Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nataliew123
    • By nataliew123 14th May 17, 10:19 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 2Thanks
    nataliew123
    0 WOW
    florida car hire stand alone cdw
    • 14th May 17, 10:19 PM
    0 WOW
    florida car hire stand alone cdw 14th May 17 at 10:19 PM
    hi
    I am going to florida with thomson, they advertised the holiday with free car hire with basic cover but insist alamo, their car hire partners, will not let me out of the airport with the car unless i purchase the upgraded CDW and SLI insurance off them either through thomson or at the desk.cheapest option £320
    i have found a very good website called bettersafe where they quote me just £62 for the 2 weeks of standalone CDW and SLI insurance, which you will agree is a serious saving.
    Just wondering, i know many have used the excess insurance but has anyone any experience of using this worldwide CDW in florida with the thomson 'free' car hire or otherwise
    I will try anyhow if no one replies as i am curious if it works as I'm sure if it does many more families will save a good few quid while thomson and thomas cook continue to lure people in with the devious ad tactics.
Page 2
    • nataliew123
    • By nataliew123 5th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    nataliew123
    That is excellent Dubs, thanks for the update, really helps put my mind at ease. just a quick question though, When you got through customs and went to Thomson desk did they just give you a voucher for the car hire or did they try and hard sell you their insurance product? Final Question, did you go with better safe or another?
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 5th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    WAYT
    That is excellent Dubs, thanks for the update, really helps put my mind at ease. just a quick question though, When you got through customs and went to Thomson desk did they just give you a voucher for the car hire or did they try and hard sell you their insurance product? Final Question, did you go with better safe or another?
    Originally posted by nataliew123
    It really doesn't matter with whom you go.

There are only three providers(of whom I know) that provide that cover. So which Dubs chose is beside the point, as ALAMO didn't even look and Dubs didn't make a claim, so can make no recommendation as to quality of service.

So it's up to you to decide on with whom you go, making sure that you have comprehensive cover or, if you wish to take a chance.
    For instance , you can buy CDW without Supplementary Liability Insurance and it will be considerably cheaper. But if you cause damage to someone else and the claim against you is more than US$20,000 or whatever minimum coverage that you would have, you would have a problem.
    On the other hand, nothing might happen at all.

Don't nit-pick your way through the holiday. Just get the insurance and be done with it.
    • Dubs
    • By Dubs 5th Jul 17, 8:01 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Dubs
    Hi Natalie,
    No, Thomson didn't try to sell us anything, they just confirmed we had car hire with Alamo and directed us to their office where everything was ready for us to sign and then it was quick and easy to collect the car.

Just another point we found driving around very easy with Navmii (read about it a couple of years ago on MSE http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-tips) It works really well and saves on Sat Nav rental from Alamo. We also downloaded Google Maps to use offline but did have a few issues with it trying to send us down the wrong way or onto service roads. We were pleased we had these options as the map provided with the car hire didn't actually cover the area we were staying in!
    • nataliew123
    • By nataliew123 8th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    nataliew123
    Thanks Dubs, actually hearing it from someone who's been and dealt with thomson at the other end recently is a massive help, rather than someone who hasn't. Thanks for the tips regarding getting around and Navmii, I'm sure that will help immensly as i am useless with maps and would probably get lost driving round a walmart car park. Thanks ever so much again. N.
    • Dubs
    • By Dubs 9th Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Dubs
    Thanks Dubs, actually hearing it from someone who's been and dealt with thomson at the other end recently is a massive help, rather than someone who hasn't. Thanks for the tips regarding getting around and Navmii, I'm sure that will help immensly as i am useless with maps and would probably get lost driving round a walmart car park. Thanks ever so much again. N.
    You're very welcome , have a great holiday
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,215Posts Today

8,411Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin