Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • valleyboy22
    • By valleyboy22 13th May 17, 3:16 PM
    • 182Posts
    • 10Thanks
    valleyboy22
    Ants
    • 13th May 17, 3:16 PM
    Ants 13th May 17 at 3:16 PM
    We have been having ants it our home for around 3 years on and off especially warm weather. We noticed many after coming back from holidays a few years ago and all under put freezer was like a mountain of sawdust. We treated that area with ant traps and seems ok for now. Recently we noticed them in our living room walking up the door frame and on out carpet. Again we put traps down and calmed down for a while. Today we noticed alot of flying ants on out kitchen window and living room and again found some ants on the other side of our room. I think they are turning into flying ants. Any suggestions on this because we only know rentokil service and worried how much this would cost.
    Any advice please on this.
Page 1
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 13th May 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    Jonesya
    • 13th May 17, 3:45 PM
    • 13th May 17, 3:45 PM
    I wouldn't start paying for pest control.

I've had them get into the kitchen and living room before, getting in from outside around the door frames and cracks in brickwork. I went around with silicone sealant to seal every gap, but they still found ways in.

I've found the most effective routine is to put a line of ant powder around the foundation of the house, steady line around the edge of the wall. I also spray the door step and surrounding brickwork with ant spray.

Having had them get in for a few years, i found it's best to put the powder down and spray in early spring as the weather warms up and they start getting active. I did that in April and touch wood, haven't seen any in the house yet. You also need to remember to renew the powder and spray ever few weeks.

Get yourself down Wilko or Home bargains and you might be able to sort it for a £5.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 13th May 17, 6:14 PM
    • 15,015 Posts
    • 13,326 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 13th May 17, 6:14 PM
    • 13th May 17, 6:14 PM
    Get the ant killer that's designed to attract the ants, which they take back to the nest and feed to the queen, killing it.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th May 17, 6:16 PM
    • 23,417 Posts
    • 65,464 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 13th May 17, 6:16 PM
    I have done what Jonesya has done on several occasions. Basically creating a ring of ant powder around the very edge of the house. Haven't had to do it since we left London but it always worked for me!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 13th May 17, 6:16 PM
    • 4,004 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    Lorian
    Ant Stop Granules (from Wilko/others) is effective and much cleaner to use than powder.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th May 17, 7:09 AM
    • 22,601 Posts
    • 87,460 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 14th May 17, 7:09 AM
    • 14th May 17, 7:09 AM
    I once mixed whisky and sugar to make temporary ant killer, as I'd nothing in the house to deal with them.

It worked that one time, as we didn't see them again after they'd visited the tin lid we put it in and left overnight.

After my aged father died, we discovered an inheritance of ant killing powder of such magnitude, we've never had to repeat the above experiment!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th May 17, 7:31 AM
    • 29,130 Posts
    • 17,421 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 14th May 17, 7:31 AM
    • 14th May 17, 7:31 AM
    I think the trick is strike early and often, even if you think you have nailed them one year they seem to come back.

We get them greenhouse and the block paving, started about 2 weeks ago in the greenhouse and the block paving this week.
    • valleyboy22
    • By valleyboy22 14th May 17, 9:29 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    valleyboy22
    • 14th May 17, 9:29 AM
    • 14th May 17, 9:29 AM
    Thanks for the replies so far. We tried powder also with no joy and now we getting up to flying ants on our downstairs kitchen and living room every morning so they are turning.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 14th May 17, 11:31 AM
    • 4,299 Posts
    • 4,514 Thanks
    societys child
    • 14th May 17, 11:31 AM
    • 14th May 17, 11:31 AM
    "Flying ants" are actually the young leaving the nest and looking to start new colonies.
    Outdoors they usually leave the nest and fly in the evening and they lose their wings in a very short time.
    Not sure what time of day they'd leave an indoor nest.
    Last edited by societys child; 14-05-2017 at 11:43 AM.

• valleyboy22
    • By valleyboy22 14th May 17, 1:55 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    valleyboy22
    We are getting up in the mornings to them around our two windows. I'm gonna call our a local firm to get advice I think. We on holidays soon for two weeks so if not sorted God help what we will come back to
    • adonis
    • By adonis 14th May 17, 2:37 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    adonis
    We are getting up in the mornings to them around our two windows. I'm gonna call our a local firm to get advice I think. We on holidays soon for two weeks so if not sorted God help what we will come back to
    Originally posted by valleyboy22
    Get some Dethlac spray and spray it around all likely entry points.
    http://www.wilko.com/insecticides+pest-control/dethlac-ant-spray-250ml/invt/7337240

That is all you need to do.
    • valleyboy22
    • By valleyboy22 14th May 17, 6:44 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    valleyboy22
    Done that no joy.
    • wantonnoodle
    • By wantonnoodle 15th May 17, 4:19 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    wantonnoodle
    Another option is to use turmeric powder. Ants do not like it - my mum has used it to great effect around her greenhouse, when ant powder wasn't working any more. There are pros and cons to it though; the big plus is that it's cheap (100g for 50p in Asda's world foods section); you also are more likely to have it in the house than ant powder if you like curries.The only con is precisely that - it can make everywhere smell like the local indian takeaway. But if you're desperate for a solution, it may be worth a try.

I would also recommend trying to find out where the nest is - if you pour boiling water over the nest, it should kill the ants that are currently in the nest which while it won't get rid of the ones already out, should greatly reduce the local population.
    • valleyboy22
    • By valleyboy22 17th May 17, 7:12 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    valleyboy22
    Thanks for the reply.

The ants are mainly in living room/kitchen but by the looks in between linking walls so cant poor water in there.

We had a local pest control guy out which charged us £70 to place bait around the effecting areas but if honest it was probably a waste of money. I was advised to wait upto 5 weeks for the full effect to supposedly work but we will see.

Boric acid and tad of honey apparently works wonders so unless its sorted in this time i will get this guy back out because he would not have done his job properly.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 17, 7:32 AM
    • 22,601 Posts
    • 87,460 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Steam cleaner or wallpaper stripper any good?

Another idea is diatomaceous earth; sandpapers the b*ggers to death!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 17-05-2017 at 7:35 AM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • tony6403
    • By tony6403 18th May 17, 12:27 AM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    tony6403
    I once mixed whisky and sugar to make temporary ant killer, as I'd nothing in the house to deal with them.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Presumably got them so p!ssed they didn't care about diabetes.
    This space is intentionally blank.
    • valleyboy22
    • By valleyboy22 18th May 17, 7:24 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    valleyboy22
    going to also try boric acid. just looking to get the mix right.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th May 17, 7:24 AM
    • 22,601 Posts
    • 87,460 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Presumably got them so p!ssed they didn't care about diabetes.
    Originally posted by tony6403
    Not when they were dead, no.

It was an experiment, and it worked, but I haven't repeated it, so not very scientific.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,067Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin