Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dannymonaghan
    • By dannymonaghan 13th May 17, 3:43 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    dannymonaghan
    Scottish Power
    • 13th May 17, 3:43 PM
    Scottish Power 13th May 17 at 3:43 PM
    Hi there

I come and go on MSE using the guides and browse on other stuff. I have posted this here because I'm not quite sure what to do next.

I moved into my 1 bedroom flat 2 years ago. From there I read the home report seen the electricity was with Scottish Power and the gas was with British Gas. I called both and switched the accounts over to me, set up a direct debit and that was that. Around 8/9 months ago I got two letters through the door which were addressed to "owner occupier" I opened them to get bills stating I owed 600+ and 800+ straight away I called scottish power and was promptly told ignore them they are for a different account that isn't yours. As I was advised I ignored and continued to ignore for 2/3 months until they became threatening with debt collectors being called in. I called Scottish Power explained I wanted answers and was told the accounts been cancelled dont worry thats it sorted. The following month I get another letter, I call again, as before I'm told to ignore until January I get yet another bill. I call this time and say I'm not getting off the line until I get confirmation on what the hell is going on! I'm told on the telephone I owe 1200+ in electricity, which is damn near impossible in a 1 bedroom flat and have been paying direct debit since I moved in, and 1100+ for gas. First off I query the gas immediatly because they do not supply it to me, back and forth commences about them saying they do and me saying they dont. They check the national database turns out they dont supply me, imagine that. Then we start again with the electricity. I speak to someone who has told me there has been a mix up with the meters so basically I'm getting two bills, one im paying direct debit for and someone elses im getting mail from. At this point a complaint is raised and im given a tracker to follow. What follows is me checking month to month and calling month to month as all thats happening is it saying "your complain is ongoing" up until today when I do my weekly check and see that I no longer have any open complaints. I call about 10mins ago, I'm told the complaint was closed and its on a different account so another has been raised. To me this is no were near good enough. I have been wanting to leave scottish power since I joined the cheap energy club on MSE, I cant until this has been resolved so I'm pretty much being held to ransom and im just completely !!!!ed off with this situation and most importantly Scottish Power. Does anybody have any sort of advice ?

cheers
Page 1
    • honeyend
    • By honeyend 15th May 17, 11:43 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    honeyend
    • 15th May 17, 11:43 AM
    • 15th May 17, 11:43 AM
    I am an ex customer of Scottish Power and I know how you feel.
    If you haven't already raise a complaint and get a complaint number and get someone to hold the bill.
    I would also check that they have the right meter number and you are actually their customer.
    I would also email them, you will get an automated response but as you have no record of the call unless you tape it, it does show you have contacted them.
    I would start weekly meter readings, I photograph them with my phone so they are dated and timed. I would also switch supplier as so as possible, one with good customer service. You will at least know you are out of their clutches in the future.Really for a one bedroomed flat it should cost you no more than 50 a month and that with electric heating.
    Get a copy of everything that shows you only moved in on X date, you have sent the meter reading from that date and will only pay for that.
    The call centres are manned by people who have little understanding of how the system works, they lose information or do not log it. They also tell the odd lie.
    As its such a lot of money I would set aside an hour an evening to chase them, boring and frustrating but you may get somewhere. If they say they are going to contact you within 3-5 days ring them back and tell them they didn't, just keep pushing until you get a proper response.
    I had a pay as you go key meter and only 'owed' them 88, they sent me final demands etc. Have still not explained how you can owe money on PAYG. I only use less than 1kwh a day, so I send less than 15p a day on electricity, but they were estimating it as a residence and then sending me an 'invoice' for the difference between the energy I had bought and what they thought I used.
    I am sorry for anyone who is their customer, and actually paying an extra 1-2p a unit is well worth the cost to keep away from their alternative universe.
    Good luck, swap supplier.
    Last edited by honeyend; 15-05-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    • SHM87
    • By SHM87 17th May 17, 2:42 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SHM87
    • 17th May 17, 2:42 PM
    • 17th May 17, 2:42 PM
    I fully sympathise with anyone who moves into somewhere where Scottish Power are the current suppliers.
    I moved into my flat approx 3 years ago and to date still have had no bill. We heard nothing from them for months after contacting them to set up an account and the call centre staff we have encountered have been rude and unhelpful, and usually incompetent. We had letters requesting payment from associated debt collection agencies but never actually receive a bill. Our account is currently being set up.

I found the most progress was made when I raised a complaint via email, and then badgered them on the scottish power facebook page and by email until your complaint gets passed to someone more senior and then more action seems to occur.

I have found CAB helpful, and familiarise yourself with the 12 month back billing code. Be prepared to fight your corner and document all contact with SP. Good luck
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,556Posts Today

7,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin