see everyone plans. I am in work today and my premonition of not feeling the love yesterday was correct. Not only was it silly busy but the main road out of the city was closed all day after they found an unexploded ww2 bomb. Cue over two hours to get home I was lucky as I decided to leave early, goodness knows what time it would have been otherwise. I think it's still shut so goodness knows what today will bring. That and I was up being sick in the night, feel fine straight after, just a bit sleep deprived

My feeble list today:
    Left overs for lunch
    Fruit for snacks, have started calorie counting too foxgloves big realisation for me yesterday. Using free app to do.
    Tidy round before I go out
    Hot drink for commute
    Toasted a piece of HM malt loaf for breakfast
    Rescued 3 kiwi from bottom of fruit bowl and moved to eye line of fridge so I can see them to use up
    Check banking, surveys and FPL
    Early night

Enjoy your day folks. PF.
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 16th May 17, 8:30 AM
    • 985 Posts
    • 5,245 Thanks
    katy_ann
    Morning everyone! So yesterday I didn't manage a lot as I ended up having my SIL LO for more like 4 hours than the planned 1! But anyway, a new day!

- Try and get a doctors appointment for myself
    - Check bank accounts
    - Hoover living room
    - Go to Sainsbury's to buy more vests for LO after a few epic "explosions" that all my stain removing tricks can't erase!
    - Other than that NSD
    - Eat healthily and all meals from home

Have a lovely day all x
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Married on 02/07/2016 | Little Man Born on 25/11/2016
    £2 Savers Club 2017 No.4
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th May 17, 8:59 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Morning everyone
    Never had chance to get on yesterday. Just when I've completed one let of paperwork, more comes flying at me so will keep plodding through.
    Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend DNMS
    It hasn't helped that I slept badly over the weekend, but had a good night last night so feel,much better
    Must post my eBay parcels today
    Cat cleaning-just about to start
    Meeting tonight
    Must get some housework done
    While waiting for DD last night I managed to snag some YS bargains, including some bits for my DM
    Weather not great, it doesn't help my pain levels so it's nice just to keep moving and busy.

Sending hugs to those not having a great time at the minute, life can really throw us some curveballs at the best of times.
    Have a good day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 383.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • Julie67
    • By Julie67 16th May 17, 9:18 AM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Julie67
    Good Morning All,

Twins hope DS exam goes well, fingers crossed.

We went to look at a possible new place to live yesterday but it wasn't quite right. In the meantime we need to get on and finish the jobs in the house ready for the valuation. But on a miniscule budget
    It's pouring down here today, really need to wash the bedding but will hang on for a fine day I think.
    Todays list includes:
    -Post ebay parcels
    -Check bank
    -Food shop at Aldi (didnt get to it yesterday)
    -Pop into Tesco just for a few things I can't get in aldi
    -Have lots of listing to do for my ebay shop and need to do some storage organisation and planning.
    -I need to do some research for presents for June Birthdays (virtually one a day)
    -Finally set up a standing order to our savings account. We need to build up our emergency fund.

Have a great Tuesday x
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017. Total debt
    £23,861.33 June 2017 £19,074,30
    • Twins
    • By Twins 16th May 17, 10:47 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Twins
    Good Morning All,

Twins hope DS exam goes well, fingers crossed.

We went to look at a possible new place to live yesterday but it wasn't quite right. In the meantime we need to get on and finish the jobs in the house ready for the valuation. But on a miniscule budget
    It's pouring down here today, really need to wash the bedding but will hang on for a fine day I think.
    Todays list includes:
    -Post ebay parcels
    -Check bank
    -Food shop at Aldi (didnt get to it yesterday)
    -Pop into Tesco just for a few things I can't get in aldi
    -Have lots of listing to do for my ebay shop and need to do some storage organisation and planning.
    -I need to do some research for presents for June Birthdays (virtually one a day)
    -Finally set up a standing order to our savings account. We need to build up our emergency fund.

Have a great Tuesday x
    Originally posted by Julie67
    June is a crazy month for us too for present buying. It's DH's birthday, his brothers birthday twins birthday and our anniversary I seem to always struggle with the budget during this month. Let me know if you come across any good deals x

£2 Savers club #39
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 16th May 17, 11:56 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

Twins, I hope the exam goes well.

Todays list (a bit repetitive but it keeps me on the straight and narrow!)
    * Kids to free breakfast club
    * Gym class and refilled water bottle
    * Brunch with my dad, cooked some sausages which we had with some leftover tomato based sauce and an egg, the kids will finish the sausages with some new potatoes, peas and sweetcorn & leftover salad for their tea tonight.
    * Make families lunches for tomorrow
    * Showered, left hair to dry naturally and used various lotions and potions
    * Check banking / update spreadsheet
    * Check fpl / luckhphone
    * Clean kitchen using microfiber clothes and stardrops solution
    * Must NOT take my purse with me during the school run as last week when I was feeling low I was buying a pastry and a large bar of chocolate each day which I ate in the car! At a total waste of £2.09 a day = £10.45 and a 2lb weight gain. Didn't leave purse at home but didn't call at the shop either
    * Get food out of the freezer for tomorrows meals and update inventory.
    * Wash a load on the quick 30 degree wash - chucking it down so will have to hang on airers to dry
    * Run dishwasher on quick wash
    * Hoover round
    ** glad I spoke to dh as he asked if I'd have time to iron him a shirt for tomorrow!! I hadn't planned on ironing today but its done now

Will hopefully add more as the day goes on.

Have a good day all.

Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 16-05-2017 at 4:06 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 16th May 17, 1:27 PM
    • 4,360 Posts
    • 33,148 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    So far today:
    Free HG fruit from freezer for breakfast, instead of bought fruit
    Walked dog
    Went to sales unit first thing to look for an item that had sold on ebay, and found it there - luckily! Ebay stuff isn't supposed to be there!
    Small shop, needed some ingredients for the curry I have planned for tonight. Picked up some wine boxes for free packaging while I was at the supermarket.
    Paid the milk bill (not moneysaving, but only £7.96!)
    Put more money on my post office drop and go account card (also not moneysaving, but a business cost)
    Picked salad leaves from the garden to have with my houmous sandwich for lunch

Still to do:
    Pack the item rescued from my sales unit
    Post that and another item paid for yesterday evening
    Make a Thai chicken curry - enough for tonight plus another meal for the two of us I love cooking once and eating twice (or 3 times, sometimes).
    Make a cake of some description
    List some more ebay items
    Another dog walk, unless OH does it
    Some housework!
    Anything that needs doing in the garden
    Last edited by DawnW; 16-05-2017 at 1:31 PM.

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 16th May 17, 1:52 PM
    • 4,484 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Afternoon all!

Breakfast was powdered soup and leftover grapes from yesterday. Lunch was a YS prawn sandwich and half a bag of tortilla chips that have been knocking around for a few days and amazingly have avoided being eaten.

I forgot to take the turkey out of the freezer for slow cooker curry but I'm sure the freezer or YS shop with be forthcoming of something or other.

I've decided I hate the new sofa I have left it a few days to see if I can live with it but I don't think I can They did give me a throw in the same colour, I might try throwing it over something else to see if it integrates the colour a bit more. Three people have made enquiries about the other and then disappeared off the face of the earth. One other person has contacted me so I will give them a try or I could just try to sell the new one instead. My chair and love seat are both from M&S bought second hand at bargainous prices on ebay. The matching sofa is often on there but they are always just a bit too big, I never see the smaller sized one which is the one I really want, I should never have compromised.

I got a nice beach-themed scarf from the free table, I don't wear scarves (I've always felt way too hot, even before the menopause) but it would make cute little curtains somewhere (maybe in my Doblo if I decide to convert it into a camper van!)

Have a good day all!
    Spend on clothes in 2017 £68.50
    Make £10 a day in June £251.22/£300 (May £119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th May 17, 7:27 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,223 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Struggling a bit today in terms of time - just popping in to say hello to everyone. It was the first science exam today so it's been busy at work... And only 2 days until the next one.
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Uhtred Ragnarsson
    • By Uhtred Ragnarsson 16th May 17, 8:03 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Uhtred Ragnarsson
    Very good evening to all!

I've actually had two good days out of two so far

• 2 NSDs
    • All meals both days from stores - will be the same all week
    • Changed broadand/phone and saved £17 a month
    • Stopped being lazy - religiously recycling plastic food bags I take my lunches in. Used to just tear them open and bin them
    • Went round switching things off at the socket and made sure chargers were only plugged in when charging
    • Turned off the television when I was sitting reading a book - don't need background noise and it just uses power. Every little helps
    • Repaired my work shoes with a little super glue
    Not a bad week so far I think.
    Save
    Wyrd bid ful āraed
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 16th May 17, 8:24 PM
    • 3,799 Posts
    • 23,668 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi May Marvelousos,

It's my last day off. Have saved money as I didn't feel like moving off the sofa.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Checked the Broadband allowance.

* Parcelled up old Broadband router-thinga-me-gig sold on eBay using materials from around the house and stamps earned through RM Surveys.

* Taught DW how to turn off new router thinga-me-gig!

* Made homemade KFC for dinner.

Onwards and upwards.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £3350
    Survey Rewards 2017: £75
    Swim for Sanity: 3700m
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 16th May 17, 9:59 PM
    • 4,484 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Evening all!

The YS run was fruitful, even though I didn't manage to find an immediate solution to dinner tonight I did manage to get:

Pack of sliced roast beef (will cook in gravy for a roast)
    2 packs of med veg (1 going in a curry tomorrow)
    3 sandwiches for tomorrow
    3 packs of cream cakes (1 eaten, 1 in fridge, 1 in freezer)
    2 small packs of grapes
    1 pack of croissants (outside for the fox)

They seem to have reduced the discount to 85 % instead of 90% which seems a bit odd but is still dirt cheap.

I bought a couple of pies for dinner which I did with HM chips and baked beans.

I've taken the turkey out of the freezer to defrost for slow cooker curry tomorrow. I still need to pack up some stuff for zapper and then I will jump in the bath.

Night all
    Last edited by FatVonD; 16-05-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    Make £10 a day in June £251.22/£300 (May £119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • Twins
    • By Twins 17th May 17, 8:08 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Twins
    Happy hump day!

Rain, rain here today

FatVonD, whilst I was in Tesco's yesterday I picked up some YS raspberries, eclairs and some burger buns. It made me think of you and I was quite proud of my little YS collection

Today's plan:

- Check banking
    - Check eBay sales...some haven't paid yet, how annoying!
    - Get a workout in later around lunch
    - Pop to Matalan and pick up a click and collect parcel. I shopped around for a holiday bikini which wasn't expensive
    - Complete some more Swag stuff. I think I can claim around £10 so far but I want to get to £25 or more
    - Cancel home insurance with L&G as renewal price came in so expensive! Going to buy with Tesco's which saves almost £200 and via Quidco which will give me £45 cash back
    - All meals from home

Enjoy your day x

£2 Savers club #39
    • Julie67
    • By Julie67 17th May 17, 8:09 AM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Julie67
    Good Morning all,

Another wet day! I'm sure the plants are enjoying it.

I managed to get the shopping done yesterday and last nights tea was salad, Chicken and asparagus tips (30p in the reduced section) it was delish. I also bought Jersey Royals for 65p in Aldi and we ate half of those, the other half will be spiced up and served with the chilli I've just pulled out of the freezer. Managed to pick up two jars of coffee that DH loves, they were reduced by £2.79 down to £5 for the big jars in Tesco. Still not cheap but he drinks black strong coffee and it's the only thing he insists on having a particular brand.
    Todays plans include
    - Check bank
    -Post ebay parcels
    -Iron
    and list the rest of my haul from earlier in the week.
    -Make a lasagne and divide up for the freezer
    -NSD today
    -Make DH lunch so he doesn't buy a sandwhich

It's brightening up a bit so fingers crossed I can peg out later
    Did anyone watch the food programme last night. OMG all that food they throw out and waste. Surely it's common sense to use up leftovers.
    Have a good day all x
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017. Total debt
    £23,861.33 June 2017 £19,074,30
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 17th May 17, 8:19 AM
    • 6,238 Posts
    • 35,154 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning happy hump day! It's the usual slog to get back to being on top of things after a holiday! House continues to be a mess!

I'm doing ot today from home only 1 more week after today and I get my Wednesday's back I've been asked if I'll do some more ot, but this time in the area I work. But I think I'm going to turn it down. Really hard to do as I feel so broke but am missing the time and that is having a knock on effect on everything else...

foxgloves thinking of you today x

Small things:

* all meals from stores - will make a vegan chilli which will see me through the next few days
    * grab something out of freezer for oh & madam
    * somehow find time to tidy up!
    * read martin's email
    * taking madam to preschool session at 2
    * will take her to the park and the library afterwards. Pick up a new book for myself while there
    * contact HR about the email I sent asking if due to the ot I have been doing I am entitled to more al. Annoying they aren't
    responding....
    * checked weather forecast and I might be able to get an hour at the lottie this afternoon. Might also do some potting on & sowing this evening

Ok better get a move on!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2218.68/Roadkill £8.53
    CCC £85.94/£250 CC saved £1155 Veg grown £21.96
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 17th May 17, 9:32 AM
    • 4,484 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Foxgloves, hope things go well todayTwins, raspberries have been very thin on the ground here of late, I'm down to my last pack!

I woke up to find that DS has eaten my lunch time sandwich during the night so I will need to buy something now, grrrr! His phone was also ringing when I left which I suspect is about the job but he was asleep, the phone was buried in a bag in the kitchen and I was running late

My courgettes have little yellow spots on the leaves (about the size of a pin head, should I be worried?
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 17th May 17, 10:18 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Good morning everyone
    twins I hope everything went well with DS external exam

Cat cleaning all done. During the night they had managed to knock a large vase that has twigs and lights off the sideboard. Fortunately not broken but it was literally dangling close to the floor held by the light wires-a very close call. So that all sorted and bits cleaned up.

Banking all done-Christmas voucher money paid. I'm always ahead with Christmas shopping, vouchers come in handy for Jan sales. Have said to DD who is thinking of changing her tablet ready for uni that I would buy her a new one if she decides it is worthwhile. I would be able to use my vouchers for this and it would be something she at least wants and main present sorted
    I'm pleased to say that DD is very much of the mindset of, 'do I want it, do i need it'. It will take her to the end of Oct at least to make a final decision
    Housework to complete today
    Two invoices to generate
    One ebay parcel left to post-will do this later when I drop DD at work
    I was thinking about the June birthdays twins and julie said they had coming up. A friend of DD who really helped us looking for missing kitty-her birthday is coming up. Dug around in my present box yesterday for a little something and bought a small box of chocs from missing kitty now home. Gave them to her last night by way of a thank you aswell.
    Card still to buy for friends birthday

Hopefully weather will cheer up to get more washing out but that's about it from me.
    Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 383.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 17th May 17, 10:55 AM
    • 985 Posts
    • 5,245 Thanks
    katy_ann
    Morning everyone! Pouring with rain here and I've been up since 6am as I had a blood test at 8.40am and had to get up and also get ready LO! Luckily that's all done and we avoided getting to wet!

I've got my mum coming over today o see me and LO which will be nice, other than that:

- Check banking
    - Quick tidy of the flat ~ Done
    - Swagbucks
    - Load of washing and tumble dry
    - All meals from home

Have a good day everyone x
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Married on 02/07/2016 | Little Man Born on 25/11/2016
    £2 Savers Club 2017 No.4
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,861Posts Today

9,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin