Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • d123
    • By d123 12th May 17, 8:46 PM
    • 6,746Posts
    • 4,303Thanks
    d123
    Talkmobile PAYG closing down
    • 12th May 17, 8:46 PM
    Talkmobile PAYG closing down 12th May 17 at 8:46 PM
    Talkmobile are closing down the PAYG side of the business wef 31/08.

The Talkmobile Pay As You Go service will be closing down and will be unavailable to use from the 31st August.

Important dates

You won’t be able to top-up from the 30th June so please make sure you have enough credit to last until you start with your new provider.

All credit needs to be used by 31st August.

There will be no service, including calls to the emergency services from the 31st August.

If you like your current network experience and want all the benefits of 4G and data rollover, Vodafone are offering Talkmobile customers their first top up completely free. They're also giving away a free gift of two Costa coffee e-vouchers to anyone still topping up in three months. To claim this exclusive offer, please follow the instructions below:

Go to www.freesim.vodafone.co.uk/talkmobile and enter your unique voucher code which has been sent to you via SMS. If you have misplaced your code or don’t think you’ve received it, please call 0333 304 8064 or 5888 from your Talkmobile handset.

Follow the instructions on the Vodafone page to order your new SIM. It will come pre-loaded with your free top up and ready for you to start using. If you’d prefer to order your SIM over the phone, please contact us on the above contact number and an agent will be happy to help you.
    Should you wish to move to a provider other than Vodafone you will need to use all your remaining credit and top-up vouchers by 31st August.
    https://talkmobile.co.uk/payg/closure
    ====
Page 3
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 30th May 17, 7:07 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    My thinking was that if I took out a contract before the cut off date for payg ending, it might be ok.
    • d123
    • By d123 30th May 17, 8:19 PM
    • 6,746 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    d123
    My thinking was that if I took out a contract before the cut off date for payg ending, it might be ok.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    You could try, but they appear to have removed the facility to order anything on the website. If you click on sim only or any handset it says "Order now by calling 03333048064".

I wonder if that's a way to cross sell to Vodafone.
    ====
    • miller
    • By miller 8th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    miller
    I was on a contract with Talkmobile. When Vodafone acquired the business there were some tweaks to the existing Talkmobile billing system at the time. My free minutes/data refresh date got moved unilaterally without notification and they charged me 1p less per month!

I assume Vodafone want people in as "new customers" rather than merging legacy systems. That approach probably reduces the chance for something to go wrong, but a clean break is needed with the old systems hence the stitch up of PAYG customers.

I got stictched up a long time ago with an old rechargable calling card where the operator confiscated my credit without notification (I only found out when I tried to use the card). Nothing in the T&Cs allowed for it, but fortunately it was only a few quid. Still leaves a bitter taste though.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 9th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    I've got Talkmobile PAYG with about £8 credit left. Does anyone know if I could convert this to a Vodafone pay monthly, and retain the credit?
    • BernardUK
    • By BernardUK 9th Jun 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BernardUK
    A couple of posters here rightly consider losing credit with Talkmobile is just theft. I topped up my PAYG with £20 quite recently and currently have £29 credit. Their reply to my email to help@talkmobile.co.uk requesting a refund says:

Please be advised that we don't do refunds in regards to credit on the Accounts, however you can either use the credit till the 31st August, or if you have more than 50 pounds credit, it can be transferred to your Account with Vodafone if you chose to port out to Vodafone.
    In the context of sincerely not wanting to move to Vodafone, how can my consumer rights to my own credit be protected? Does Ofcom not have rules about this? What does Martin say?
    Last edited by BernardUK; 09-06-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: quotation mis-copied
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 7,802 Thanks
    Farway
    When Asda and some others closed a service there was an option of giving the credit ot a charity, maybe this can happen if enough fuss?
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 9th Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    There are several adverts on TV for charities where you can text them a few pounds donation if you wish.
    • d123
    • By d123 9th Jun 17, 4:46 PM
    • 6,746 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    d123
    Cancer Research

£3
    MOORE to 70200 (closes on 31st July 2018)

£5
    BOBBY to 70200 (closes on 31st June 2018)
    GIVE to 70200 (closes 31st December 2017)

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/terms-and-conditions/text-to-donate#newtexttodonate1

Mind
    Text GIVE to 82772 to give £5

https://www.mind.org.uk/get-involved/giving-to-mind/other-ways-to-give/text-giving/

Plenty of other opttions if you search Google.
    ====
    • Castle
    • By Castle 9th Jun 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,703 Thanks
    Castle
    When Asda and some others closed a service there was an option of giving the credit ot a charity, maybe this can happen if enough fuss?
    Originally posted by Farway
    When "Mobile by Sainsbury's" closed down, they offered a refund by cheque for any credits left.
    • gwapenut
    • By gwapenut 10th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    gwapenut
    Please be advised that we don't do refunds in regards to credit on the Accounts, however you can either use the credit till the 31st August, or if you have more than 50 pounds credit, it can be transferred to your Account with Vodafone if you chose to port out to Vodafone
    I'd possibly start by asking them to refer you to the clause in their terms and conditions which were in place at the time you topped up, which they think allows them to legally do this. If they cannot do so, I'd then initiate the formal complaints process which would ultimately involve the regulator.

Alternatively, is a chargeback to the credit/debit card used to top up, an option - that was used when Ovivo went bust. TM aren't going bust, but this is almost more serious because it's possibly verging on fraud IMO - they must surely have known when you topped up that these plans were in place, but took your money anyway knowing that they might decide to stop providing the service you were paying for. I'm no lawyer and am probably wrong, but it's the same ballpark of dishonesty as far as I am concerned.

Confiscating up to £49 credit is really quite serious arrogance.

How about pointing the financial mail (thisismoney) towards the response you received and pointing out that it could be £49 stolen from some customers? It's the kind of story they'd love.
    Last edited by gwapenut; 10-06-2017 at 7:37 AM.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 10th Jun 17, 8:21 AM
    • 7,514 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Is it possible to still top up? If so, top up to the £50 mark and problem solved.
    • gwapenut
    • By gwapenut 11th Jun 17, 7:38 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    gwapenut
    Have you seen voda's PAYG rates? I think that's called throwing good money after bad! Unless you have £50 worth of google play or PSN that you want to buy via carrier billing ...!
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 11th Jun 17, 11:25 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Is it worth moving to Lebara Mobile, or are they likely to close down too?

It seems Vodafone want to stop mvno's on their network.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 11th Jun 17, 11:27 AM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 3,584 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    Is it worth moving to Lebara Mobile, or are they likely to close down too? .
    Any of these type of networks can close so it's hard to judge
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 11th Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    • 2,975 Posts
    • 1,309 Thanks
    eDicky
    Lebara is one of the original MVNOs, been going strong for many years in various countries, but prices are not attractive.

Lyca Mobile (on O2) is similarly long-standing in several countries and has recently introduced some quite attractive 30-day bundles:

http://www.lycamobile.co.uk/en/
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 11th Jun 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Lebara is one of the original MVNOs, been going strong for many years in various countries, but prices are not attractive.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Unfortunately, I'm stuck because the Vodafone network is the only one that gets a good signal. Lebara's prices are high, but Vodafone's are even worse and I can't imagine any company having worse customer service than them.
    • Patrick Stewart
    • By Patrick Stewart 12th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Patrick Stewart

Lyca Mobile (on O2) is similarly long-standing in several countries and has recently introduced some quite attractive 30-day bundles:
    Originally posted by eDicky

Be careful with Lycamobile ! they have numbers which get charged very highly when people try to call you on them.
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Jun 17, 7:18 PM
    • 6,746 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    d123
    Be careful with Lycamobile ! they have numbers which get charged very highly when people try to call you on them.
    Originally posted by Patrick Stewart
    Do you have a link?

I'm pretty sure that was resolved back when EE were still called T-Mobile (the disagreement was between T-Mobile and Lyca).
    ====
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th Jun 17, 5:20 PM
    • 7,723 Posts
    • 5,587 Thanks
    pmduk

It seems Vodafone want to stop mvno's on their network.
    Talkmobile isn't an MVNO now, but a brand owned by Vodafone. You're right in that Vodafone have few MVNO's using their platform and I suspect they have no interest in this market which is dominated by BT Mobile (through EE), though 3UK has a small presence.
    • itsj2
    • By itsj2 14th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    itsj2
    No SMS as yet
    I still haven't had the SMS from TalkMobile alerting me to all this. When I 'phoned them to query this all they said was that they are sending out 1,000 x SMS messages per day.

I need the SMS so that I will get the PAC code to enable me to transfer elsewhere. Will transfer my smallish balance to a charity.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,493Posts Today

7,468Users online

Martin's Twitter