Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tir21
    • By tir21 14th May 17, 9:07 PM
    • 891Posts
    • 178Thanks
    tir21
    being steered even though 3rd party accepted liability?
    • 14th May 17, 9:07 PM
    being steered even though 3rd party accepted liability? 14th May 17 at 9:07 PM
    Other party has admitted liability. I sent two quotes to the insurance company. One for 750 with company A the other 1100 with company B. I said I wanted to go with company A because I'd used them before

they say they can't arrange repair with company A because they won't agree to the accident management companies t&c's

something about them not doing a credit repair

why are my insurance company bothered when they can claim it back off other parties insurance company
    Last edited by tir21; 14-05-2017 at 9:26 PM.
Page 1
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 14th May 17, 9:14 PM
    • 25,844 Posts
    • 32,559 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 14th May 17, 9:14 PM
    • 14th May 17, 9:14 PM
    Company A does the job and get paid.
    company B does the job, get paid and pays some back to insurance company.
    my guess anyway.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 14th May 17, 9:31 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 14th May 17, 9:31 PM
    • 14th May 17, 9:31 PM
    What I suspect has happened is your insurer has passed your claim to an accident management company (auxillus by any chance). They will have provided a expensive like for like hire car on a credit hire agreement and are now looking to repair your car under a credit repair agreement. Terms and conditions they demand the garage agree probably include 90 day payment terms which the garage do not want to agree.

The accident management company will look to recover from the at fault insurer but if they fail to do so you would be liable for the full cost of repairs and the overpriced hire car.

Google albany assistance if you want to know more.
    • tir21
    • By tir21 14th May 17, 9:39 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    tir21
    • 14th May 17, 9:39 PM
    • 14th May 17, 9:39 PM
    kindertons
    • tir21
    • By tir21 14th May 17, 9:46 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    tir21
    • 14th May 17, 9:46 PM
    • 14th May 17, 9:46 PM
    What I suspect has happened is your insurer has passed your claim to an accident management company (auxillus by any chance). They will have provided a expensive like for like hire car on a credit hire agreement and are now looking to repair your car under a credit repair agreement. Terms and conditions they demand the garage agree probably include 90 day payment terms which the garage do not want to agree.

The accident management company will look to recover from the at fault insurer but if they fail to do so you would be liable for the full cost of repairs and the overpriced hire car.

Google albany assistance if you want to know more.
    Originally posted by angrycrow
    i thought the driver could insist where they have the car repaired? Will they have to let me get it done at comany A if I insist

it all seems a bit dishonest
    Last edited by tir21; 14-05-2017 at 9:49 PM.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 15th May 17, 6:29 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 15th May 17, 6:29 AM
    • 15th May 17, 6:29 AM
    What I would do is go back to my insurer and insist they do what I pay them for and get them to repair the car instead of passing me to an acm. That way you have the protection of the ombudsman in the event of problems and a guarantee on the repairs although this may require use of the approved repairer.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 15th May 17, 6:52 AM
    • 11,300 Posts
    • 6,276 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 15th May 17, 6:52 AM
    • 15th May 17, 6:52 AM
    They'll want to use their approved repairer, it's easier on the paperwork and more profitable (yes they'll make a profit out of the other insurer).
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 15th May 17, 12:20 PM
    • 10,982 Posts
    • 8,238 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 15th May 17, 12:20 PM
    • 15th May 17, 12:20 PM
    i thought the driver could insist where they have the car repaired? Will they have to let me get it done at comany A if I insist

it all seems a bit dishonest
    Originally posted by tir21
    Check your insurance policy - it usually details things like this.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 15th May 17, 1:42 PM
    • 9,720 Posts
    • 6,741 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 15th May 17, 1:42 PM
    • 15th May 17, 1:42 PM
    You can. However, if you're doing it via your own insurer then their T&Cs probably will exclude the use of a courtesy vehicle if you get it fixed at anywhere other than an approved repairer. Probably would have been better claiming directly from the TP insurer.

On a side not I do wish you'd keep this saga of your car repair troubles in the one thread. Ultimately it'll help others to help you especially when they have all the relevant background information to hand.
    • tir21
    • By tir21 15th May 17, 3:46 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    tir21
    thanks neil

when you say approved repairer do you mean insurer approved or manufacturer approved. Both companies I've got quotes from are manufacturer apprved
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 15th May 17, 4:02 PM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    no1catman
    When I had a car bump into me, some years ago, the insurance company gave me a choice of two bodyshops to use. One of them (which I chose) I used to work for!

If the insurance company is paying for the repair what difference does it make where it is done, unless you have some knowledge of the recommended bodyshops.

Personally, I think the only thing to bear (or should it be bare) in mind - is will original equipment be used - some insurers will allow/encourage cheaper spurious parts - which wont have such a close fit.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • tir21
    • By tir21 15th May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    tir21
    thanks catman

I've been to company A before and was happy.

Ive got sone stone chips on top of wing and A-frame.
    Company B want to repray whole of driver door and are charging about £400 more - not that cost is an issue as I wasn't at fault
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 15th May 17, 5:11 PM
    • 9,720 Posts
    • 6,741 Thanks
    neilmcl
    thanks neil

when you say approved repairer do you mean insurer approved or manufacturer approved. Both companies I've got quotes from are manufacturer apprved
    Insurer approved.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 15th May 17, 5:14 PM
    • 9,720 Posts
    • 6,741 Thanks
    neilmcl
    thanks catman

I've been to company A before and was happy.

Ive got sone stone chips on top of wing and A-frame.
    Company B want to repray whole of driver door and are charging about £400 more - not that cost is an issue as I wasn't at fault
    Again, as has been mentioned in your other thread(s), why does it bother you, you (or rather your insurer) are not paying for it.

What would you rather have, a smart repair which may be noticeable especially on a car with metallic paint or a proper respray job where panels have been blended correctly. I know which one I'd be going with.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 15-05-2017 at 5:19 PM.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 15th May 17, 7:35 PM
    • 20,163 Posts
    • 12,437 Thanks
    dacouch
    The repairs are not being arranged by your Insurers, you are dealing with an accident management company.

They will have asked your preferred garage to accept their payment terms which would have been payment for their work after so many days / months. But would also include an amount of commission to the accident management company of between 5% and 15%.

Understandably, some garages will not accept this so will refuse to pay the commission
    • tir21
    • By tir21 17th May 17, 3:16 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    tir21
    kindertons just got back to me. they cannot reach agreement with company A so are insinuating i will have to go to comany B or a company called shorade who have previously bumped my car in their workshop

what worried me about comany B is that they wanted to repaint the entire driver door for a chip on the wing
    Last edited by tir21; 17-05-2017 at 3:21 PM.
    • tir21
    • By tir21 1st Jun 17, 3:32 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    tir21
    it now appears tbat the 3rd parties insurer did admit liability but now don't admit liability
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

77Posts Today

1,733Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin