Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ichase
    • By ichase 12th May 17, 2:29 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 4Thanks
    ichase
    Tesco Credit Cards compromised
    • 12th May 17, 2:29 PM
    Tesco Credit Cards compromised 12th May 17 at 2:29 PM
    I received a letter from Tesco informing me that due to a 3rd party retailer data breach my card was blocked (three days after it happened and I had transactions declined as I was unaware in between these times it happened and receiving the letter) and new one issued. They hadn't informed me of where the breach occurred but when the new cards were sent, these are contactless enabled (unlike the old ones)

I then asked for non-contactless cards and was told that they only now issue contactless ones so after over 8 years I have now cancelled my card, so they have lost a customer that has alot of spending over a year.

Couple of points Tesco's should of improved their communication as to the initial issue (they had my email on file)
    For customers like myself there should be a option for non-contactless
Page 1
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 12th May 17, 2:40 PM
    • 10,478 Posts
    • 21,652 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 12th May 17, 2:40 PM
    • 12th May 17, 2:40 PM
    I agree.

We have had Tesco clubcard credit cards for more years than I care to remember and we have cancelled ours.

Why they cannot offer a non-contactless one is beyond me, but they are the losers as we paid for everything with it.
    • derps
    • By derps 12th May 17, 7:25 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    derps
    • 12th May 17, 7:25 PM
    • 12th May 17, 7:25 PM
    What's the problem with contactless cards? They're really convenient, especially in pubs, and if people steal money from you just get it all back from the card issuer right away.
    • browneyone
    • By browneyone 12th May 17, 9:39 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    browneyone
    • 12th May 17, 9:39 PM
    • 12th May 17, 9:39 PM
    Unreal that someone would cancel a account becuase of this.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 13th May 17, 2:47 AM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 876 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 13th May 17, 2:47 AM
    • 13th May 17, 2:47 AM
    To the two of you who have closed your longstanding credit card accounts with Tesco because you have been given contactless cards:
    I hope you have not bitten off your noses to spite your faces and that your credit ratings are good enough to replace these cards and their credit limits with the all so important non-contactless cards from other providers.

To the OP: This rather strange '3rd party retail data breach' occurred on your non-contactless card I imagine? Yet you couldn't care less about that! Your only gripe is that the replacement card was contactless!
    Last edited by Ben8282; 13-05-2017 at 2:51 AM.
    • redpete
    • By redpete 13th May 17, 7:17 AM
    • 4,115 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    redpete
    • 13th May 17, 7:17 AM
    • 13th May 17, 7:17 AM
    So the original problem was with a 3rd party retailer, not Tesco or contactless cards.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 13th May 17, 7:39 AM
    • 387 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 13th May 17, 7:39 AM
    • 13th May 17, 7:39 AM
    We actually cannot wait to get contactless on our Tesco CC. This is our main card, and it will be so much easier to put all spending on this (once the TSB offer expires of course!!)
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • ichase
    • By ichase 13th May 17, 12:14 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ichase
    • 13th May 17, 12:14 PM
    • 13th May 17, 12:14 PM
    Until the major companies mastercard and visa stop taking the payments "offline" then cards are still being used contactless months after they are cancelled. If you lost yours will you still be checking your statement for any contactless purchases 6 mths down the line to make sure its still not being used?
    • ichase
    • By ichase 13th May 17, 12:22 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ichase
    • 13th May 17, 12:22 PM
    • 13th May 17, 12:22 PM
    I have an excellent rating on clearscore.. over 550 and noodle is over 650 both well above UK and local area average

To the two of you who have closed your longstanding credit card accounts with Tesco because you have been given contactless cards:
    I hope you have not bitten off your noses to spite your faces and that your credit ratings are good enough to replace these cards and their credit limits with the all so important non-contactless cards from other providers.

To the OP: This rather strange '3rd party retail data breach' occurred on your non-contactless card I imagine? Yet you couldn't care less about that! Your only gripe is that the replacement card was contactless!
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 13th May 17, 3:20 PM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    glider3560
    Until the major companies mastercard and visa stop taking the payments "offline" then cards are still being used contactless months after they are cancelled. If you lost yours will you still be checking your statement for any contactless purchases 6 mths down the line to make sure its still not being used?
    Originally posted by ichase
    The card will regularly require a PIN authenticated transaction to be made. Whether offline or online.

This varies by card. It is strictly every 10th consecutive contactless transaction on my Nationwide card. Slightly less often on Halifax.

You should be checking every statement anyway. It's not difficult. You know where you shop, so any odd transaction should stand out quite easily.

• takman
    • By takman 13th May 17, 6:53 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 2,164 Thanks
    takman
    You should be checking every statement for every account you have to make sure they are correct. It will be easy for you to spot because if you don't want contactless on that card then you will know any contactless transactions are fraudulent and can report them immediately.

I have contactless on all my cards now and even my phone and I've never had any problems with it and don't know of anyone else who has!.
    • takman
    • By takman 13th May 17, 6:56 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 2,164 Thanks
    takman
    I have an excellent rating on clearscore.. over 550 and noodle is over 650 both well above UK and local area average
    The fact that you are quoting credit scores shoes shows you don't understand what lenders look for when your applying for credit. So you should take some time to understand your credit history by reading on this forum.

Also noodles are a food item made from dough and definitely won't help you get credit regardless of if you have 650 of them or a million!.
    Last edited by takman; 14-05-2017 at 2:44 AM.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 13th May 17, 8:51 PM
    • 9,907 Posts
    • 6,325 Thanks
    bigadaj
    The fact that you are quoting credit scores shoes you don't understand what lenders looks for when your applying for credit. So you should take some time to understand your credit history by reading on this forum.

Also noodles are a food item made from dough and definitely won't help you get credit regardless of if you have 650 of them or a million!.
    Originally posted by takman
    Credit shoes?
    • takman
    • By takman 14th May 17, 2:43 AM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 2,164 Thanks
    takman
    Credit shoes?
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    It's seems quite ironic my phone would autocorrect in a post where I was making a joke about an autocorrected word!
    • solentsusie
    • By solentsusie 16th May 17, 2:06 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    solentsusie
    My thoughts exactly....
    • Bigcammy
    • By Bigcammy 12th Jun 17, 7:15 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    Bigcammy
    I just received a text message from Tesco about my Credit Card possibly being compromised, they are very vague in how they word it. Rang them and they told me it was a third party data breach reported to them by Mastercard, so it looks like it's taking them a long time to find out which cards may have been compromised, or they have suffered a further data breach.

I'm not particularly worried about my new card being contactless though I do use RFID blocking sleeves in the vain hope they work.
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 12th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    I just received a text message from Tesco about my Credit Card possibly being compromised, they are very vague in how they word it. Rang them and they told me it was a third party data breach reported to them by Mastercard, so it looks like it's taking them a long time to find out which cards may have been compromised, or they have suffered a further data breach.
    Originally posted by Bigcammy
    Data breaches and leaks are probably quite common. And not always the fault of card issuers or merchants.

I had two of my card replaced during the same month some time ago. I hadn't used them anywhere even vaguely dodgy.

I had another card unexpectedly replaced a while ago that wasn't about to expire. No explanation. Just the usual here's your new card letter.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 12th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    • 10,478 Posts
    • 21,652 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR

We have other cards anyway that are not contactless.

We do not need a credit card anyway really, always pay off the balance every month, only use them to get the points.

Never checked my credit rating as never borrow money and mortgage is being paid off.

If the other cards go contactless only they will get cancelled as well.

The bank sent contactless debit cards but they replaced them when asked.
    Last edited by POPPYOSCAR; 12-06-2017 at 9:26 PM.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 12th Jun 17, 9:33 PM
    • 10,478 Posts
    • 21,652 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Unreal that someone would cancel a account becuase of this.
    Originally posted by browneyone

Why?

We do not like contactless, our personal preference.

Great if you do but they should offer the choice IMO for those that do not and not forced on us.
    • takman
    • By takman 12th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 2,164 Thanks
    takman
    We have other cards anyway that are not contactless.

We do not need a credit card anyway really, always pay off the balance every month, only use them to get the points.

Never checked my credit rating as never borrow money and mortgage is being paid off.

If the other cards go contactless only they will get cancelled as well.

The bank sent contactless debit cards but they replaced them when asked.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    I assume that means you have never checked your credit report either?. So this means it could be full of mistakes and fraudulent accounts, so i'm assuming you are not worried about fraud.

Why?

We do not like contactless, our personal preference.

Great if you do but they should offer the choice IMO for those that do not and not forced on us.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    What is the reason you don't like contactless?. If its fraud then why are you concerned about it on contactless but are not worried about fraudulent credit accounts?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,059Posts Today

4,675Users online

Martin's Twitter