Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 13th May 17, 9:26 AM
    • 490Posts
    • 1,320Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Adventures of the Boy & Me..
    • 13th May 17, 9:26 AM
    Adventures of the Boy & Me.. 13th May 17 at 9:26 AM
    Hello.

I've decided to start a fresh diary on here as I felt my last one was becoming confusing for myself to read back on and it was becoming a bit of a negative place for me to vent. I hope for this one to be more upbeat and a place I can share all the wonderful things that happen daily and any ways that I am able to save money/pay off debt.

A quick recap about myself.. Its just me and the boy who live at home with my mum. I work in quite a high pressured environment full time and juggle this along with everything else. I also have bipolar disorder- this is where things begin to get difficult at times but I need to remain positive and accept the diagnosis. It's time to move on from my past, focus on the present and not worry about the future ahead.

The boy is a wonderful child who is bright, enthusiastic and keen to learn. He has three hobbies and would do more if he could. I couldn't ask for a more laid back, loving and caring little individual- he's my best friend and the reason I smile and carry on. We do a lot together hence the title of this diary. It's the two of us and we're a team.

About myself? I've always been high functioning and I always strive for more with everything I do- which isn't always a good thing. I'm still trying to find the right balance. Aside from that, I'm your pretty average plain Jane. I'm quirky in my own ways, procrastinate lots but get things done, have a cracking sense of humour and overall a nice person to be around. I have a small circle of friends, a supportive family, a roof over my head and food in my stomach. So I'm rich in many ways.

In regards to the debt that I'll be focusing on, I had a car on PCP deal but last September decided to get a low interest loan to pay it outright which saved me thousands in interest. I paid off some lump sums and a few months later managed to move the remaining balance to 0% deals, which saved me further interest. Since then I've been overpaying as much as possible.

Although I'd like to pay off this debt as soon as possible, I also want to enjoy things in life and grab every opportunity available whilst I can. That's another reason for the title of this diary- Adventures of the Boy and Me. We do lots of things together and I do keep costs to the bare minimum and find ways to save money and still enjoy ourselves.

I'll update afterwards with a plan and realistic goals I'd like to achieve for the rest of the year ahead. For whoever reads this, feel free to comment and add your own little adventures if you'd like .
Page 5
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 17th Jun 17, 7:57 AM
    • 374 Posts
    • 839 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Happy Birthday 🎉

Only just started readying your diary and you are doing really well.

Chocolate bouquet was a really good idea .

Have a faboulous day .
    July 2017 CC1 3769 CC 2 1150 Emergency Fund £1150

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 17th Jun 17, 8:06 AM
    • 4,371 Posts
    • 17,693 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Happy Birthday Have a lovely day!
    DFW £903.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £376.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £121.25 + £70 Cash + £50 Amazon
    July 17 PA £259.95 + £25 Cash + £65 Amazon
    August 17 PA £98.93 + £48.65 Cash + £60 Amazon
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 17th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Cumbrialass, feel free to continue to read! Alot of it is just my daily ramblings I need to get out somewhere. I'll have a gander through your diary later

Hidden, I'm sure I will

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

We are off to football now, to be honest I'd rather not but they have a tournament next Saturday so need all the practice they can get.

12-2 we have the boys friends party. Again I'm not massively looking forward to it but we'll attend none the less.

• Florence J
    • By Florence J 17th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 8,783 Thanks
    Florence J
    Happy Birthday
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1257.28 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2313.43/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £851.75/£1001.75
    July 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4519.44
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 17th Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Thanks Florence!

So I'm just waiting now to go for my birthday meal .

We had a good morning with football and then we went to the boys friends party. I get along with the parents very well and we've been invited round on Tuesday. They also offered me their friendship and support any time I should feel I need it and stated their door is always open for us. They are truly wonderful people and absolutely adore the boy. They even pretend married the boy and their daughter . I must make a mental note to make more effort to keep in touch. It's hard when I'm working full time and juggling everything else.

So all in all a great day, we stayed longer then planned but I was sat in the sun all relaxed and happy.

That describes my overall emotional state right now- happy, content and loved by those around me. It's been a long while since I truly felt like this.

I've had some lovely presents too. A shiny new rainbow stripy towel which I've wanted since I spotted one on holiday, some jewellery, bathsets and some money off my mum.

I hope my day continues to be as good as it has been
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 17th Jun 17, 10:17 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I hope you had a lovely meal! Happy Birthday
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 18th Jun 17, 6:21 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning !

I'm up bright and early as I've got work this morning. I've managed about 5 hours sleep as it was a late one for us last night.

We went for a meal at our local Italian which was lovely, it was a nice relaxed atmosphere and the food was good. We then went to a family bbq after just to show our faces and ended up staying a while. My auntie brought me a small cake and sang happy birthday to me. It was hilarious, even though I hate being centre of attention lol. So all in all a busy day yesterday and I'll probably feel the effects of it later on.

I think I'll definitely be on a detox today after all the food consumed yesterday. I feel like I'm in a food coma .

I've also a busy upcoming week ahead of me and have plans pretty much every day, which is a first in long while.

Monday: Work.
    Tuesday: Appointment, work training, tea round the boys friends house.
    Wednesday: Work training then out for lunch with old friend.
    Thursday: Work.
    Friday: Work.
    Saturday: The boy's football tournament.
    Sunday: Work.

Not exactly much space in the next week to sit back and relax but I guess that means minimal spends hopefully.

I did receive some money for my birthday yesterday and I'm yet to decide what to spend it on. I may use it to have my hair done maybe next month or something.

What I do know though is I'm determined to pay this debt off as soon as possible though and then concentrate on saving for holiday/house. I went to my friends yesterday and they recently bought a place a year ago and it just made me think what a cute little home they have and it's something me and the boy could have.

However I don't want to rush into something like that. It's a dream and a goal I can work towards, I won't rush into buying anything. I want everything to be just right when I do .

Anyhow I'm off to get ready for the day ahead. I hope everyone has a lovely Sunday. The weathers certainly looking great .
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 19th Jun 17, 6:09 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning .

I can't believe it's Monday again! Time is definitely flying and I can't believe we're halfway through 2017 already.

Yesterday was a NSD. I finished work, came home and chilled for a bit and then fell asleep around 6pm. I then slept until half 12, was awake for an hour then back to sleep until 5.30am which I then decided to get up for the day ahead. I think my previous days antics wiped me out .

The only other thing is I think I have a dreaded water infection again. I had investigations at the hospital on Friday and was told this could be a complication, alas my body decides it would like another water infection. Usually I'd hold off something like this for a while but my last water infection before my holiday, lasted three weeks with three courses of antibiotics and a hospital admission with IV antibiotics. It's not something I want to repeat. I seem to be prone to these no matter what I do. Sadly my followup appointment regarding this isn't until the end of October.

Anyhow.. This week is going to be a busy one with lots planned. I'll try keep spends minimal where possible but I'm going to enjoy myself when I'm not at work.

I will most likely knowing myself make some overpayments at some point this week. My HTB Isa always had a lovely round even 0 at the end but when interest earnt was added to the balance, it now has a random figure which I don't like. So I think I'll use the interest made, to split between putting some into the boys savings and the rest towards debt.

Payday is next Wednesday so hopefully I'll be able to check at work what my expected income is on Friday and plan for the month ahead. I'll need to remember to set aside funds for the boy's show (£50pm until September), £180 for car tax and then maximum of £500 for car insurance. I can then take a look at what I can budget towards debt repayments. I'm hoping to get the balance to £5500 for July, if not lower.

I've a meeting at work next Monday to decide where I'm going next with my career. Hopefully the manager will discuss her plan with me. I know she mentioned something about full time hours but I was hoping to cut down to 30 hours maximum so hopefully we can discuss that and come to an arrangement. She must see potential in me as she doesn't have to have a plan for me as I came to this environment from another for a placement for a more supportive return to work.

Who knows, just need to watch this space..
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 19th Jun 17, 6:29 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I also wanted to add since watching what I eat more, cutting out sugar from tea/coffee etc.. I've lost 5lb since last Monday. Now the plan was for June to lose 10lb but I only started mid month so I'll be happy with a 7lb loss in total by the end of the month. I do have a lot of weight to lose. Ideally I'd like to lose around 70lb and see how I look then to decide whether I want to lose any more.

For such a small person, I carry my weight quite well. Where it all is, I don't know... All I know is I look forward to losing weight and gaining back my confidence and my biggest motivation is my sisters wedding next year. The weight loss is easily doable if I stick at what I'm doing. I'm not depriving myself of food/snacks/treats.

I mean last week I've had a ice cream trip out/pizza night on friday/birthday on Saturday which consisted of lots of food.

I look forward to being back on track and raring to go for the week ahead!!

I'll do this alongside my debt busting and keep myself motivated. The medication I'm on is known for weight gain, I want to beat this and lose the weight instead.

So 5lb down, 65lb to go!

• SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 19th Jun 17, 8:54 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 12,397 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    A belated happy birthday!!!

Hope you have a good week and good luck with the meeting in work too.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 19th Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 3,492 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Glad you had a lovely birthday! Sounds like you have a busy week ahead so enjoy and I hope the planning meeting with your boss goes well
    CC1: 3,774.32/4,200 | CC2: 5,077/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,292.57/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,739 or 18.66%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 20th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Total Debt: 20th June 2017

MBNA: £2900.00
    Halifax: £2900.00

Total:
    £5800.00

--

I've moved some funds around to pay off more of the debt and bring it back to solid round figures of zero which makes me feel more at ease.

I transferred the interest earnt in my help to buy isa over towards the Halifax credit card and rounded it up using what's left in my current account to bring it down to the sum of £2900. I'm leaving this account well alone until pay day now.

I also moved around some other money within the budget to free up a £50 payment for the MBNA card to bring that to £2900. This is my main account to focus on as it's the first account where the 0% offer will be up.

All I need to do now is set up standing orders for the first of each month with a set amount and then I can choose from there onwards to make higher payments should I choose to. I can continue to do this manually as I tend to be on the ball as a whole but I wonder if it will make life that just bit easier.

Anyhow that's what's happened MSE wise so far today.

The appointment I was suppose to attend has been cancelled and it's looking like it's not going to be rescheduled until the end of July which is frustrating and has put me in a bad mood. Sometimes I'm not quite sure why I bother.

Anyhow, I'm currently waiting for my CPN to pop round and have a chat and I'm also waiting in for my mums sofa to be delivered. This afternoon I have work training for four hours and then I'm off round a friends house as the boy is going there for tea so I'll have a good catch up with them.

Hope everyone has a nice day.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 21st Jun 17, 8:03 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning.

Yesterday was a busy day.. I saw my cpn and then I went to work for training. What was suppose to be four hours turned into two but no one decided to tell me. I then went round to friends house who picked the boy up and had tea with them. After that the boys dad and girlfriend picked us up and we went for an ice cream and a little walk. All in all, an okay day. Total spends were just under £10.

Today I have training for another course and then I'm meeting up with an old friend for lunch. I thought about putting this off but we've been trying to arrange something for a long while and it will do me good to get out even if it does mean more spends. I have money in the budget for it.

If I'm totally honest I'm absolutely exhausted and have so much I need to do, I just don't know where to find the time.

My bedroom needs a massive declutter for one, I just have no energy to do it.

I'm also becoming far too obsessed with seeing the debt numbers come down. It's not that I'm living hand to mouth each month but every so often I get these massive urges to make massive overpayments. I don't know why as it's all on 0%. I think I just want it gone. It's funny how I never used to treat my car repayments as a debt but since transferring it all to a better deal I see it in a different light. I just don't feel satisfied even though I've made big overpayments this past month.

It's like I don't have a problem with spending on credit cards/getting into debt for buying things. It was a solid purchase to save money on something I'll keep until it's on its last legs.

I need to focus on saving for our holiday for next year but all I think about is getting rid of this debt as fast as possible which isn't healthy.

Once everything is paid off I'd have quite a healthy surplus each month.

I think I need to get back to a healthy balance of saving/paying off debt. Maybe a 50:50 approach.

And no more booking holidays on a mad one haha!
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 21st Jun 17, 8:28 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I used to be obsessed about my savings building up.. now it's the other way. However along the way I've used savings to make big overpayments to the debt. I need some balance between it.

I check my banking daily. I'm obsessed with working out numbers and figures and pushing myself to pay it off quicker.

After the debt and holiday is paid off i'll then probably concentrate on saving for a deposit for a house amongst other things. I know the end is near for these things and I haven't a huge time frame for it all.

I guess I'm fortunate in many ways. I'm just impatient.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 22nd Jun 17, 8:08 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning.

Yesterday was a busy day. I had work training in the morning and then met my friend for lunch which was lovely and relaxed. The total cost for lunch was £7.49 so not overly expensive. I then picked the boy up and we spent some time together and then later on I went to meet another friend for a drink and catch up. We grabbed a milkshake and sat by the beach watching the world go by.

My moods have been fluctuating horrendously lately and I can't seem to get them under control. I'm also struggling to take my medications as I've had to up the dosages each week which I've found confusing and often I've fallen asleep before I've remembered to take them. So not good news there. I'll eventually get there somehow it's just going to take time and patience.

This morning I've a support worker coming round to see me to go through a few things and see how I'm doing. I'll probably confide alot in her and my recent struggles. After this I've got work until 9pm and then I've a long day ahead of me tomorrow.

There's not much else going on regarding the debt front. I've become too obsessed and fixated on seeing the numbers go down that it's making me more anxious. I need to stop this cycle and thought process as it's not healthy.

I'm not quite sure what approach to use anymore. Whether I just make one payment at the beginning of each month and then maybe review this half way through the month/towards the end of the month rather then constantly looking/checking and making overpayments here and there. Or do I just allocate a lump sum payment to the cards at the beginning of each month and leave alone until the next month, rather then worrying about making any further overpayments.

I could always do the last option and start building up my savings again and then when I feel appropriate make lump sum payments.

Decisions decisions.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 22nd Jun 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 12,397 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I may have said before, but I'm a huge fan of YNAB but if you're not looking to use that, then I would suggest a lump sum at the start of the month and live on what you have left, regardless of what crops up.

Everyone is different and some other techniques may work better for you.

Have a look at YNAB.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 22nd Jun 17, 8:44 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I could never get to grips with it Speky. Budget wise I'm fine and I know what goes out here there and everywhere.

If you add up all the savings I have, minus the debt totals, I have a positive balance. I just don't want to touch the savings in my HTB Isa and put in maximum amount each month. The other savings I see as an emergency fund/fund for annual expenses.

I never go into negative balances and I'm careful with what I spend each month. If I use more from one pot, I use funds from other pots.

It's just that urge to overpay constantly. I need to somehow get over this. I know I'm doing well and I know I can clear the balances eventually. It just seems I want to do it faster then planned so it's all over and done with.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 22nd Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 4,371 Posts
    • 17,693 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I'd say you know you can stick to your budget, you know you won't see any 'spare' money as free to go and waste it etc.

So I'd pay at the beginning of the month then leave alone until the day before your next money shuffle and pay what you want of the 'spare' money as over payment and savings.

Where as I'm not as good so try to pay it all on payday so I can't dip into anything 'extra'

Im sure you'll decide on what's best for you xx
    DFW £903.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £376.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £121.25 + £70 Cash + £50 Amazon
    July 17 PA £259.95 + £25 Cash + £65 Amazon
    August 17 PA £98.93 + £48.65 Cash + £60 Amazon
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 22nd Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 3,492 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I know what you mean about feeling obsessive about overpaying/ checking balances as I have a tendency to be like that too. I check my bank account a few times a day, even if there's nothing happening at all!

It sounds like, for you, doing your payments monthly after pay day then focusing on something else until the next payday comes round might work best. Can you perhaps concentrate on your diet, or sleeping habits, or work routines...something or multiple things to take your focus away from finances until you need to review again?

Just a suggestion!
    CC1: 3,774.32/4,200 | CC2: 5,077/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,292.57/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,739 or 18.66%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 22nd Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    JoJo I'm glad I'm not the only one who becomes obsessed. Sometimes it makes me feel sad there is not more going on lol.

I seem to become obsessed with everything I do and focus on too many things at once where maybe I should focus on one thing at a time. It's breaking that habit.

Maybe I should allocate a time on a certain day to focus on different things in my life and make small changes along the way.

And maybe make plans that don't involve food all the time.

The support worker came to visit me this morning and we've had a good chance to talk through everything and what may be of a benefit to myself. She even stated she would go to the gym with me! That made me laugh.

It's got to be onwards and upwards from here. Time to break old habits and develop new ones.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,207Posts Today

8,101Users online

Martin's Twitter