Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • d123
    • By d123 12th May 17, 8:46 PM
    • 6,166Posts
    • 3,997Thanks
    d123
    Talkmobile PAYG closing down
    • 12th May 17, 8:46 PM
    Talkmobile PAYG closing down 12th May 17 at 8:46 PM
    Talkmobile are closing down the PAYG side of the business wef 31/08.

The Talkmobile Pay As You Go service will be closing down and will be unavailable to use from the 31st August.

Important dates

You won’t be able to top-up from the 30th June so please make sure you have enough credit to last until you start with your new provider.

All credit needs to be used by 31st August.

There will be no service, including calls to the emergency services from the 31st August.

If you like your current network experience and want all the benefits of 4G and data rollover, Vodafone are offering Talkmobile customers their first top up completely free. They're also giving away a free gift of two Costa coffee e-vouchers to anyone still topping up in three months. To claim this exclusive offer, please follow the instructions below:

Go to www.freesim.vodafone.co.uk/talkmobile and enter your unique voucher code which has been sent to you via SMS. If you have misplaced your code or don’t think you’ve received it, please call 0333 304 8064 or 5888 from your Talkmobile handset.

Follow the instructions on the Vodafone page to order your new SIM. It will come pre-loaded with your free top up and ready for you to start using. If you’d prefer to order your SIM over the phone, please contact us on the above contact number and an agent will be happy to help you.
    Should you wish to move to a provider other than Vodafone you will need to use all your remaining credit and top-up vouchers by 31st August.
    https://talkmobile.co.uk/payg/closure
    Dave
    ====
Page 1
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 13th May 17, 6:05 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    Terry98
    • 13th May 17, 6:05 AM
    • 13th May 17, 6:05 AM
    ......and no doubt Talkmobile contract customers will be transferred seamlessly to Vodafone systems and their unrivalled customer service!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 5,155 Posts
    • 5,023 Thanks
    Farway
    • 13th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 13th May 17, 3:40 PM
    Apart from Voda themselves any other options using Voda network? I have had a quick browse seems only one PAYG around, Lebara mobile any other options for a cheapo Voda locked phone user?
    • mr_mf
    • By mr_mf 13th May 17, 3:51 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mr_mf
    • 13th May 17, 3:51 PM
    • 13th May 17, 3:51 PM
    Google 'petef payg tariffs' for a good comparison site - sorry can't post the link apparently as I am a new user!

Mike
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 13th May 17, 9:26 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    • 13th May 17, 9:26 PM
    • 13th May 17, 9:26 PM
    Google 'petef payg tariffs' for a good comparison site - sorry can't post the link apparently as I am a new user!

Mike
    Originally posted by mr_mf
    I assume you mean this one....https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com/
    • mr_mf
    • By mr_mf 14th May 17, 7:40 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mr_mf
    • 14th May 17, 7:40 AM
    • 14th May 17, 7:40 AM
    Yes - thanks!
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 14th May 17, 11:30 AM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 14th May 17, 11:30 AM
    • 14th May 17, 11:30 AM
    Very interesting site with lots of useful information. It does suffer, though, from not always being up-to-date.

For example, Togglemobile calls to UK landlines and mobiles are shown as 7p and 7p per minute, last checked in January 2017. Checking at www.togglemobile.com shows that they are back to 3p and 3p.

I would love a similar comparison site for roaming but guess the logistics would be impossible.
    • gwapenut
    • By gwapenut 14th May 17, 6:58 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    gwapenut
    • 14th May 17, 6:58 PM
    • 14th May 17, 6:58 PM
    When did the SMS messages get sent out about this? I keep my phone in a drawer for occasional long calls - I did switch it on last week, but got no SMS. Not sure when they were sent out and how long they are kept by the vodafone messaging centre before being discarded, for phones that are not on all the time.
    • mr_mf
    • By mr_mf 14th May 17, 7:07 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mr_mf
    • 14th May 17, 7:07 PM
    • 14th May 17, 7:07 PM
    My family have three phones, all in use, and no texts have been received here - I'm not sure there has been a formal announcement to customers yet! I think people here worked it out by digging around the now sparse web site, and following twitter.
    • BillTee
    • By BillTee 16th May 17, 9:32 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    BillTee
    Alternatives
    Look pretty sparse for Vodafone locked - Lebara appears to be only practical one (truphone is international business). Guess Vfone don't like competition - their PAYG rates are outrageous.

I also haven't received a text; only chanced upon news when searching Talk Mobile site for something else. Yet another change required with lost credits - Grrr!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 5,155 Posts
    • 5,023 Thanks
    Farway
    I also haven't received a text; only chanced upon news when searching Talk Mobile site for something else. Yet another change required with lost credits - Grrr!
    Originally posted by BillTee
    The voda offer SIM does come loaded with a "free" first top up, but does not say how much this is, can but hope it is a fiver or more given their exorbitant call rates

PS, also free unlock from Voda after 30 days use, so it says, wait and see. If this is true could be a bit of faffing but finish up with phone unlocked in the end
    Last edited by Farway; 16-05-2017 at 3:42 PM.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 16th May 17, 4:59 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    I've just got the text from them. My problem is that the Vodafone network is the only one that works in both my house and my partners. So I'll have to find a new mvno or else put up with no signal for half the week.

I'm not going with Vodafone directly. I'm well aware of their lousy customer service.

ETA: I've just looked at Lebara. It seems a text costs 19p!! Unless it's to another lebara phone.
    Last edited by ripplyuk; 16-05-2017 at 5:27 PM.
    • BillTee
    • By BillTee 17th May 17, 9:13 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    BillTee
    Farway, it does appear now that there's no longer a charge for NUC code. Used to be for PAYM users only.

Think the free SIM is for a rolling monthly bundle offer. You can opt out but then existing credits expire after 30 days. If we get a month free that should do the trick if one takes them at their word(?!)
    • Patrick Stewart
    • By Patrick Stewart 22nd May 17, 2:03 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Patrick Stewart
    Alternative
    I was with Talkmobile but switched to 1pMobile recently and so far all very good. And they are cheaper too at 1p a minute etc
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 22nd May 17, 2:36 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Mister G
    Sadly 1pmobile use the EE network, which is very poor where I live.

The only network with decent coverage around here is the Vodafone one.

I'm looking at Lebara as they appear to be the only MVNO left on the Vodafone network.
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 22nd May 17, 7:19 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    I was with Talkmobile but switched to 1pMobile recently and so far all very good. And they are cheaper too at 1p a minute etc
    Originally posted by Patrick Stewart
    Unfortunately, they are no good for very light users as you have to top up with £10 every 120 days - that's 30 quid a year.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 22nd May 17, 7:38 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    angryparcel
    check this out
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_mobile_virtual_network_oper ators[
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

413Posts Today

4,320Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin