Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 13th May 17, 6:29 AM
    • 103Posts
    • 34Thanks
    samsam89
    How long on average for offers
    • 13th May 17, 6:29 AM
    How long on average for offers 13th May 17 at 6:29 AM
    Morning MSE.

We put our house on the market this week! Have had two viewings so far (one cancelled as their buyer fell through and didn't want to waste our time). Another one booked in for today.

It got me thinking, how long on average would you expect to wait for offers? After 10, 20 viewing?

Would the particulars of our property make you want to view it if you were in the market for something like that? (do you think picture and description are enticing enough?)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48318855.html
Page 3
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th May 17, 12:20 PM
    • 4,543 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    OP ignore Crashy he is frequently branded on MSE by various posters as a fool that for years and years has been saying house prices are about to crash......whilst in 5 years many areas have gone up by 30-40%!
    Avoid even reading anything this troll has to say.

Crashy by all the posts you constantly do - I bet you wish you had bought many years ago then you wouldn't be on here trolling every 5 minutes. Do everyone a favour and bore off in your rented place paying off someone else's mortgage!
    Originally posted by Mickygg

Didn`t you just buy, AND put me on "ignore"... As I have said many times it doesn`t end when you buy into a property bubble, you have to then convince others to do the same for real peace of mind
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th May 17, 12:26 PM
    • 4,543 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    He drags discussions off topic on a daily basis and has no respect for the subject, for getting the OP helpful answers, or for listening to anyone's advice. He doesn't give advice and regularly tells lies on the forum, evades questions and he's very aware of it too! He's not rude to people, but absolutely hinders a lot of chat on here. It's a real shame. I'm sure he's got potential. But how can someone with no house buying/selling experience offer advice on the house buying/selling forum every single day?
    Originally posted by glasgowdan

How would you know if someone on an internet forum was lying, if you didn`t know them in real life? Surely you are not denying that low interest rates are the only thing keeping UK property prices from correcting, or that buyers have disappeared from the market? Thought you guys were paid to know this stuff?
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 16th May 17, 4:22 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    How would you know if someone on an internet forum was lying, if you didn`t know them in real life? Surely you are not denying that low interest rates are the only thing keeping UK property prices from correcting, or that buyers have disappeared from the market? Thought you guys were paid to know this stuff?
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    You're showing how little you know about real life property markets. Stop reading the HPC times.

I don't know if this link works, but it's a search of properties between 170k and 450k in my county. I have ticked 'show under offer/stc'. Note how many of them are being bought after 1-4 weeks of being on the market.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E61463&minBed rooms=3&maxPrice=450000&minPrice=170000&sortType=6 &index=24&propertyTypes=bungalow%2Cdetached%2Cs emi-detached&includeSSTC=true&dontShow=newHome%2Cshare dOwnership

Have you any evidence that buyers have disappeared from the market? If not...then it's an example of one of your forum lies. An optimistic opinion of yours that's being expressed as a fact. Do stop and think before you type, it's going to take a hell of a lot of work on your part to regain any confidence from fellow forum members!
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 16th May 17, 4:59 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    samsam89
    Just to say. 2 more viewings booked in today. Only managed to gain one bit of feedback so far and that it was a perfect house but that the viewers current furniture wouldn't fit right in the second bedroom and that he has a large work van that he didn't think he would be able to get on the drive too easily along with his car. Feel like those things are personal to them and leaves me feeling positive that he thought the house was otherwise perfect as it's got to suit someone eventually. Or my EA could just be trying to make me feel better
    Last edited by samsam89; 16-05-2017 at 5:08 PM.
    • chile_paul
    • By chile_paul 16th May 17, 6:14 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    chile_paul
    Looks like a really nice property. Spending £30 on some pot plants to go near the front door / hide what looks like slight dodgy path up to the front door probably wouldn't go amiss
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 16th May 17, 6:57 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    samsam89
    Looks like a really nice property. Spending £30 on some pot plants to go near the front door / hide what looks like slight dodgy path up to the front door probably wouldn't go amiss
    Originally posted by chile_paul
    Thank you! The pathway to the door really isn't that dodgy, though you're not the first to mention that! We had some nice pot plants at the front door, but due to my ineptness at gardening, they died
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 17th May 17, 7:20 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    samsam89
    Had another viewing today and another booked in for tomorrow. The one today is extremely keen and is going to book in a second viewing with his father (a builder). His father told him to ask 3 questions:

1. Is it a suspended floor? Something to do with slats?

I have no idea on the answer...

2. Does it have any new build guarantees?

We weren't aware of any, but I have been told all new builds have some form of workmanship guarantee?

3. Does it have any Japanese knotweed?

We already told EA there was none but they still wanted us to answer again.

Bizarre questions or just me?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 17th May 17, 7:45 PM
    • 5,621 Posts
    • 5,388 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Had another viewing today and another booked in for tomorrow. The one today is extremely keen and is going to book in a second viewing with his father (a builder). His father told him to ask 3 questions:

1. Is it a suspended floor? Something to do with slats?

I have no idea on the answer...
    Originally posted by samsam89
    Then say so. And ask the so-called builder why the hell he can't figure it out himself....

2. Does it have any new build guarantees?

We weren't aware of any, but I have been told all new builds have some form of workmanship guarantee?
    They generally come with 10 year guarantees. Is it less than 10 years old? If not then the question's irrelevant.

3. Does it have any Japanese knotweed?

We already told EA there was none but they still wanted us to answer again.
    Then answer again. They should be looking for it themselves rather than relying on your horticultural expertise anyway.
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 17th May 17, 8:07 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    samsam89
    Then say so. And ask the so-called builder why the hell he can't figure it out himself....

They generally come with 10 year guarantees. Is it less than 10 years old? If not then the question's irrelevant.

Then answer again. They should be looking for it themselves rather than relying on your horticultural expertise anyway.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Many thanks! I told the EA exactly what I put above. Have no idea what on earth he wants to know about the floor for. House was built 2-3 years ago.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 17th May 17, 8:12 PM
    • 5,621 Posts
    • 5,388 Thanks
    davidmcn
    House was built 2-3 years ago.
    Ok, then you ought to have a guarantee. NHBC is the most common one. Check your paperwork from the purchase, it's probably mentioned there. If not then it'll have been stuffed away with the titles at your lender or your solicitors.
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 22nd May 17, 11:37 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    samsam89
    First offer is in at £180,000. Have cash buyers viewing on Wednesday, is it best to hold off on their offer and wait to see what the cash buyers are like or reject offer straight away?
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 22nd May 17, 11:48 AM
    • 3,494 Posts
    • 11,498 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I would be honest and say you provisionally accept their offer, but that you do have a cash buyer lined up for Weds and if they offer more you'll take it. Be sure to get back to them promptly either way on Weds.

I live in a 2 bed terrace from the 1930s and the difference in space with modern houses is astounding; I have two sensible sized bedrooms (one with a built in wardrobe, the other with a large built-in cupboard), two extremely useful cupboards under the stairs, and a decent sized kitchen and bathroom. Plus the possibility of extending into the generous garden and/or loft. The open plan arrangements in this house fill me with horror, but it is very well presented (nice furniture and not cluttered) so I guess some buyers appreciate that.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 22nd May 17, 11:55 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    samsam89
    I would be honest and say you provisionally accept their offer, but that you do have a cash buyer lined up for Weds and if they offer more you'll take it. Be sure to get back to them promptly either way on Weds.

I live in a 2 bed terrace from the 1930s and the difference in space with modern houses is astounding; I have two sensible sized bedrooms (one with a built in wardrobe, the other with a large built-in cupboard), two extremely useful cupboards under the stairs, and a decent sized kitchen and bathroom. Plus the possibility of extending into the generous garden and/or loft. The open plan arrangements in this house fill me with horror, but it is very well presented (nice furniture and not cluttered) so I guess some buyers appreciate that.
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    Given that it is the first offer, I'm tempted to reject and say that they'll need to get closer to the asking price. Was thinking of putting it to them that we have cash buyer on Wednesday viewing and that if they really want the house they'll have to go closer to asking price.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 22nd May 17, 2:39 PM
    • 2,667 Posts
    • 3,642 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Find out what type of cash buyer. A real cash buyer or what I call a pretend cash buyer. A real cash buyer has the money in the bank now ready to pay you. A pretend cash buyer has to get the cash by selling a house first. The difference is between no chain and a chain. If there is a chain then the cash buyers are not going to be any quicker perhaps than the offer you have got now.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 22nd May 17, 2:41 PM
    • 4,543 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Given that it is the first offer, I'm tempted to reject and say that they'll need to get closer to the asking price. Was thinking of putting it to them that we have cash buyer on Wednesday viewing and that if they really want the house they'll have to go closer to asking price.

What was the asking price?
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 22nd May 17, 2:45 PM
    • 2,997 Posts
    • 3,633 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    120k tops.
    Let`s face it, all the links you show are from kite flyers, the last one has been kicking around unsold for a while I think?
    Save yourself a lot of stress, just accept that you are not owed a 42k "bonus" from property just for holding it a couple of years (not anymore) and put it on the market at a starting price of 150k, and be prepared to cut a bit. Just my tuppence worth.

So Crashy went from £120k, to £150k but be prepered to cut it, to the OP getting a £180k offer, with more viewings on the way, within a week...

All quoted for posterity. For the next time Crashy "predicts the crash".

Good luck OP.
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 22nd May 17, 2:52 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    samsam89
    What was the asking price?
    £190k.

EA has rejected and interested party suggested £182,500. EA said that they'd need to meet us half way really so he has gone to speak to his mum and dad to see what he can do.

We're hoping for between 185 and 190 so he's not far off but didn't want to name a price incase he could go higher.
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 22nd May 17, 4:36 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    samsam89
    £185,000 offered. EA advised accepting out of fear we would lose buyer. I told them we would accept £185,000 on the basis that we have the viewing on Wednesday. Also said if they wanted the viewing cancelled then I'd want slightly more than £185,000 as that was bare minimum we said we would consider. Have a feeling I'm going to be told where to go, have I been too cheeky?
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 22nd May 17, 5:15 PM
    • 2,997 Posts
    • 3,633 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    £185,000 offered. EA advised accepting out of fear we would lose buyer. I told them we would accept £185,000 on the basis that we have the viewing on Wednesday. Also said if they wanted the viewing cancelled then I'd want slightly more than £185,000 as that was bare minimum we said we would consider. Have a feeling I'm going to be told where to go, have I been too cheeky?
    IMO, yes.

you might gain £1k but you might lose the buyer, even if you keep them, they wont want to do you any favours, all goodwill is gone.
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 22nd May 17, 5:32 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    samsam89
    Well I suppose they can just come back and say £185,000 and no viewing or they walk and we can think about it then. They know we are in no rush to sell and there has been a lot of interest. It wasn't phrased as above, simply said we wanted asking price and that as offer was below that we would accept but allow one final viewing to take place as already booked in. We'll soon find out if it's too cheeky or not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,559Posts Today

8,590Users online

Martin's Twitter