Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • yorks808
    • By yorks808 14th May 17, 10:02 PM
    • 602Posts
    • 1,877Thanks
    yorks808
    Car hit from behind...who is at fault...
    • 14th May 17, 10:02 PM
    Car hit from behind...who is at fault... 14th May 17 at 10:02 PM
    Hi,

A few weeks ago my car was hit from behind by another car. I was stationary in a queue of traffic and the car behind did not stop in time. There is damage to the bodywork (the car is driveable), and the reversing sensors do not work anymore.

Who is at fault here?
    Will my insurance premium go up if I claim?

It amazes me how close people drive to the back of the car in front...even in slow moving traffic! If one has to brake then the car behind has no chance of stopping in time. Clearly there is no anticipation or forward planning (its just common sense, don't drive too close to the car in front...)
    Last edited by yorks808; 14-05-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Page 2
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 18th May 17, 2:06 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    OP, I had a no fault claim in 2012 - in similar circumstances. I was stopped in a queue at traffic lights, car ran straight into the back at me. I think they'd been too busy looking behind them to change lanes, and forgot to look where they were going. My claim was handled by a 3rd party company provided by my insurer at the time (Kwik Fit) so didn't have any direct involvement with my insurers - the 3rd party company basically said they only handle non-fault claims, and as I wasn't moving and was hit by a car from behind, they were happy it was no-fault on my part - and that was within an hour of the accident.
    My last claim before that (my fault) was 12 years before - it may depend on your history but for me, the one no fault claim made no difference to my premiums at the time or since.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,513Users online

Martin's Twitter