Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 14th May 17, 9:43 AM
    • 74Posts
    • 16Thanks
    sausage_time
    Anyone tried Starling Bank?
    • 14th May 17, 9:43 AM
    Anyone tried Starling Bank? 14th May 17 at 9:43 AM
    Headlines (for me) are 0.5% interest (.25% above £2000 from June 2017) and no card fees for international use.

Any experience (positive or negative)?
Page 7
    • armistice
    • By armistice 21st Aug 17, 11:12 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    armistice
    Yes, the iOS App also allows the fingerprint reader to be used for access, Android is only via a code, but both have push notifications that pop up just like system notifications without needing code input.
    Originally posted by d123
    The android app also allows fingerprint access (I have android and have used this since i joined on June.)
    • d123
    • By d123 21st Aug 17, 11:16 AM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,264 Thanks
    d123
    The android app also allows fingerprint access (I have android and have used this since i joined on June.)
    Originally posted by armistice
    Not on my Android phone it doesn't.

Last edited by d123; 21-08-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    ====
    • armistice
    • By armistice 21st Aug 17, 11:32 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    armistice
    If you turn off, 'application passcode' you will find that you can then use fingerprint auth.

see here: https://community.starlingbank.com/t/android-fingerprint-login/566
    Last edited by armistice; 21-08-2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: remove quoted post (as above)
    • d123
    • By d123 21st Aug 17, 12:42 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,264 Thanks
    d123
    If you turn off, 'application passcode' you will find that you can then use fingerprint auth.

see here: https://community.starlingbank.com/t/android-fingerprint-login/566
    Originally posted by armistice
    Thanks, that's bizarrely counterintuitive, I presume it postdates when I asked Starling and was told it was still a forthcoming feature. You'd expect it would be enabled in the same rational way the iOS version is.

====
    • Toe-Jam
    • By Toe-Jam 21st Aug 17, 9:18 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    Toe-Jam
    The starling bank app has everything but the kitchen sink in it, all the bells and whistles, but can't tell you what your balance was last week, or the day before. Contacted support they advised to wait until the end of the month and download a statement.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 21st Aug 17, 9:24 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    On my S8 it reverts to fingerprint thanks for that
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 22nd Aug 17, 6:05 AM
    • 10,671 Posts
    • 6,969 Thanks
    bigadaj
    On my S8 it reverts to fingerprint thanks for that
    Originally posted by wizzywig27
    So presumably a fair bit of the problematic overdraft is due to running a £700 phone?
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 5th Sep 17, 7:31 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Signed up in the iOS app.

Downloaded app, entered mobile phone number and then the verification code sent to me in an SMS message. The the usual permission for notifications etc., and fingerprint ID. Then advised that a code would be sent to me in 5 days but it arrived next day in an SMS message. Entered email address and verified it from an email, then came address, made a video for ID and photographed my passport both done within the app. And all done.

It probably took less of my actual time than writing this post took. But again I say, why can't they do electronic ID like most other banks and credit card lenders? So not exactly "everything but the kitchen sink".
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 5th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 2,045 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Big news from Starling today.

Android users can now add their Starling card to Android Pay.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 7th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Update:

I got an overdraft facility which appeared in the app yesterday. Accepting it was just a matter of touching the Accept button in the app. Starling's blurb states that they check a CRA and will offer an overdraft if they can. But too early for the search to appear in any CRA yet so I don't know which CRA they searched.

My only question is related to the virtual card. It looks like it is the same card details as the physical card but I don't really know because there are no details of the virtual card in the app except for the last four digits of the card number. Good to be able to add the virtual card to Apple Pay with the touch of a button but there is nothing else that it can be used for that I can see.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 7th Sep 17, 8:27 AM
    • 983 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    Update:

I got an overdraft facility which appeared in the app yesterday. Accepting it was just a matter of touching the Accept button in the app. Starling's blurb states that they check a CRA and will offer an overdraft if they can. But too early for the search to appear in any CRA yet so I don't know which CRA they searched.

My only question is related to the virtual card. It looks like it is the same card details as the physical card but I don't really know because there are no details of the virtual card in the app except for the last four digits of the card number. Good to be able to add the virtual card to Apple Pay with the touch of a button but there is nothing else that it can be used for that I can see.
    Originally posted by Anthorn

They search CallCredit.

The full card number shows up once you recieve and activate it.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 7th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Anthorn
    They search CallCredit.

The full card number shows up once you recieve and activate it.
    Originally posted by wizzywig27
    Ok thanks.

I can confirm that the virtual card works in Apple Pay even though I have not received the physical card and therefore not activated it. I used the virtual card in Apple Pay in Wilko today.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 7th Sep 17, 12:52 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Final update:

My debit card arrived in a quite distinctive black square envelope. On opening there is a little box and when a drawer on the right-hand side is pulled out the other side slides out containing the Debit Mastercard. I activated it in the app by tapping a button and entering the CVV.

First impressions with me count so the card packaging inspires confidence. Not for Starling to stick the card on the bottom of a paper letter. But I think Starling has missed the boat: It could have designed a card with a distinctive design but instead went for the mediocre.

So there I am all set up. Opening a bank account doesn't get more painless than this.
    • Jeromem75
    • By Jeromem75 8th Sep 17, 11:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jeromem75
    I have been using as a main bank with direct debit and i have been extremely happy with it.
    Never got the card refused and they are adding more features.
    For me i like the instant notification after a purchase and money is taken away from my account whether or not the transaction is completed or pending.
    If you want a code to skip the queue.
    Feel free.
    RSCEMZGE
    • SurfKing
    • By SurfKing 10th Sep 17, 12:47 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    SurfKing
    I'm absolutely loving Starling so far. For the first time in a while I'm really in control of my finances - it's a liberating feeling!
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 11th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Anthorn
    It might be interesting to see how Starling Bank cope with pre-authorisation which is not collected by the payee. Both Tesco Bank (Payqwiq) and Sky / Now TV have done this to verify my Starling Bank debit card. I'll know in around 10 days when the pre-authorised money should be made available in my balance.
    • d123
    • By d123 11th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,264 Thanks
    d123
    It might be interesting to see how Starling Bank cope with pre-authorisation which is not collected by the payee. Both Tesco Bank (Payqwiq) and Sky / Now TV have done this to verify my Starling Bank debit card. I'll know in around 10 days when the pre-authorised money should be made available in my balance.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    I had an iTunes preauthorisation on my Starling account recently, I’m sure it fell away in just under a week (iirc).
    ====
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 11th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    Is there any indication on when joint accounts will be introduced?
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 12th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Is there any indication on when joint accounts will be introduced?
    Originally posted by SouthLondonUser
    According to the FAQ that's a possible future development:
    Do Starling offer business/joint accounts?
    Right now, we’re concentrating on creating the best mobile-only personal current account in the world. Keep your eyes peeled for future developments.
    https://www.starlingbank.com/faq/
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 22nd Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Anthorn
    My switch from Yorkshire Bank to Starling Bank went relatively smoothly. A few problems but all of the problems were due to the inefficiencies of direct debit payees:

Anchor Trust didn't recognise Starling Bank so dismissed the DD mandate transfer from Yorkshire Bank to Starling. When I phoned them to start a new DD, their system allocated the DD to Natwest which I thought was kinda sick!

Plusnet decided to transmit a new direct debit to Starling Bank even though there was already a DD on my Starling account. So now there are two DD for plusnet. Likewise with Paypal. Cancelling their old DDs should be fun.

I deposited funds into my Virgin Money savings and made a payment to my Virgin Money credit card by faster payment from my Starling Bank account. I then immediately received a phone call from the Virgin Money transactions team asking if that was me who sent the payments and if I had changed my bank. The conversation which ensued no doubt with fraud prevention in mind, confirmed that Virgin Money does not know about the 7-Day Switch Service or even know that it exists!

So there it is. The 7-day switch was not exactly painless but Starling Bank itself is blameless. I like Starling Bank.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,132Posts Today

4,612Users online

Martin's Twitter