Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 13th May 17, 9:26 AM
    • 522Posts
    • 1,381Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Adventures of the Boy & Me..
    • 13th May 17, 9:26 AM
    Adventures of the Boy & Me.. 13th May 17 at 9:26 AM
    Hello.

I've decided to start a fresh diary on here as I felt my last one was becoming confusing for myself to read back on and it was becoming a bit of a negative place for me to vent. I hope for this one to be more upbeat and a place I can share all the wonderful things that happen daily and any ways that I am able to save money/pay off debt.

A quick recap about myself.. Its just me and the boy who live at home with my mum. I work in quite a high pressured environment full time and juggle this along with everything else. I also have bipolar disorder- this is where things begin to get difficult at times but I need to remain positive and accept the diagnosis. It's time to move on from my past, focus on the present and not worry about the future ahead.

The boy is a wonderful child who is bright, enthusiastic and keen to learn. He has three hobbies and would do more if he could. I couldn't ask for a more laid back, loving and caring little individual- he's my best friend and the reason I smile and carry on. We do a lot together hence the title of this diary. It's the two of us and we're a team.

About myself? I've always been high functioning and I always strive for more with everything I do- which isn't always a good thing. I'm still trying to find the right balance. Aside from that, I'm your pretty average plain Jane. I'm quirky in my own ways, procrastinate lots but get things done, have a cracking sense of humour and overall a nice person to be around. I have a small circle of friends, a supportive family, a roof over my head and food in my stomach. So I'm rich in many ways.

In regards to the debt that I'll be focusing on, I had a car on PCP deal but last September decided to get a low interest loan to pay it outright which saved me thousands in interest. I paid off some lump sums and a few months later managed to move the remaining balance to 0% deals, which saved me further interest. Since then I've been overpaying as much as possible.

Although I'd like to pay off this debt as soon as possible, I also want to enjoy things in life and grab every opportunity available whilst I can. That's another reason for the title of this diary- Adventures of the Boy and Me. We do lots of things together and I do keep costs to the bare minimum and find ways to save money and still enjoy ourselves.

I'll update afterwards with a plan and realistic goals I'd like to achieve for the rest of the year ahead. For whoever reads this, feel free to comment and add your own little adventures if you'd like .
Page 9
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Jul 17, 8:08 AM
    • 816 Posts
    • 3,707 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Not popped in for a while , you seem to be very organised with everything and determined to be debt free as soon as possible.

Why don't you price up the dentistry work , and then take it from there .

Personally I would go for it , but look into the aftercare of veneers , I think if you are with an nhs dentist they won't look after the teeth with them on after . I seem to remember a work colleague saying. This may need you to go privately for further dentists trips in the future so may be a further cost.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 7th Jul 17, 9:00 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    You've done fantastically over the last year, and you rightly deserve some time to give yourself a pat on the back. A lot of people can learn from the techniques you used to save yourself thousands, really well done.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 7th Jul 17, 10:42 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Thanks Hidden.

At least it's something that would be worth it. It's not as if I'm spending thousands on tat or rubbish. I don't. I'm very careful with my money.

I can use the 0% purchase card and use some savings. I might then pay minimum on the finance for my teeth and focus on paying off the car. The two new credit cards are with Halifax and MBNA so still the same two providers.

I'm back at dentist on 2nd August so I've got until then to decide what route I'm going to take.

Even though my debt will increase, I'm excited.
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 7th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Cumbria.. I pay a private denplan anyway. I'd be entitled to 10% off the total costs. I've been looking into it for a while. I'll discuss further options at my next appointment.

I am determined to clear the debt and I'm mindful of ways to go about it.

One idea would be to pay minimums across each credit card and when I've built up a decent sum, to make lump sum payments.

Or another idea is that I carry on focusing on one card at a time, reducing the debt bit by bit whilst paying minimums on others.

Either way it will work. It's just deciding which route to take.

But I think having the dental work done will be life changing for me and improve my confidence and the way I think of myself.

I've all the time in the world to save for a house deposit. I'm not planning on leaving home anytime soon.

I've also got a holiday to pay for by next May. I best get my saving boots on.

--

Me and the boy have just been for a meal with his grandparents (dad's side) and it was a lovely little get together. Total spends were £20 but it was definitely worth the money
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 8th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning, it's a lovely sunny morning here. I'm currently sat in the garden watching the boy play tennis with his Nanna.

Today we have a rather busy day ahead. The boy has a birthday party to attend so I've put £5 in the card for his friend- I don't really know him that well so thought money would be better then a present they may not like.

After the party me and the boy are going to our local theme park which we have passes for. I'll probably take some snacks with us to minimise spending. The boy never asks for food to eat there and is happy with a picnic. A lot of the time he requests we take picnic food to keep costs down .

I'm working a 13.5 hour shift tomorrow so I'll need to get plenty of zzz in tonight.

There should be minimal spends these next few days as I'm working. I need to look at what's left in the budget for the rest of the month.

I've joined the PAD thread and have made one payment today of £20 to the MBNA card so my total debt is £4980. I will aim to reduce this as much as possible before I take on further debt to get dental work done.

I'm excited for the future and I know I'm disciplined enough to pay the debt off. I'll bend over backwards to do it. I'm also excited at the thought of being able to smile again without being self conscious.

The next to few months are going to be rather busy. I have lots I want to achieve and I think I'm going to focus on losing weight now. Maybe for every lb I lose, I could pay a £1 off debt

The summer holidays are also drawing near. There are plenty days out planned for me and the boy . I'm going to pencil them in my diary and fill with ideas of things to do. I may get the boy to write a list of things he'd like to do over the summer hols so he feels like he's involved with the planning. I also think I'm going to put him in a sports camp on days I am working as I believe he'll thoroughly enjoy it. He loves sports.

Anyway enough for now,

Happy Saturday everyone
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 8th Jul 17, 2:03 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Afternoon,

We are just back from the party the boy attended this morning. Lots of fun was had and I spoke to quite a few of the other mums during this time. I must confess I did have some spends at the party, £4.35 on a sausage and bacon barm and a hot chocolate to finish it off

The theme park we are going to is open until 7pm, so we're setting off at half two to go there for a few hours. Hopefully it won't be as busy as the day goes on..

I'm going to make myself some lunch now and get ready for the day ahead.

No doubt once we come home, we'll have tea and it will be an early night for all of us. I have my sleep pattern all lined up for the next couple of days. I'd like to be asleep by 9 at the latest as I'll be up at 5.30am tomorrow. The day after I have an early start too so I need go get the zzz in whilst I can.

I was offered an extra shift to work today but I declined it in order to spend time with the boy. It could have meant extra money in my pocket but I'd rather cherish the time I have with him. We don't always get to spend one on one time with one another with all that happens in life. So we mays as well enjoy it.

Happy days.
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 8th Jul 17, 6:37 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Evening,

We've not long got in from the theme park. It was very busy but we did manage six rides in the three hours we were there so didn't do too bad really. Spends were kept to a minimum £2.49 for a milkshake and an ice cream.. rather then pay theme park prices we went to the BurgerK in there and got the cheaper items on the menu lol

I'm about to make tea and then will settle for the night. My legs are aching from all the walking we've done and I've a long day ahead of me tomorrow.

Have a good night everyone
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 9th Jul 17, 6:21 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning

I'm currently sat in the garden with a cuppa, listening to what sounds like the birds arguing with one another . They are very chirpy this time of the morning.

Last night I fell asleep as planned just before 9pm. The medication I'm on does make me sleepy hence me getting such an early night. I'm not as drowsy in the morning as I used to be when I was on previous medications.

Before my diagnosis it was common for me to only get three hours sleep a night and I was horrendous during the day. I'm a lot calmer now and can see things clearly. I still have my depressive and manic moments, but it's not as much. Lately it just seems like my anxiety is through the roof. I need to talk to my consultant regarding this because it does affect many things that I do. It's like I'm scared to do anything sometimes.

Yesterday overall was a good day, even if at times I didn't want to do anything. I have to force myself a lot of the time to partake in activities if I'm feeling naff.

The boy is absolutely wonderful and such a gem. When I led down to chill out he kept coming over to me to check if I was okay and kissed my head. He's such a lovely boy and is so caring. He's definitely going to make someone so happy in the future. At times I do find it hard being a single parent but I know when I look at him, that I've got something right. I may be bias but those whom have come across him have all agreed he is lovely.

Anyhow I suppose I best get ready for work. I've spent a lot of time reflecting on things and I'm glad I have somewhere to write it (here).

I know this is a DFW board but sometimes I don't always have something debt/money wise to talk about so I just figure I'll post other aspects and thoughts that go on.

Happy Sunday everyone
    Check out my Diary
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 9th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 5,333 Posts
    • 26,277 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    You've done a wonderful job at being a parent, your boy sounds like a lovely polite little boy and you should be proud! x
    DFW £1783.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £571.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 9th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Debt repayments

MBNA: £200.00
    Total repayments: £200.00

Current Debt: 09/07/17

MBNA:£2000.00
    Halifax: £2800.00
    Total: £4800.00
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 9th Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    So I've finished my long shift and I'm absolutely shattered. I'm back again tomorrow for a 10.5 hour shift.

I need to stay mindful and keep positive. My mood dipped quite a bit earlier and I somehow managed to keep going and keep it altogether. It's not always that easy though.

I've made a debt repayment as you can see above and that's it for me now until maybe the end of the month.

I'm so tired I best head off to bed!
    Check out my Diary
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 9th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    • 5,333 Posts
    • 26,277 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Have a good nights sleep xx

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Chandelier
    Like you I don't always post about debt and saving and use my diary as a brain-dump to get things out and written down. It is also nice when good folks come on and just say "Hey, you're doing great!".
    BTW
    You ARE doing great
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 10th Jul 17, 6:30 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Thanks Hidden and UncannyScot.

Well it's the dreaded Monday morning. Normally I do not mind them but I'm still tired from yesterday and I've somehow overslept longer then I wanted to.

Usually I get myself up a good hour and a half before I set off from work so I can wake up properly. Not today apparently

Today should be a NSD. I've nothing planned. The boy starts his first session at beavers tonight. He's really excited. I'll most likely have to pay for his uniform in the future. I'm glad he's wanting to do it as he's keen to earn some badges lol.

I've also been told that his grandparents will buy his next pair of ice skates for his birthday. That takes the pressure off me a bit.

I don't actually know what to buy the boy for his birthday. He doesn't actually need anything and he's not asked for anything. What do you get for a soon to be 7 year old? He's got all the usual bike, scooter etc. When I asked him the other day he said he wanted a glockenspiel .. that was probably because we were on the merry go round and he saw one there lol.

The boy is actually going away for his birthday with his dad's side of the family. I don't think we are actually doing much. I've said no parties this year but I think I'll pay for him and a couple of friends to go somewhere.. There's a new climbing place near us that looks brilliant.

Anyhow I best get ready for work.

Happy Monday everyone.
    Check out my Diary
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Happy Monday and I hope you feel a bit more human later.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 10th Jul 17, 9:20 AM
    • 5,333 Posts
    • 26,277 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Happy Monday and I hope you feel a bit more human later.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    From me too x

• Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 10th Jul 17, 9:48 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I'm starting to slowly become more human as the day passes... I was like a zombie this morning
    Check out my Diary
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 10th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 4,014 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Morning Chandelier - glad you're feeling more human! I'm definitely not a morning person and it takes me a while to become functional so I feel your pain.

Here's a brain dump of birthday presents that we have got my nephew the past few years (he's 9 now):
    - Lego (he loves it!)
    - A ticket to see the motocross performers when they come to our local arena (my son went too and loved it)
    - Board games
    - A slushy drink maker (I thought it was a fad, but he has used it loads)
    - New football boots and goals for the garden

Maybe taking a wander around a toy shop would help? Give you some inspiration!

I felt the same this year with my 2 year old. Because I have two boys and they're only two years apart, it's hard to buy my youngest anything because his brother already has most things! He got a sand and water table and a soft toy and was delighted.

In terms of taking him and a couple of friends away, i think that's a great idea - cinema, bowling, go-karting, amusements, indoor trampolining, climbing wall... these things all go down well and don't need to cost a fortune.
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 10th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    • 1,421 Posts
    • 7,627 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Don't forget ebay and local facebook selling pages for Beaver uniforms. They only need them for a little while and so often kids join and then hate it so you can often pick up pristine jumpers for next to nothing. Also the group may even have a stock of second hand jumpers. Best if you can find one where the child wasn't bothered about badges so you won't have to do a lot of unpicking - and avoid any that have had badges wundawebbed or glued on as you'll never get them off.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 10th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Thanks for the ideas JoJo. I'll be sure to look into these. Boy has lots of lego and is forever playing. I think my mum would go mad if I got him more lol. He enjoys sorting out the pieces too .

Joey I don't have to worry about costs of uniform now. The boys Nanny (his dads side) went out and bought it him without me knowing. She helps out alot and dotes on the boy. It's the same with school uniform costs, she always pays half. He had a great time at beavers anyway.

So today has been a busy but wonderful day at work. It really makes a difference when you are fully staffed and have a good team to work with. I only had 2x 10hr shift booked for this week but I asked the manager if any more shifts going and she's given me an extra 10hr. That totals up my working week to 30 hours . I've previously mentioned I wanted to cut my hours back and I am managing this through doing bank shifts for now. If a permanent job comes up where I am then I'm going to apply for it .

One thing that has tickled me that I found in the boys room.... I'm a list maker and he often sees me write lists on a daily basis.. he'd only gone and wrote down his whole activities for the day in list format .

The boy also got an award today at school. His nanny, dad and dads girlfriend went to watch. They've sent me pictures and apparently his teacher made a big fuss over him and how he's a lovely boy to teach and to never change. He apparently never let's things get to him when they don't go as planned. He is so resilient. I love him to pieces.

Anyhow, I'm currently sat in the garden chilling out with a cuppa. I feel so relaxed and settled. Things seem to be going right at the moment. I'm not sure what else could make me happier. I'm finally getting into a routine with everything and I'm settling down.

For the first time in I don't know how many years, I feel normal and optimistic about the future.

Have a good night everyone
    Check out my Diary
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

9,533Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sneaky NAKED photo... ...of the room where many political and regional TV interviews are done. This is before the? https://t.co/fDdeKQOQuU

• The Premium Bond rate is being boosted from 1.15% to 1.4% should you pile in? My analysis... https://t.co/3Q7tjphAFO

• RT @colinjdunn: First #Plevin cheque received this morning - £548.66 from Nationwide & with other claims still outstanding - so thanks @Mar?

• Follow Martin