Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bees**knees
    • By bees**knees 14th May 17, 9:31 AM
    • 958Posts
    • 32,494Thanks
    bees**knees
    Appeal to Mag Daily compers PLEASE READ POST 5
    • 14th May 17, 9:31 AM
    Appeal to Mag Daily compers PLEASE READ POST 5 14th May 17 at 9:31 AM
    We need regular posters for some of the Mag daily comps.
    It involves checking some of the magazines, posting new comps on the main board and linking to the Mag Daily thread - daily if possible.

At the moment there are 2 posters for half the magazines.
    Posters are needed for the other 9 - even checking a couple would be a help

Link to the list can be found here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72397170&postcount=12

Its a big ask but if you can help please PM me or post below so I can add you to the list.
    Last edited by bees**knees; 15-05-2017 at 9:02 AM.
Page 2
    • bugzie92
    • By bugzie92 15th May 17, 9:28 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 2,485 Thanks
    bugzie92
    I just don't understand why one needs to go to the trouble of posting individual comps when the answers are 90% time in the competition write up. If they are not, its a few seconds google search. I think having a pinned thread with links to all the mags would be helpful. Then people can click on the ones they want, and enter the ones they want. As I have said, finding the answers is rarely troublesome, and once you know the answer you tend to just remember it [I do anyway, i have never had to come to the forum to find an answer!]

thats my 2 pence
    Last edited by bugzie92; 15-05-2017 at 9:31 PM. Reason: to many 'anyways!'
    May total - £1435
    • Surfermom
    • By Surfermom 16th May 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 17,087 Thanks
    Surfermom
    I'm another one who uses the list every day and am very grateful for it. I tend not to thank the individual posts on the main board as I just skip them and go to the list.

I do appreciate everyone who posts them in whatever form though
    • brownhandbag
    • By brownhandbag 16th May 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 27,839 Thanks
    brownhandbag
    I just don't understand why one needs to go to the trouble of posting individual comps

thats my 2 pence
    Originally posted by bugzie92
    We should have all comps posted first on the main board. Any other correlated lists etc are a bonus and extra for users who wish this.

Some people would not regularly enter mag dailies, but then see a comp on the main board they are really interested in. Main board makes sure everyone gets the chance to choose to enter or not.
    total wins 2013 £5500 2014 £7500 2015 £23,900 2016 £10,650 2017 £9058.04
    ITV Winners Club Member #131
    • xLuckyxAshxWinsx
    • By xLuckyxAshxWinsx 16th May 17, 3:54 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 18,506 Thanks
    xLuckyxAshxWinsx
    I post some of the Mag Dailies as well as enter them. I do not use the front page but I use the links from the end of the thread (i.e the ones that me, firefly and jambo add) to set up new bookmarks for a new comp. I do this because I am rarely up to date on the main board.
    July wins - Moshi monsters trading cards, Squishy Mel, Minions lunch tin.
    August wins - £20 Aldi voucher (tw), Organix goodies and Gruffalo dvd (RC), Pair of School shoes (web),
    • bugzie92
    • By bugzie92 17th May 17, 1:19 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 2,485 Thanks
    bugzie92
    I do see your point but then again no one posts every clicktowin competition.
    May total - £1435
    • fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 17th May 17, 1:29 PM
    • 138,145 Posts
    • 3,833,950 Thanks
    fire**fly
    I do see your point but then again no one posts every clicktowin competition.
    Originally posted by bugzie92

there was a poll regading the CTW's with a big no to
    them being posted,

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5015979&highlight=don+post+click+ to+wins

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=66015449&posted=1#post66015449
    'What day is it?' asked Pooh 'It's today' squeaked Piglet, 'My favorite day' said Pooh
    A rustle in the wind reminds us a fairy is near,
    *fairysprinkles to all ¸¸..¸¸.*
    Duchess Tinkerbell fire**fly of the Alphabetty thread

• fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 17th May 17, 1:45 PM
    • 138,145 Posts
    • 3,833,950 Thanks
    fire**fly

perhaps a new poll asking if peeps/members want
    the daily mags posted each time a new prize is on
    as opposed to the other poll which asked which
    you comp from front page or posted threads,
    maybe it would give a wider range to see if peeps
    are in favour or not to having them posted on the
    main board with the questions something
    like B*C's straightforward poll
    yes or no ?
    'What day is it?' asked Pooh 'It's today' squeaked Piglet, 'My favorite day' said Pooh

• fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 17th May 17, 8:44 PM
    • 138,145 Posts
    • 3,833,950 Thanks
    fire**fly
    I tend to agree bugzie. I myself have always done them from my own bookmarks.
    The number of magazines and number of comps has grown so much since I started doing them years ago.

Having done the mags daily page for 5 weeks now it does seem as if I am just duplicating the work of the main board posters and I have to wonder how many people actually comp from my lists.

Maybe it is time to just have a front page with a link to each of the main magazine pages so that new ( and existing) compers can find them. Most regular compers know about the mag daily comps but new compers will need a link.

It would be similar to the C2W list - individual comps have never been posted there. I could still maintain the list as mags come and go

If they wish to continue then main board posters could still post the comps and answers for those who like them posted and link them to the end of the thread. They will just not exist as a full list.

Will continue as is for the moment. Maybe a poll is needed. Can anyone point me to how to set one up?
    Originally posted by bees**knees

I've put a poll on for peeps to vote yes or no to voting
    if they want the mag dailies still posting on main board
    or a list similar to the CTW's,
    Poll: Poll to see if peeps/members still want mag dailies posted on main board
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5651465

hopefully will help to get an idea if they are still wanted or not.

• xLuckyxAshxWinsx
    • By xLuckyxAshxWinsx 17th May 17, 9:03 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 18,506 Thanks
    xLuckyxAshxWinsx
    I personally still would like them posted on the main board as I then either tick or cross them and know what I have entered. Sometimes it doesn't take much to confuse me and I have missed them in the thread and only discovered them again on the main board.

Obviously this is just my personal opinion and if the votes end up against posting then so be it, if I miss one i'll just have to lump it lol
    July wins - Moshi monsters trading cards, Squishy Mel, Minions lunch tin.
    August wins - £20 Aldi voucher (tw), Organix goodies and Gruffalo dvd (RC), Pair of School shoes (web),
    • bees**knees
    • By bees**knees 17th May 17, 9:06 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 32,494 Thanks
    bees**knees
    I dont think there is any question that they should be posted on the main board - that way everyone has the opportunity to see the prizes and decide to enter even if they dont do the mag dailies on a regular basis

I was asking whether it is necessary to duplicate each comp on a further list in the regular competitions section or whether it would be enough to run a list of the magazines and their main comp pages there along with the linked comps from the main board.

Its simply a problem of time and effort since there are now so many mag comps.

I am quite happy to continue as it is through the summer but will have to pass it on to someone else in September as I am abroad for a few months.
    If someone is keen to give it a go on their own then that is good but it has been difficult to get a volunteer - it does involve quite a lot of time.
    If not then we will have decide how to move on.

I hope I havent upset people by raising the issue - Ive always been grateful for the posters of any competitions and the time they give to the board.
    Last edited by bees**knees; 17-05-2017 at 9:47 PM.
    • fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 17th May 17, 9:57 PM
    • 138,145 Posts
    • 3,833,950 Thanks
    fire**fly
    I dont think there is any question that they should be posted on the main board - that way everyone has the opportunity to see the prizes and decide to enter even if they dont do the mag dailies on a regular basis

I was asking whether it is necessary to duplicate each comp on a further list in the regular competitions section or whether it would be enough to run a list of the magazines and their comp pages there along with the linked comps from the main board.

Its simply a problem of time and effort since there are now so many mag comps.

I am quite happy to continue as it is through the summer but will have to pass it on to someone else in September as I am abroad for a few months.
    If someone is keen to give it a go on their own then that is good but it has been difficult to get a volunteer - it does involve quite a lot of time.
    If not then we will have decide how to move on.

I hope I havent upset people by raising the issue - Ive always been grateful for the posters of any competitions and the time they give to the board.

i'm just very interested in how the vote goes as we've always
    had the mag dailies posted on main & then
    linked to the sub board
    but am happy to go with whatever the outcome is,
    I doubt though anything will be done re the votes
    on the poll
    but it's interesting seeing how things go.

• GPark
    • By GPark 17th May 17, 10:18 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 11,438 Thanks
    GPark

I was asking whether it is necessary to duplicate each comp on a further list in the regular competitions section or whether it would be enough to run a list of the magazines and their main comp pages there along with the linked comps from the main board.
    Don't mean to interfere since I'm not involved in mag dailies at all, but would a solution be to set up the mag daily thread the same was as the other daily threads are set up?

I'm doing the rafflecopter/gleam thread at the moment, and I post each comp in a big list by end date, but I link to the comp posting on the main board rather than to the actual competition itself like on the mag dailies.

If the mag daily thread was run the same way, you wouldn't have to duplicate so much work - because the competitions where several mags share a prize would only need to be posted once instead of several times.

This thread for example is a comp with a shared prize across 6 different mags, if you were posting the links to the post on the main site, you could have a category for ldp, whats on tv, womans own etc as one link so would only need to post one link instead of 6.

Hope that makes sense!
    August Wins:

£100 Itunes Voucher
    • fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 17th May 17, 10:48 PM
    • 138,145 Posts
    • 3,833,950 Thanks
    fire**fly
    Don't mean to interfere since I'm not involved in mag dailies at all, but would a solution be to set up the mag daily thread the same was as the other daily threads are set up?

I'm doing the rafflecopter/gleam thread at the moment, and I post each comp in a big list by end date, but I link to the comp posting on the main board rather than to the actual competition itself like on the mag dailies.

If the mag daily thread was run the same way, you wouldn't have to duplicate so much work - because the competitions where several mags share a prize would only need to be posted once instead of several times.

This thread for example is a comp with a shared prize across 6 different mags, if you were posting the links to the post on the main site, you could have a category for ldp, whats on tv, womans own etc as one link so would only need to post one link instead of 6.

Hope that makes sense!
    Originally posted by GPark

think the daily mags used to posted originally with links
    to the ops on main board postings
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4827008
    not sure how/if it got changed.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4838995&highlight=chatmagazine+20 14
    Last edited by fire**fly; 17-05-2017 at 10:52 PM.

• WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 18th May 17, 8:53 PM
    • 2,172 Posts
    • 24,108 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    I just wrote a long post and then lost it, so apologies for the bullet points ...

1. I don't think there's any question of not posting the mag dailies on the main board. Everything should go on the main board and that was the outcome of a long argument some time ago when people said they would seem "hidden" if they weren't on the main board.

2. I did the mag dailies thread from Jan '16 to Jan '17. My main problem was the duplicated comps in the LifeDeathPrizes/Now/What'sOn group. They are TEDIOUS. Very, very tedious to transfer from the back of the thread to the front. I eventually worked out a system that cut down on time, but it is still BORING. I didn't really mind the others.
    Perhaps if this group of mags was in one single post within the thread it would cut down on time and the tedium? As I've said before, is it really necessary to have the comps in alphabetical order? It looks neat and is good for peoples' OCD, but I think we'd all survive if they weren't

3. Opening the magazine link to re-post on the front page is optional. You can right click and copy from the link on MSE.

4. No one (well, nearly no one) expects the front page to be updated every day. Even if comps are missed for a few days I'm sure we're all (well, nearly all) compassionate human beings and can understand people have lives in the Real World and the position is entirely voluntary.

• Juzza12
    • By Juzza12 21st May 17, 12:12 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 5,852 Thanks
    Juzza12
    I post some of the Mag Dailies as well as enter them. I do not use the front page but I use the links from the end of the thread (i.e the ones that me, firefly and jambo add) to set up new bookmarks for a new comp. I do this because I am rarely up to date on the main board.
    Originally posted by xLuckyxAshxWinsx
    This is what I do too, it seems unnecessary work for someone to maintain the list at the start of the thread.
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 21st May 17, 1:43 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 54,875 Thanks
    hdh74
    I just wrote a long post and then lost it, so apologies for the bullet points ...

1. I don't think there's any question of not posting the mag dailies on the main board. Everything should go on the main board and that was the outcome of a long argument some time ago when people said they would seem "hidden" if they weren't on the main board.

2. I did the mag dailies thread from Jan '16 to Jan '17. My main problem was the duplicated comps in the LifeDeathPrizes/Now/What'sOn group. They are TEDIOUS. Very, very tedious to transfer from the back of the thread to the front. I eventually worked out a system that cut down on time, but it is still BORING. I didn't really mind the others.
    Perhaps if this group of mags was in one single post within the thread it would cut down on time and the tedium? As I've said before, is it really necessary to have the comps in alphabetical order? It looks neat and is good for peoples' OCD, but I think we'd all survive if they weren't

3. Opening the magazine link to re-post on the front page is optional. You can right click and copy from the link on MSE.

4. No one (well, nearly no one) expects the front page to be updated every day. Even if comps are missed for a few days I'm sure we're all (well, nearly all) compassionate human beings and can understand people have lives in the Real World and the position is entirely voluntary.

Originally posted by WeAreGhosts
    Although I find the list very useful I never use the front page - in fact I never worked out what it was for. I start at the end and work backwards to wherever I need to catch up to and bookmark them from there. Using thanks and ticks to keep my places and say ta.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,194Users online

Martin's Twitter