Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 13th May 17, 9:26 AM
    • 490Posts
    • 1,321Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Adventures of the Boy & Me..
    • 13th May 17, 9:26 AM
    Adventures of the Boy & Me.. 13th May 17 at 9:26 AM
    Hello.

I've decided to start a fresh diary on here as I felt my last one was becoming confusing for myself to read back on and it was becoming a bit of a negative place for me to vent. I hope for this one to be more upbeat and a place I can share all the wonderful things that happen daily and any ways that I am able to save money/pay off debt.

A quick recap about myself.. Its just me and the boy who live at home with my mum. I work in quite a high pressured environment full time and juggle this along with everything else. I also have bipolar disorder- this is where things begin to get difficult at times but I need to remain positive and accept the diagnosis. It's time to move on from my past, focus on the present and not worry about the future ahead.

The boy is a wonderful child who is bright, enthusiastic and keen to learn. He has three hobbies and would do more if he could. I couldn't ask for a more laid back, loving and caring little individual- he's my best friend and the reason I smile and carry on. We do a lot together hence the title of this diary. It's the two of us and we're a team.

About myself? I've always been high functioning and I always strive for more with everything I do- which isn't always a good thing. I'm still trying to find the right balance. Aside from that, I'm your pretty average plain Jane. I'm quirky in my own ways, procrastinate lots but get things done, have a cracking sense of humour and overall a nice person to be around. I have a small circle of friends, a supportive family, a roof over my head and food in my stomach. So I'm rich in many ways.

In regards to the debt that I'll be focusing on, I had a car on PCP deal but last September decided to get a low interest loan to pay it outright which saved me thousands in interest. I paid off some lump sums and a few months later managed to move the remaining balance to 0% deals, which saved me further interest. Since then I've been overpaying as much as possible.

Although I'd like to pay off this debt as soon as possible, I also want to enjoy things in life and grab every opportunity available whilst I can. That's another reason for the title of this diary- Adventures of the Boy and Me. We do lots of things together and I do keep costs to the bare minimum and find ways to save money and still enjoy ourselves.

I'll update afterwards with a plan and realistic goals I'd like to achieve for the rest of the year ahead. For whoever reads this, feel free to comment and add your own little adventures if you'd like .
Page 10
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 10th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 860 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Sounds like you had a good day. You must be so proud of your son, it sounds like you have done a wonderful job with him .

Well done on the extra hours , but don't tire yourself out .
    Aug 2017 CC1 £3659 CC 2 £1063.50 Emergency Fund £1200

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 10th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Thanks Cumbria, I'm definitely proud and maybe a little bit smug right now .

I won't tire myself out. I've actually cut back on my hours and I'm enjoying the time to myself.

My pay will now be weekly so I'm going to have to transfer the money aside into a separate pot for August's budget until the end of the month. I think I have three paydays left this month to go towards August budget. I must work out roughly what I shall be paid.
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 11th Jul 17, 8:44 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning everyone

It's my day off but I'm going to try and keep myself busy until I need to pick the boy up. It's wet and miserable here so perfect weather to get jobs around the house done.

I've decided I'm going to cancel my phone insurance (£6.99 a month). I've only 6 months left to run on contract and then I'll switch to sim only. I'll use phone handset until it dies a slow death. And then I'll replace by buying a handset with cash. No more phone contracts for me. The prices are always creeping up. I now pay £1 more then the original deal I paid for .

Another thing I'd like to look at is our car insurance renewals that are due by end of August. My mum and I usually get a multi car policy deal and have been with same provider for past three years as they have always come out cheapest. However will shop around this year and see if current providers can match the cheaper prices and maybe haggle it down a bit more too like I usually do .

Another thing I need to look into is buying a new hard drive. My old one is still nowhere to be found and I'm still gutted right now. However I need to free up space on my phone and guess it makes sense to move them across to a portable hard drive. So I'll do some research here.

I've also lots of paper work to sort through in my bedroom from the past couple of years. For whatever reason I've let it build up and now there is just lots of paper in different bags, oops .

Also on my to do list is to finally send off the form for the hooded top for boys upcoming show. I've filled it off, I've just not scanned it... oops again

So there is plenty of stuff for me to crack on with. I'm tinkering with the idea of doing some baking with the boy after school. I'm not sure what exactly we will make but I'm positive that we'll have lots of fun. I want to teach him to bake and cook so one day he can look back and remember these moments together and also to give him the skills for the future. Yes I'm aware he's only six but can never start too early . It's just fun baking.

Anyhow that's pretty much it, today should be a NSD as I'm not venturing out anywhere so I can't spend
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 11th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I can't find the motivation to get started

Where has it all gone?
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 11th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Well I've took a break. I finally found my mojo somewhere and have decided to start sorting through all my paper work. There is so much to sort through its untrue.

Years worth of bank statements, important documents etc. I don't know where to put it all or what to do with it.

I have a shredder somewhere at home so I can shred some of it. Other bits I'm not quite sure how to file them properly.

I've also found some great reading from previous therapy sessions which I might read later on at bed time.

I suppose I best get back to it!
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 11th Jul 17, 1:26 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I cannot for the life of me locate the shredder. I'm off to buy a new one because I want this paperwork gone. I have boxes full of papers, old uni work and just general clutter. I'm going to make it my mission to sort these out and make it all pretty and neat.

Whilst I'm out, I'm also going to buy myself a new hard drive to put our pictures on. I'm still sad I cannot find old one but I start to become obsessed with looking for it, checking places I've already checked and somehow it leads to a manic/depressive state. I've turned the house upside down goodness knows how many times. I just can't work out where it is. I have a feeling it may have accidently been binned for some reason or another.

I'd like my room to be decorated soon so this is the start of the big declutter. I want my bedroom to be minimalist and light, open and airy. I want calming colours. I want it to be my safe place.

I've found some old baby things that I've offered to my brother as he and his wife are expecting a little one soon. If they don't want it then I'll donate to charity. We have a cot we need to get rid of too.

Somehow I don't think I'm going to be having babies any time soon .. So I mays well get rid of the stuff to free up space.
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 11th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    So... I bought myself a shredder and the boy has had lots of fun shredding items. I wonder when the novelty will wear off lol.

I also bought a hard drive so have managed to transfer alot of stuff over to it from my phone.

So it's been a rather spendy day!

I've also decided to treat myself to a new laptop which I shall pick up tomorrow. I miss having a decent laptop and the current one takes an age to load. I'm going to get it wiped clear and give it to the boy to use for his school work.

So not very MSE but it's needed and I deserve a treat so I'll allow it for once
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 12th Jul 17, 7:44 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning.

I had a rough nights sleep last night so I'm feeling rather groggy this morning and less like myself. I think I managed around six hours which is poor for me. I'll try to catch up on sleep tonight.

Today I have one of the ladies from my care team coming round to see me. My CPN is currently off for quite a bit so I think she's just coming to check up on me and see how I'm doing.

I'm working Thursday and Friday so there's quite a bit I need to get done today whilst I'm off. I still need to finish some things off yesterday's to do list such as cancel phone insurance, scan and send for boys hooded top and look at car insurance renewals.

Last night I sat down and started sorting through all my paperwork and we got rid of loads of things- we filled the paper recycling bag up to full. Most things are now nearly put away into folders and it's much more organised. I still have a bit left over to file.

I shall be picking up my new laptop later. I got quite a good deal for it and it is going to cost me less then £250.00. I shall use my savings to pay for this.

I'm going to have to carefully watch my spends for the rest of the month from now on and only spend where necessary. My bank balance is looking a bit poor but I have cash stashed away for other budgeted areas which I can use if needed.

Today's to do list:

- Put boy in breakfast club and afterschool club.
    - Check out pricing re dental plans.
    - Finish filing.
    - Pick up laptop.
    - Send off hooded form.
    - Sort out online banking and align these up.

Happy Wednesday everyone
    Check out my Diary
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Jul 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 12,398 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    You seem very organised, I think I've said that before.

The diary on here certainly help. Even just writing what your thinking tends to help.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 12th Jul 17, 8:43 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I think you've said it a couple of times Speky .

The truth is I'm far from it.
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 12th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    So I went to pick up my shiny new laptop this morning .. the price was suppose to be £209.99 but for some reason it came up at £239.99.. after discussing it with the guy at till he put the price back to what it originally came up at. Win win here .

I've seen my support worker and caught up with her. I'm now sat in my garden chilling out for a bit. I'm still feeling rather groggy but I have lots to catch up on.

I've sorted out the boys breakfast/after school club for the rest of the week. So that's one thing ticked off my to do list. I need to carry on with filing the paperwork. After that I can focus on everything else.

Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 12th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I thought I would write an update whilst on my shiny new laptop! At least this way it is easier to make my posts all nice and pretty rather then struggling whilst on my phone.

I have lost my motivation to do half the jobs I need to get done. I feel like everything is such hard work at the moment even if it is the simplest tasks. I would love to go back to bed right now instead of doing what needs to be done.

The filing of the paperwork is a big one for me. I struggle what to keep and what to get rid of. My mum helped me a bit last night and was rather ruthless at getting rid. There was just so much paper and I didn't know what to do with it all. I need to start keeping a close tab on it all and not let it build up like I clearly have done over the past twelve months. Yesterday I went to the pound shop and bought a plastic tray to keep bills/post in and each week I will make an effort to go through it and sort it all out into the correct folders. Hopefully then I shouldn't lose anything and it will all be easy to find .

I also need to figure out what to do for the boys birthday. I said I wasn't having a party this year but I will feel bad if we don't do a little bit of something. I am thinking of letting him pick a couple of friends to go bowling with and then food afterwards- or maybe the cinema. I must research prices and see which is the most cost effective way to do it. And I will ask him what he would like to do. Or another idea is for me to take him on a day out to theme park with our Merlin passes and book a hotel for overnight. Maybe that would be a better idea. I'll question it later with him. If so I will have to book early enough to get a room somewhere rather then last minute.

Another on my to do list as well as the other bits today is to compare car insurance renewal prices and get a rough idea of what it is going to cost me this year. I am hoping to haggle it down cheaper then last years prices.

I also need to phone the tax office as they have changed my tax codes and I seem to have been taxed alot on my weekly wage for this week. I must do this one as soon as possible or else they'll be heavily taxing me for the rest of the tax year .

I'll update later on my progress. Hopefully I will get more done then I feel like.
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 12th Jul 17, 9:58 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Evening, just a quick one before I go off to bed as I am up early in the morning.

I have managed to get quite a few things done today especially under certain circumstances. My mood has been quite low and my motivation levels are zilch. I can't say anything drastic has happened to make me feel like this, because it hasn't. I think I spend so much time doing different things that I totally exhaust myself both physically and mentally. I never find the right balance.

Here is today's to do list:-

- Put boy in breakfast club and after-school club. The boy is in breakfast club tomorrow morning, having a sleepover at his Nanny's and then going to after-school club on Friday.
    - Check out pricing re dental plans. Still need to do this.
    - Finish filing. All paperwork filed into correct folders and put into a box and taken upstairs. It is all easily accessible now and I have a small tray where I can put letters in for the week and at the end of the week I will file into the correct sections.
    - Pick up laptop. Laptop picked up this morning. As mentioned previously it was a bargain. It's just taking some getting used to. I am not used to Windows 10.
    - Send off hooded form. Still need to do this. I seem to be putting this off and I don't know why. I think I just dread the whole scan and send process.
    - Sort out online banking and align these up. Online banking sorted and all accounts lined up.

I have also looked at car insurance renewal quotes and it's looking more expensive then last year everywhere I look. I tried to speak to my current provider but they stated I have to wait until I get my renewal quote through at the beginning of August. I just want to know how much I'll be spending. I am so impatient. I have a least a rough estimate of what to expect. I understand insurances go up each year but some of these prices are just ridiculous.

I have also got onto the tax office as for some random reason I decided to check my online tax account and found that I had the wrong tax code. A quick phone call sorted this out and I also sorted out the whole uniform/union fees allowances out. Rather then get a rebate they've added extra allowances to my tax code which back date to 2015, so I will pay less tax over the next tax year. Win win .

Tonight we have also been food shopping and I've just finished packing that away. Our food stores look a bit more stocked now. We are currently in the process of running one of our freezers down so we can defrost as its very icy! We have three freezers in total and each are organised so we know where to find what we are looking for.

Although I might sound quite organised, I am far from it. I just have silly obsessions over certain things such as the freezers! Hahaha.

Anyway, good night and sleep tight everyone.
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 13th Jul 17, 6:02 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning..

So I'm just sat in the garden trying to wake up properly. Once again I didn't get the best sleep. I really need to look at my sleeping patterns and get myself to bed earlier.

There's nothing much going on today apart from work. I'll keep myself busy there.

I forgot to mention that on Monday the boy got an award at school. I was so proud. However yesterday I received a message to say he's got another one. That will be two weeks on the run . He hasn't had one all year (no idea why) but then he gets two at once. I'm happy for him.

It's my weekly pay day tomorrow. I'll put it aside in a separate bank account for August pay day. All my other banking is lined up now.

Anyhow not much else going on.. happy Thursday everyone
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 13th Jul 17, 6:32 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Small to do list today.

- Email work stuff to correct department.
    - Email boys hooded top form (MUST DO)
    - Make boys packed lunch and pack his football kit.
    - Print off pay slip.
    - Enquire about work related documents.
    - See if I can pick up anymore shifts.
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 13th Jul 17, 10:05 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I've agreed to do 3 hours overtime today to help out. I'm just thinking of it as extra money..
    Check out my Diary
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 13th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 7,536 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    You are doing so well - getting your paperwork under control is such a good idea as you'll then know where everything is should you need it, and that helps stop panic attacks around renewals or having to check stuff.

Regarding your son's birthday - do you have any nectar points? They are doing a really good deal on Vue and Pizza Express https://www.nectar.com/summerrewards - 1000 points gets you 2 tickets to Vue cinemas, or 2 pizzas at Pizza Express and obviously 2000 points would get you both.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 13th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Thanks Joey. I'm glad the paperwork has been done and out of the way. It was a huge bug bear of mine. I tend to throw everything into a pile and let it build up.. not anymore

In regards to his birthday he's decided on a day out to Alton Towers. We have Merlin passes which means the only cost will be a overnight stay in a hotel, petrol and food costs (there is a restaurant there I would like to try). I might make it into two day trips so we have time to do everything.

I've just finished work and I'm absolutely shattered so it will be bedtime for me soon. I just need to wind down and relax for a while before going to bed.

Good night and sleep tight.
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 14th Jul 17, 6:20 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Good morning

I'm up bright and early. I'm currently sat listening to the birds in the garden. Lately the garden has been my favourite place to wind down- I usually spend an hour here in the morning and maybe an hour in the evening to sit and collect my thoughts. It seems to be working for me.

Today is the first of my weekly pay package. I've worked out I've three paydays left this month (including today's) which I'll use the for my income for August. I may have to pay less debt off for August, I'm thinking roughly around £250. I'll tackle that when I come to it.

I also need to start building up a holiday fund for next year's holiday. I may have to put the extreme debt busting on the back burner for a while to do this but none the less I'll still make payments.

I've car insurance to pay at the end of August and my registration fees In September. After that the only thing I've to worry about is Christmas but I can easily do that on a small budget.

My goal in regards to debt is to just pay as much as I can when I can. I'm not setting any big goals as I just become obsessed and end up not doing anything for myself. Which isn't always good. the debt is manageable even if I will soon be adding to it for dental work. I need to remember this and get in the mindset of it not being a race.

Anyhow I've got quite a lot to do today. I can't even think of half of it off the back of my head. All I know is alot of it is work related.

Have a good day everyone
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 14th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    So today has been a busy day and I am glad it's over so I can relax. After I got home from work, I sat in the garden watching the boy and my mum playing tennis. The boy kept mimicking the sounds the players make in Wimbledon . Lots of giggling there.

I then made homemade chicken strips and chips for tea. It was lovely. The boy actually prefers these to shop bought chicken nuggets. Usually I make up a big batch and freeze some into portions for future quick meals. They freeze quite well.

Tomorrow the boy has yet another party to attend- its a nerf gun party. It sounds pretty fun! I'll probably just put money in a card again for the birthday child. I think it's much easier.

I have decided I am going to take the plunge tomorrow and stop smoking. It's costing me too much and it's no good for my health. I just need to convince myself that I can do it. Although I know I can, I need to be disciplined enough to do it. Once I tackle this, I will concentrate on trying to lose some weight.

Have a good evening everyone.
    Check out my Diary
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,284Posts Today

7,781Users online

Martin's Twitter