Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • downshifter
    • By downshifter 12th May 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,051Posts
    • 1,852Thanks
    downshifter
    0 WOW
    Eggs!
    • 12th May 17, 7:39 PM
    0 WOW
    Eggs! 12th May 17 at 7:39 PM
    Where do you buy eggs? I usually just pick up a box of free range as I'm flying round Aldi but while down in Devon I got some free from a farm shop (Greendale I think it's called, it's fab!) and realised what I've been missing. The yolks were bright orange, they were fresh as anything, and the taste out of this world.

Unfortunately I live 250 miles away or I'd go back weekly. I live in a rural area and there are lots of eggs for sale at farm gates but tbh, they're no nicer than Aldi's and sometimes I think the freshness is questionable, the whites spread like water when poaching. How do I know how long they've been at the gate? They are also expensive considering the low overheads.

Up until last year I had my own hens, completely free range, grass eating etc but although I knew the eggs were fresh, the flavour/colour still wasn't like these. Maybe it's the breed.

So where do you get your eggs from? Any supermarket? Suppliers etc to recommend?

Thanks

DS
Page 1
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 12th May 17, 8:18 PM
    • 3,671 Posts
    • 22,315 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 12th May 17, 8:18 PM
    • 12th May 17, 8:18 PM
    During caravan season (March to October) I get my eggs from the farm next to the caravan site (rural North Yorkshire) and they must be the nicest eggs in the world!! The chooks have three fields to roam around in all day and even the farmer says we won't find a nicer egg anywhere. The yolks are golden and we know they are fresh as most days he sells out and has to cover his sign up!

I hate it in the winter months when I have to buy tasteless eggs with pale yolks from the supermarket!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 13th May 17, 11:14 AM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 6,429 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    • 13th May 17, 11:14 AM
    • 13th May 17, 11:14 AM
    I'd be interested to know this too, thanks for posting. I'm always a bit wary of buying eggs from allotments etc as you don't know about their hygiene practices.
    I'd love to know somewhere that I could obtain lovely fresh farm eggs while doing my normal shopping, hopefully we'll get some good suggestions.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 13th May 17, 11:28 AM
    • 28,524 Posts
    • 72,657 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 13th May 17, 11:28 AM
    • 13th May 17, 11:28 AM
    A fresh egg will have a firm white so it shouldn't spread out too much when you break it.

Yolks become very yellow when the chooks have access to plenty of grass and other plants - or when they are fed a feed fortified with a colourant additive.

You can test the freshness of an egg by putting it in water - a very fresh egg will sink quickly and lie horizontally. The more it tips up and rises through the water, the older it is.
    • downshifter
    • By downshifter 13th May 17, 9:17 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 1,852 Thanks
    downshifter
    • 13th May 17, 9:17 PM
    • 13th May 17, 9:17 PM
    Yes that's how I knew the farm gate eggs weren't any fresher than Aldi's. Also you sometimes get a mixed box, some fresh, some not so. My own hens, though fat with grass, didn't produce yolks like these so maybe a colourant or just the breed? I wish I knew.

Has anyone else any recommendations for buying good eggs with normal shopping or do I have to drive over 250 miles to Devon every time I run out? (they do mailorder but really, for a doz eggs which they've been giving away recently anyway!)

DS
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 13th May 17, 9:26 PM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 10,078 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 13th May 17, 9:26 PM
    • 13th May 17, 9:26 PM
    I think it's a case of trying local producers until you find the best ones.

I did this before finding a local farm sold through the Butcher I'd never buy supermarket eggs again tbh.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 13th May 17, 9:49 PM
    • 7,601 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    Stompa
    • 13th May 17, 9:49 PM
    • 13th May 17, 9:49 PM
    I was initially a bit sceptical, but having now tried them, I prefer Aldi's Blue Eggs. These ones:

http://myphotojourney.co.uk/blue-eggs/

though the reviewer on that site doesn't seem quite as impressed as I was. They certainly make pretty good omelettes IMO.
    Stompa
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 14th May 17, 7:44 AM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 6,429 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    • 14th May 17, 7:44 AM
    • 14th May 17, 7:44 AM
    I have bought them from my local butcher and the local 'fruit' shop but since the sign just says 'local eggs' ...
    I suppose that I'm used to the rubber stamping on eggs now, maybe there's some other way of knowing that they've been produced to a good standard?
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 14th May 17, 2:27 PM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 10,078 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 14th May 17, 2:27 PM
    • 14th May 17, 2:27 PM
    The eggs i get from butcher come in a branded box from the local farm.
    I know some though sell the eggs as loose which they then put into plain cartons.
    Last edited by KxMx; 14-05-2017 at 2:39 PM.
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 14th May 17, 3:30 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    I sell my eggs and they are never more then 24 hrs in the box at the gate. Over heads aren't low, point of lays start from £15 upwards, one breed I'm on the waiting list for is £45

Raising our own hens usually means we end up with more cocks then hens, and they need dispatching. Seeing as I can't kill a new chick I have to feed them till they are big enough to eat and I have to pay for them to be dispatched and returned oven ready. People don't want to buy those as the meat is very strong and is only really good for stewing. When we have an abundance of cockerals we don't have room for more hens which means we have less eggs to sell, hence I prefer buying POL

The colour of the yolk is determined by what they eat. Mine are free to roam. They are fed a commercial feed, corn, kitchen waste and whatever they dig up and what ever plants they find. We seed grass areas for them so once one patch is stripped bare, there's another one for them. Their yolks can vary from pale yellow to deep orange. The amount of greenery they get really make for dark strong tasting eggs.

I sell mixed boxes. Small ones are used up at home, as are the giants. I just sell large and extra large mixed At £1.20 for 6 I think I'm selling at a bargain price for high welfare eggs

I would love to have more hens, I was up to 17 last year and that really was the max I could have without renting a field. I'm down to ten laying hens ATM so get around 8 eggs a day now we are into summer, that drops to 3 or 4 during the winter because I refuse to force them into laying by keeping a light on for 14 hrs a day

My hens are pets. They come running when I whistle, shoot in the back door if I leave it open and raid the cat bowl and happily sit on my knee or come for a cuddle

I have had strangers to the area stop for eggs and they have asked to come see the hens, presumably to see that they are free to roam. They are welcomed. They see inside the hen house , the clean nesting boxes, their dust bathing area, see that they have free access to clean water and food and grit, and watch them roam across the bank down across the fields

I would say if you are wary about the welfare of the hens, ask to meet them. Most of us hobby owners are proud to show them off
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 14th May 17, 5:06 PM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 6,545 Thanks
    A. Badger
    As a fellow chicken keeper I'd just like to say I agree with all the above.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 14th May 17, 6:19 PM
    • 4,846 Posts
    • 11,070 Thanks
    Money maker
    Lots of maize give the very coloured yolks.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 14th May 17, 9:23 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    Lots of maize give the very coloured yolks.
    Originally posted by Money maker
    Yes it does, but doesn't give the deep strong flavour that a free to forage egg tastes like

Tbh it took me a while to appreciate the taste of my own hens eggs. They are soooo rich. I actually still prefer to keep some eggs back for a week or so before I will eat them - hence the ones in my box for sale are there for 24 hrs or I bring them in for use. I also don't wash eggs, it keeps their bloom which stops bacteria working its way through the shells
    • Gnocchi
    • By Gnocchi 27th Jun 17, 12:17 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    Gnocchi
    Abel & Cole eggs !
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 30th Jun 17, 12:37 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    I buy my eggs from supermarkets. The ones that I find best are:

Tesco Everyday Value Mixed Eggs (15 eggs) - £1.25

Tesco Free Range Medium Eggs (12 eggs) - £1.75

Morrisons Savers Eggs (18 eggs) - £1.43
    • andygb
    • By andygb 7th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 11,873 Posts
    • 25,613 Thanks
    andygb
    We buy our free range eggs from the Co-op. I think they are £2.49 a dozen, and the yolks always seem a nice, deep yellow and they have a good flavour.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 8th Jul 17, 7:52 AM
    • 12,610 Posts
    • 40,069 Thanks
    sarah1972
    I buy my eggs from supermarkets. The ones that I find best are:

Tesco Everyday Value Mixed Eggs (15 eggs) - £1.25

Morrisons Savers Eggs (18 eggs) - £1.43
    Originally posted by MrJones1
    Why on earth would you buy eggs from caged hens
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 8th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    • 6,284 Posts
    • 3,988 Thanks
    Ken68
    Colour apart I think they would have the same nutrition.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 8th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Informative thread. My last eggs came from Sainsburys local and tasted bad by their use-by date. I suspect it's down to bad storage conditions at the shop: they have those heaters in the ceiling that continuously blow warm air down onto the shelves. Bad news for other perishable products like chocolate and coffee, too.

I'll be looking out for one of the fresh egg outlets mentioned above in future.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 9th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 6,712 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Where do you buy eggs? I usually just pick up a box of free range as I'm flying round Aldi but while down in Devon I got some free from a farm shop (Greendale I think it's called, it's fab!) and realised what I've been missing. The yolks were bright orange, they were fresh as anything, and the taste out of this world.

Unfortunately I live 250 miles away or I'd go back weekly. I live in a rural area and there are lots of eggs for sale at farm gates but tbh, they're no nicer than Aldi's and sometimes I think the freshness is questionable, the whites spread like water when poaching. How do I know how long they've been at the gate? They are also expensive considering the low overheads.

Up until last year I had my own hens, completely free range, grass eating etc but although I knew the eggs were fresh, the flavour/colour still wasn't like these. Maybe it's the breed.

So where do you get your eggs from? Any supermarket? Suppliers etc to recommend?

Thanks

DS
    Originally posted by downshifter
    I've shopped at Greendale but never got free eggs. However I have seen this on their website

"Our new chickens have been laying more eggs than we anticipated and so we’ve decided to give away a box of half a dozen free range eggs to every customer who buys online or instore. "

Where we live there are dozens of eggs at farm gates, usually £1 for half a dozen. Most are very good, never had any stale though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,469Posts Today

8,318Users online

Martin's Twitter