Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chloe L
    • By Chloe L 14th May 17, 3:14 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Chloe L
    Budgeting for buying a new home as FTB
    • 14th May 17, 3:14 PM
    Budgeting for buying a new home as FTB 14th May 17 at 3:14 PM
    Hello everyone,

I am looking to put an offer in for a property next week, and I have had my mortgage approved subject to a satisfactory valuation being carried out on the property. The purchase price I am aiming for is £125,000, and the loan amount is £118,750. The property is in Glasgow. The interest rate is 1.99% (1.74% above base) with repayments of around £360 on a 40 year mortgage term.

I am 28 years old, currently in full time employment on a basic salary of £24,000, with a net monthly income of around £1580 after all deductions. I am looking to buy on my own and would rather not have anyone else named on the mortgage or on the deeds.

The problem I am having is just getting my head around whether I can actually afford everything. I do not own anything, so I will have to purchase literally everything for the house.

I currently have around £25,000 in savings. From this, I will be using £6,250 as a deposit. I am budgeting around £2,000 for a reputable solicitor. The mortgage deal I am getting has no arrangement or valuation fees. I will keep around £1,750 aside also in case any other unexpected things arise through the way. This will leave me around £15,000.

The mortgage deal I am getting has an offset facility, so I will be taking advantage of this with any spare funds.

However I have never bought a property before, and I literally have never bought a tin of paint or an item of furniture in my life. The flat I am looking to buy is spacious and I will need to buy everything, from TV's to couches to carpets and fridges to other general furnishings, and I am conscious that things can quickly add up cost wise.

So my question is, is anyone able to give me a rough estimate of how much it actually costs to furnish a whole property? Am I over stretching myself with the budget I have?

Also I have heard scare stories of people who buy flats who get hit with unexpected bills through maintenance of the building. Is this something that a solicitor will highlight before I buy it? And finally, I have also been told that in Scotland we do not have any freehold or leasehold properties, and everything is feudal, I am just wondering how this works in the context of a flat?

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks.
Page 2
    • Chloe L
    • By Chloe L 18th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Chloe L
    Good afternoon everyone,

I am still in the process of going the mortgage application, so I am keeping an eye on everything credit / expenditure related at the moment,

I logged into the MSE credit report today for this months update, and I have noticed a Lloyds Credit Card appearing which I paid off in 2013.

It says that £203 is still outstanding, and was last updated on 10/02/2013, and that the account is fully up to date. Back in 2013, I paid off this account in full, and I vividly remember the balance showing as zero, and the account then dropping off my internet banking screen after a year or so.

Does anyone know why all of a sudden the account would re-appear, and worryingly as though I still owe them £203?

Hope this made sense,

Thanks.

gyazo.c om/9703f999dc38efca1dd296d5f5039eac

This is a link to a screenshot showing what I mean.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

474Posts Today

4,636Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin