Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Starlet
    • By Starlet 13th May 17, 7:05 AM
    • 130Posts
    • 56Thanks
    Starlet
    Cheap-ish (but comfortable) over-ear headphones - For wearing 7hours a day at work
    • 13th May 17, 7:05 AM
    Cheap-ish (but comfortable) over-ear headphones - For wearing 7hours a day at work 13th May 17 at 7:05 AM
    Hello

Can anyone recommend good-quality, but cheap (i.e. ~£30[?] max.), over-ear headphones that are comfortable to wear for 7 hours a day? I will be using these at work - I sit at a desk in an open-plan office.

Background info:
    I already do wear headphones but because they are "in-ear" headphones, they are small and therefore not visible to my colleagues so it is not obvious that I am listening to music while Im working. I want people to know that I am wearing headphones. This is an issue because my work colleagues are having work-related conversations and they assume that I am listening.

Here's what Im looking for:
    • Over-ear headphone type
    • Re. the "cushions": As I plan to wear these for ~7 hours a day, would my ears
      sweat if the material is not leather?
    • Re. the "cushions": What's better? Cushions that are smaller (circular) or larger (oval-shaped)? Will my ears get squashed if the cushions are smaller? I really dont know.
    • I want to to buy from a common High Street shop (e.g. Argos, PCWorld); I dont want to buy it from an obscure online shop.

Please help

Thank you!
    Last edited by Starlet; 13-05-2017 at 7:09 AM.
Page 1
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 13th May 17, 10:04 AM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 3,622 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 13th May 17, 10:04 AM
    • 13th May 17, 10:04 AM
    If you need/would like to hear whats going on around you whilst still listening to whatever you are, these are very good.

https://aftershokz.co.uk/

You can have wired or wireless.

We use them for running and they are very comfortable and work brilliantly, allowing us to have a distraction from the pain and suffering we are inflicting on ourselves whilst still keeping us safe and aware of our surroundings.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 13th May 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 2,984 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 13th May 17, 11:41 AM
    • 13th May 17, 11:41 AM
    Surely it would just be easier to tell your colleagues when you are putting your earphones in?
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 13th May 17, 12:04 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 4,613 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 13th May 17, 12:04 PM
    • 13th May 17, 12:04 PM
    Does the wearing of headphones fit with a safe system of work. How would you be aware of audible warning alarms, are management relaxed about this idea?
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 13th May 17, 1:21 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 5,109 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 13th May 17, 1:21 PM
    • 13th May 17, 1:21 PM
    Wouldn't this be better in the "I want to do it/ buy it" board?

Have to agree with the but about h&s though - also I would find it extremely weird if I was in an open plan office & a colleague did this for no apparent reason.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • tiger eyes
    • By tiger eyes 13th May 17, 1:44 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    tiger eyes
    • 13th May 17, 1:44 PM
    • 13th May 17, 1:44 PM
    I use Sennheiser HD201 headphones. They're cheap, robust, and comfortable enough to wear all day long.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 13th May 17, 2:08 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,733 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 13th May 17, 2:08 PM
    • 13th May 17, 2:08 PM

Have to agree with the but about h&s though - also I would find it extremely weird if I was in an open plan office & a colleague did this for no apparent reason.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Perhaps they have difficulty with sensory overload?

Perhaps the reason is none of your business?
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 13th May 17, 3:50 PM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 13th May 17, 3:50 PM
    • 13th May 17, 3:50 PM

Most fire alarms are going to be loud enough for you to hear even with headphones on, OP has control over volume, H&S is not an issue, we can also assume he is not blind and not able to see everyone else vacating the building.

From my experience, the reason for me using earphones was to listen to music, cant be that difficult to figure out. If you find that weird then stuff that goes on in many workplaces would leave you with seriously high blood pressure.

OP get the sennheiser mentioned above, they are good and soft (I have them) but i always used normal earphones at work
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 13th May 17, 4:08 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 5,109 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 13th May 17, 4:08 PM
    • 13th May 17, 4:08 PM
    Perhaps they have difficulty with sensory overload?

Perhaps the reason is none of your business?
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Wow that's me told!

Most fire alarms are going to be loud enough for you to hear even with headphones on, OP has control over volume, H&S is not an issue, we can also assume he is not blind and not able to see everyone else vacating the building.

From my experience, the reason for me using earphones was to listen to music, cant be that difficult to figure out. If you find that weird then stuff that goes on in many workplaces would leave you with seriously high blood pressure.

OP get the sennheiser mentioned above, they are good and soft (I have them) but i always used normal earphones at work
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    I don't find listening to music weird - though my preference of listening to radio 4 might be!

I know one girl was asked not to use earphones one place I worked and the guys in the workshop were expressly told they couldn't.

I do use earphones occasionally in the office I'm in now and tbh find it a pain as I never know when people are talking to me (rather than around me) and when the phone rings
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 13th May 17, 4:16 PM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    Wow that's me told!

I don't find listening to music weird - though my preference of listening to radio 4 might be!

I know one girl was asked not to use earphones one place I worked and the guys in the workshop were expressly told they couldn't.

I do use earphones occasionally in the office I'm in now and tbh find it a pain as I never know when people are talking to me (rather than around me) and when the phone rings
    some places allow it, some dont, just depends on the business. at my current place, its very cooperate, headphones are not allowed though you can wear them if you stay in the office during break.

music put me in my zone and allowed me to work better, time also flew and i didnt have to listen to too much nonsense.
    • dickydonkin
    • By dickydonkin 13th May 17, 4:36 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    dickydonkin
    I have to state that I am very surprised that wearing ear/headphones in an office environment is permitted.

Certainly in the workplaces I have worked, this would certainly not be allowed.

Although many will disagree, I think it looks unprofessional and safety issues aside, is hardly conducive for effective communication between colleagues.

I suppose if it works for the OP's business and does not cause problems, then fine.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 13th May 17, 5:29 PM
    • 974 Posts
    • 1,572 Thanks
    coffeehound
    I have to state that I am very surprised that wearing ear/headphones in an office environment is permitted.

Although many will disagree, I think it looks unprofessional and safety issues aside, is hardly conducive for effective communication between colleagues.

I suppose if it works for the OP's business and does not cause problems, then fine.
    Originally posted by dickydonkin
    Workplace culture varies widely on things like this. Also it will depend on the individual's role whether they need to be open to immediate conversation with colleagues or clients. Over-ear 'phones would probably overstep the line in offices I've worked in, but plenty of people wear in-ear buds when they are in do-not-disturb mode.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 13th May 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    xapprenticex

Originally posted by dickydonkin
    'Looks' is only an issue if you are customer facing, if not then productivity rules (always exceptions though).
    Last edited by xapprenticex; 13-05-2017 at 6:56 PM.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 13th May 17, 8:08 PM
    • 2,805 Posts
    • 4,480 Thanks
    avogadro
    Sennheiser are a good make, the sound quality is superb. Most quality hi-fi and music stores would be able to sell you a pair.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 13th May 17, 8:20 PM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    Finding a pair is easy, getting it at the best price requires amazon. you could try ebay but you may get a fake.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 13th May 17, 8:51 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Cant go wrong with Sennheiser. Mine have lasted 4 years and still going.

Ebay have plenty of discontinued models that will be in our budget.
    • Pound
    • By Pound 13th May 17, 8:54 PM
    • 2,607 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    Pound
    I think this sums up my thoughts on headphones at work. In short I think have one ear bud in only, interaction is important.

http://www.hcamag.com/hr-news/wearing-headphones-at-work-time-for-hr-to-stepin-147803.aspx

• Lavendyr
    • By Lavendyr 14th May 17, 9:56 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 1,830 Thanks
    Lavendyr
    Beyerdynamic DT 231 Headphone - very light and comy and surprisingly good sound for £30.
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 18th May 17, 10:00 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    I don't like wearing headphones in the office but just about everyone else around me does. The best ones have velour covered earpieces - Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic both have models with velour earpieces and I like the Beyerdynamic DT250's that I use at home (although they are a bit above your price range).
    • dickydonkin
    • By dickydonkin 19th May 17, 11:36 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    dickydonkin
    'Looks' is only an issue if you are customer facing, if not then productivity rules (always exceptions though).
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    I have to disagree.

Productivity is secondary to safety (no exceptions)and certainly does not rule...although perhaps it does in the eyes of the employer.

I had to deal with a staff member who wore earphones when driving a fork lift truck....that is a big no in my opinion.

Some may have the opinion of health and safety gone mad.....but try telling that to the warehouse worker being crushed by a fork truck while the driver is totally oblivious to what is going on around him.

I agree to some extent that background music in a workplace is conducive to a more pleasant environment (provided everyone is content with it)' but listening to music through personal earphones while operating work equipment is not acceptable.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,050Posts Today

7,563Users online

Martin's Twitter