Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 14th May 17, 9:43 AM
    • 64Posts
    • 16Thanks
    sausage_time
    Anyone tried Starling Bank?
    • 14th May 17, 9:43 AM
    Anyone tried Starling Bank? 14th May 17 at 9:43 AM
    Headlines (for me) are 0.5% interest (.25% above £2000 from June 2017) and no card fees for international use.

Any experience (positive or negative)?
Page 1
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 14th May 17, 10:11 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 3,622 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 14th May 17, 10:11 AM
    • 14th May 17, 10:11 AM
    Too early to ask about experience - they're only in Beta and have only been running live accounts for a very short time.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th May 17, 12:17 PM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 14th May 17, 12:17 PM
    • 14th May 17, 12:17 PM
    I must have put myself on their list last year, because Starling sent me a sign-up code by email on Friday as I awaited my flight in an Indonesian airport. To pass the time I installed the Android app, checked their terms and fees, and saw that there are no fees even for using the card overseas, plus some token interest, full FSCS protection. So I proceeded to sign up and verify myself on the app, with a photo of my passport and video with my face and voice. All done within minutes, my sort code and account number shown, and card due to arrive Tuesday. It will lay safely on my doormat for a while, not activated until I do that on the app. So I took off with a brand new fintech bank account on my phone.

Later I emailed to request that my personal data not be used for marketing purposes, and received a polite reply from Patrick within the hour. I deposited £100+ by FP from my Loot account app, and the Starling app, which has a no-nonsense efficient feel, gave me a notification when it arrived shortly after.

That's all I can say for now, but to me it looks good - so far...
    Evolution, not revolution
    • dggar
    • By dggar 14th May 17, 12:58 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    dggar
    • 14th May 17, 12:58 PM
    • 14th May 17, 12:58 PM
    Does anyone know if the Starling Bank app will function on a desktop PC or is it only for smart phone type devices?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th May 17, 1:35 PM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 14th May 17, 1:35 PM
    • 14th May 17, 1:35 PM
    Does anyone know if the Starling Bank app will function on a desktop PC or is it only for smart phone type devices?
    Originally posted by dggar
    Their website calls it a "mobile only" bank.

Less vulnerable to cyber attack / fraud..??

https://www.starlingbank.com/
    • Paul_01
    • By Paul_01 14th May 17, 1:44 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Paul_01
    • 14th May 17, 1:44 PM
    • 14th May 17, 1:44 PM
    Looks like a slick, professional set up.

I have registered my interest, just waiting for the sign-up code now.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 16th May 17, 11:59 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 3,622 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 16th May 17, 11:59 AM
    • 16th May 17, 11:59 AM
    Headlines (for me) are 0.5% interest (.25% above £2000 from June 2017) and no card fees for international use. Any experience (positive or negative)?
    Originally posted by sausage_time
    Originally posted by dggar
    Just had my code, downloaded App to an android phone and opened an account.

App will definitely only work on a smartphone. Not on a PC and not even a tablet (I had a go, just to see but it won't even install on a tablet).

Asks you for a short video saying who you are, a pic of your driving licence or passport , a PIN for the App, a password and another PIN for the debit card they'll send you. App manages all this initial process for you.

App is slick, better than Atom Bank in my opinion (fewer pointless animations!) but early days on whether it's a good bank.
    • Paul_01
    • By Paul_01 16th May 17, 12:13 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Paul_01
    • 16th May 17, 12:13 PM
    • 16th May 17, 12:13 PM
    Zanderman - how long did it take for the code to arrive after you registered?

Paul.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 16th May 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 3,622 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 16th May 17, 1:07 PM
    • 16th May 17, 1:07 PM
    Zanderman - how long did it take for the code to arrive after you registered?

Paul.
    Originally posted by Paul_01
    I've been on their mailing list for months - but I think they've only been offering codes in the last few weeks. So probably less than a month after they confirmed they would be sending a code.
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 16th May 17, 8:16 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 986 Thanks
    Uxb
    According to the app details on Google play -the app permissions allow it to read your contacts.
    Now exactly WHY is this necessary?
    • Chapuys
    • By Chapuys 16th May 17, 8:22 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Chapuys
    According to the app details on Google play -the app permissions allow it to read your contacts.
    Originally posted by Uxb
    Probably so they can pay your contacts if necessary.
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
    • jamie_02
    • By jamie_02 16th May 17, 9:50 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    jamie_02
    Yeah lots of banks offer this, so they can implement Paym/Pay A Contact
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 17th May 17, 7:23 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    sausage_time
    What happens if you don't grant access? For example, Uber asks for this to share ride details. I denied, and the app still runs just fine (except of course I can't share my location with my contacts).
    • mwarby
    • By mwarby 17th May 17, 8:35 AM
    • 801 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    mwarby
    Originally posted by Uxb
    I have this app and an account with Starling, the contacts permission is off on my phone(was by default). As others have said probably only for pay by contact, there is the option to just enter account details
    • mwarby
    • By mwarby 17th May 17, 8:37 AM
    • 801 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    mwarby
    One thing which maybe of interest to some, they don't exclude those with adverse credit. I have an IVA on my file from 3 years ago and was accepted and offered a small overdraft
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 17th May 17, 9:17 AM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    firefox1956
    Not being able to use this bank across all platforms will be a big no no for me I am afraid.
    • starM
    • By starM 17th May 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    starM
    Hi, I have downloaded the app afew days ago and set it up with my email address and mobile number.

It is now asking input starling pass code. How long does that take to arrive?

Thanks
    MS
    • Doctor Duke
    • By Doctor Duke 17th May 17, 9:27 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Doctor Duke
    Been a customer for a few weeks now and well impressed. Charges are minimal, if any, offered in the app a £1k overdraft within days at a competitive 12% EAR, instant notifications for Debits inc contactless and Credits. The online customer interaction is virtually instant with good helpful advice. Cash can be deposited in a NatWest and cheque desposits are coming soon via scanner in the app. Android Pay and Apple Pay are also soon. They are also protected by the FCS £80k and use Faster Payments. Excellent so far IMHO.
    • starM
    • By starM 19th May 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    starM
    Hi, Just applied - it only asked for my name and address.

It is now stuck on checking your details screen with circle moving around. Is that referral? How long it takes for a decision? Thanks
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 19th May 17, 11:10 AM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    eDicky
    Hi, Just applied - it only asked for my name and address.

It is now stuck on checking your details screen with circle moving around. Is that referral? How long it takes for a decision? Thanks
    Originally posted by starM
    I can only guess - it could be that their system cannot immediately verify your name and address electronically, or maybe you have a slow data or WiFi connection at that moment.

It looks like they sent your code to sign up only two days after you registered - is that right?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,094Posts Today

8,494Users online

Martin's Twitter