Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • d123
    • By d123 12th May 17, 8:46 PM
    • 6,744Posts
    • 4,302Thanks
    d123
    Talkmobile PAYG closing down
    • 12th May 17, 8:46 PM
    Talkmobile PAYG closing down 12th May 17 at 8:46 PM
    Talkmobile are closing down the PAYG side of the business wef 31/08.

The Talkmobile Pay As You Go service will be closing down and will be unavailable to use from the 31st August.

Important dates

You won’t be able to top-up from the 30th June so please make sure you have enough credit to last until you start with your new provider.

All credit needs to be used by 31st August.

There will be no service, including calls to the emergency services from the 31st August.

If you like your current network experience and want all the benefits of 4G and data rollover, Vodafone are offering Talkmobile customers their first top up completely free. They're also giving away a free gift of two Costa coffee e-vouchers to anyone still topping up in three months. To claim this exclusive offer, please follow the instructions below:

Go to www.freesim.vodafone.co.uk/talkmobile and enter your unique voucher code which has been sent to you via SMS. If you have misplaced your code or don’t think you’ve received it, please call 0333 304 8064 or 5888 from your Talkmobile handset.

Follow the instructions on the Vodafone page to order your new SIM. It will come pre-loaded with your free top up and ready for you to start using. If you’d prefer to order your SIM over the phone, please contact us on the above contact number and an agent will be happy to help you.
    Should you wish to move to a provider other than Vodafone you will need to use all your remaining credit and top-up vouchers by 31st August.
    https://talkmobile.co.uk/payg/closure
    ====
Page 5
    • gwapenut
    • By gwapenut 28th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    gwapenut
    Has anyone taken up the new vodafone sim yet? What is the nature of the offer ... comes with a £10 bundle, or comes with £10 that does not need to be used on a bundle?
    • MKUserName
    • By MKUserName 28th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    MKUserName
    Using Resolver appears to have worked!
    Today I escalated my case to Talkmobile and received this reply:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We are confirming that the process of refunding the remaining credit with cheques was approved recently based on the feedback we received from our customers regarding this matter as we always seek our customers satisfaction.
    Therefore, the information you received from our agents were accurate at that time.
    We are confirming that we have arranged for any credit remaining on your accounts at the moment to be refunded back to you by cheque sent to the registered addresses on the accounts.
    Keeping your number:
    We will automatically supply you with a PAC code to keep your number when transferring to Vodafone or any alternative provider. If you haven’t received the code you can call 5888 to request a PAC and our advisors will provide you with one.
    Your PAC code is only valid for 30 days. If you don't use it within this time frame your number will be lost.
    If you need any further Info please log in to our Website <<link removed from post>> or you can call our Customer Services on 5888 for free from any Talkmobile number or on 03333048064 from your land line, and one of our advisers will be happy to help you.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I haven't received any other communications from Talkmobile so wouldn't have known they were refunding if I hadn't been using Resolver to complain. Won't hold my breath though - I've got a feeling it might not be "case closed" just yet. I'm switching to Three PAYG. Much cheaper anyway.
    • MKUserName
    • By MKUserName 28th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    MKUserName
    Chocolate teapot springs to mind.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    See my post (28 June). Talkmobile now claim to be refunding "based on the feedback we received from our customers".
    • MKUserName
    • By MKUserName 28th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    MKUserName
    Need to call 5888 to request refund
    Thought I would call 5888 to check if refund story was true, as Talkmobile website doesn't mention it. They confirmed they were refunding but said it wasn't automatic. You need to call 5888 and request a refund. Can also request a PAC at the same time.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 28th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Nothing about Resolver changes in my mind and experiance of using thier service. But and I quote you:

"We are confirming that the process of refunding the remaining credit with cheques was approved recently based on the feedback we received from our customers regarding this matter as we always seek our customers satisfaction."

So how may actions caused the turn around? Customers or Resolver, I expect the former would have been the majority in this instance .
    • MKUserName
    • By MKUserName 28th Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    MKUserName
    Nothing about Resolver changes in my mind and experiance of using thier service. But and I quote you:

"We are confirming that the process of refunding the remaining credit with cheques was approved recently based on the feedback we received from our customers regarding this matter as we always seek our customers satisfaction."

So how may actions caused the turn around? Customers or Resolver, I expect the former would have been the majority in this instance .
    Customers and Resolver aren't mutually exclusive. The Customers that caused Talkmobile to change their policy will have used different methods to give their feedback. All I'm saying is that Resolver is the tool that this customer used to get a result. Phone calls and direct emails failed for me. It's the first time I've used Resolver and I'm sharing the info on this Forum so that other people can try it if they're not getting anywhere with other methods. Now that Talkmobile have changed their minds (although they don't seem to tell anyone until they ask) it shouldn't be necessary to use Resolver - just call 5888.
    • Mister_K
    • By Mister_K 4th Jul 17, 11:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Mister_K
    Result!
    I'd possibly start by asking them to refer you to the clause in their terms and conditions which were in place at the time you topped up, which they think allows them to legally do this. If they cannot do so, I'd then initiate the formal complaints process which would ultimately involve the regulator.
    As I took great exception to my unused credit being retained (aka stolen) by TalkMobile I followed gwapenut’s suggestion and called them to ask where in their terms and conditions it said they could do it. Unsurprisingly they could not answer but were keen to tell me that they did not do refunds and that it was possible to switch to an “attractive” alternative PAYG with Vodafone. I was still unhappy so sent an email, clearly headed “Complaint” in the subject, asking again for a refund, pointing out that their “attractive” alternative in fact has one of the most expensive call rates in the market and again asking where in their terms and conditions it says they can retain the unused PAYG credit. Two weeks later and with no reply, I took ask66’s advice and copied the original email to Nick Jeffery. In exactly the same manner a reply appeared next day including the following almost identical response:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please be advised that any credit remaining on the Accounts will be refunded by cheque.

We are confirming that the process of refunding the remaining credit with cheques was approved recently based on the feedback we received from our customers regarding this matter as we always seek our customers satisfaction.

Therefore, the information you received from our agents were accurate at that time.

We seek your assistance in confirming the address that is registered on the account to be able to arrange for the any remaining credit refunded back to you by a cheque sent to the address.
    Also, please confirm the remaining amount you have on the account at the moment and if you would like us to arrange for your PAC code to be sent to you by email to transfer your number to any other provider.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unhelpfully the email came from a “do not reply” address but on calling them they have agreed to send a cheque which was “guaranteed to arrive within 48 hours”. I don’t know why they needed to confirm the amount as they were able to tell me this without asking. Sadly no £10 gesture of goodwill that ask66 was given but a satisfactory outcome. However, I doubt that I would have got anything if I had not called and it is disgraceful that payments are not being automatically made to everyone affected.

I have requested a PAC code and will be switching to TalkTalk Essential SIM which gives 200 minutes, unlimited texts and 500Mb data per month at no additional cost for broadband customers.
    • wittynamegoeshere
    • By wittynamegoeshere 6th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    wittynamegoeshere
    I also have a talktalk free SIM. Just be aware that it's very expensive if you go beyond the free allowance. I use mine in a dual SIM phone, so I can use the other one if I get up to the free limit.
    • scepticOfCheltenham
    • By scepticOfCheltenham 12th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    scepticOfCheltenham
    No Big Bundle?
    It seems I need to put a Vodafone SIM in my phone before I can get an unlock code from Vodafone.
    So I have now got the free SIM, but it says there is no credit on it and no minutes, texts or data either.
    Has anyone managed to get any free calls on their new Vodafone SIM?
    Doea anyone know what other hoops I need to jump through before the voucher code activates (if it ever does)?
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    • 5,744 Posts
    • 7,786 Thanks
    Farway
    It seems I need to put a Vodafone SIM in my phone before I can get an unlock code from Vodafone.
    So I have now got the free SIM, but it says there is no credit on it and no minutes, texts or data either.
    Has anyone managed to get any free calls on their new Vodafone SIM?
    Doea anyone know what other hoops I need to jump through before the voucher code activates (if it ever does)?
    Originally posted by scepticOfCheltenham
    I "think" you / ww need the replacement Voda sim free from Talkmobile which comes preloade with a tenner, once Talkmobile start sending them out that is

I am not holding my breath because I have not yet even had the text from Talkmobile and only know about it from MSE forums
    • scepticOfCheltenham
    • By scepticOfCheltenham 13th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    scepticOfCheltenham
    I already got the SIM via the website in the SMS from Talkmobile. It must have accepted the code, because if I try again it says the code has already been used. But there is no credit on the phone, no calltime, texts or data, just a SIM that I can top up if I am silly enough to want to pay Vodafone's exorbitant PAYG rates. No sign of any £10 credit or bundle having been applied to the SIM.

That's why I wondered if anyone had actually received the credit. I guess not.
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 13th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Atasas
    Ordered Via TalkM
    got this
    • MKUserName
    • By MKUserName 22nd Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    MKUserName
    Refund received!
    I got my refund cheque in the post yesterday. Talkmobile are still keeping the refund option a secret - it's still not offered on their website. Phone 5888 to request it.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 27th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Just phoned for my code to transfer to VF as I did not receive an SMS with it, also asked for a refund to be told they wont refund credit balances less than £5.
    • MKUserName
    • By MKUserName 27th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    MKUserName
    Good luck!
    Just phoned for my code to transfer to VF as I did not receive an SMS with it, also asked for a refund to be told they wont refund credit balances less than £5.
    My refund was just over £5 so I was lucky. Talkmobile have obviously had time to think of a new excuse to hold on to some money, hoping that people owed less than £5 won't bother to pester them. My cheque was hand written dated 3 July. The covering letter was dated 18 July so they are taking their time over the whole refund process. My husband's still waiting for his £14+ refund "due to an unforeseen number of refund requests". Good luck if you persist. You could always try Resolver!
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 28th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    My refund was just over £5 so I was lucky. Talkmobile have obviously had time to think of a new excuse to hold on to some money, hoping that people owed less than £5 won't bother to pester them. My cheque was hand written dated 3 July. The covering letter was dated 18 July so they are taking their time over the whole refund process. My husband's still waiting for his £14+ refund "due to an unforeseen number of refund requests". Good luck if you persist. You could always try Resolver!
    Originally posted by MKUserName
    I hope that is a joke, just like Resolver is.

I'll donate as much as I can of my credit to charity, wont let Vodafone or TM keep it.
    • MKUserName
    • By MKUserName 28th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    MKUserName
    I hope that is a joke, just like Resolver is.

I'll donate as much as I can of my credit to charity, wont let Vodafone or TM keep it.
    No - wasn't a joke. Forgot you were the Resolver sceptic. I can only comment on personal experience with Resolver. I've used it once and it worked so 100% record isn't bad. Let other people decide for themselves. Nothing more to say about it.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 28th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    No - wasn't a joke. Forgot you were the Resolver sceptic. I can only comment on personal experience with Resolver. I've used it once and it worked so 100% record isn't bad. Let other people decide for themselves. Nothing more to say about it.
    Originally posted by MKUserName
    Not a sceptic but a user who found them to be totally useless.
    • Mister_K
    • By Mister_K 30th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Mister_K
    I too had a balance less than £5. I have been assured that "our concerned team has arranged for a cheque to be sent to the below mentioned address in your email on 5th of July. Please note that you will receive the cheque after 10 working days from 5/7/2017". Despite two further assurances since, I'm still waiting and beginning to wonder if it ever will arrive. They declined my request for compensation for exceeding the 10 days and failed to respond when I asked what was the point of having a service level if breaching it had no consequences.
    • Billy Boy
    • By Billy Boy 30th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Billy Boy
    I'm still waiting and beginning to wonder if it ever will arrive.
    I am in a similar position with two accounts I had. They were very quick to reduce the credit balance to zero but not as quick to send the cheques.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,740Posts Today

6,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin