Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alloneword
    • By Alloneword 12th May 17, 1:40 PM
    • 294Posts
    • 349Thanks
    Alloneword
    Some kind of email server/service needed, please help me
    • 12th May 17, 1:40 PM
    Some kind of email server/service needed, please help me 12th May 17 at 1:40 PM
    Hi everyone, i will try to exolain myself as best as poss but bear with me if i dont use the right words or terms.
    I have 2 tesco.net email account that i have hadfor years and DO NOT want to lose them, my isp used to be plusnet, so i used to have my setting in thunderbird (TB) as relay.plus.net and all was fine i could use my TB to send and receive emails with no issues.

However i moved 3-4 months ago to a ISP that has no email service that ISP is Relish.Net, so spoke to a few people and was suggested i took out a domain and use there email service that would allow me to keep my tesco.net account and still use TB as my client, which is all i wanted to do.

However i bought from freeparking.co.uk and bought a domain from them in my name (say its john smith) i have NO interest in setting up a web page just being able to use my old tesco.net email address in TB.

I have been trying for months to get them to sort it but they are as much use as a wet paper bag.

So does anyone know what the technical term is for what i want? they have used mail forwarding but no idea if that is right.

Also any suggestion for a better company they have NO telephone support, they say they offer a chat option but i cant find the damm app anywhere, I'm just so p****d off with it all.

All1
Page 1
    • Velvet Glove
    • By Velvet Glove 12th May 17, 1:50 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Velvet Glove
    • 12th May 17, 1:50 PM
    • 12th May 17, 1:50 PM
    I think if you set up a gmail account, you could have your tesco.net emails forwarded to that account.
    • Alloneword
    • By Alloneword 12th May 17, 1:56 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Alloneword
    • 12th May 17, 1:56 PM
    • 12th May 17, 1:56 PM
    I didn't want to go the google route as i didn't fancy them spying on me, mind you i had the feds and mi5 doing it anyway

All1
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 12th May 17, 2:24 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 12th May 17, 2:24 PM
    • 12th May 17, 2:24 PM
    You can use any of the online providers to collect your mail, even use two, one to collect and store, the other to collect and delete (after 14 days say), then you download with thunderbird from the one that deletes.

You need to log into these accounts online once in a while as well as into the Tesco system, usually deleting mails is seen as activity.

So you are looking at Gmail, Yahoo, GMX, and Hotmail/Outlook

GMAIL offers good options for sending email as (from Tesco email), although I would start migrating your email to your new address, you are more likely to find username at GMX available.

If you do not like any of these then you need to get web hosting so that you have a server. I can recommend one that is free for a year with a small setup charge.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 12th May 17, 3:12 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 12th May 17, 3:12 PM
    • 12th May 17, 3:12 PM
    Tesco emails will be spied on by the UK Govt, as will all your web browsing unless you use a VPN (be careful, who knows which government hosts them).

The German based Tutanota email service (https://tutanota.com) has end to end encryption, smart phone app and is free. Another free one with higher security, is Proton Mail based in Switzerland (https://protonmail.com).
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 24,982 Posts
    • 9,909 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 12th May 17, 3:40 PM
    You dont want google spying on you? You think Tesco don't?
    And the same with Plusnet.

You do know this website and most others load google in the background?

You would probably cringe if you knew how much data websites have access to when you use them.

Why do you think Microsoft are giving Windows 10 away for free, and it even works if you do not activate it. Because they can make more money from your data.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Alloneword
    • By Alloneword 12th May 17, 3:46 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Alloneword
    • 12th May 17, 3:46 PM
    • 12th May 17, 3:46 PM
    If you do not like any of these then you need to get web hosting so that you have a server. I can recommend one that is free for a year with a small setup charge.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Yes i think that is the option i'm going to have to take i think, all i want is someone that offers half decent level of support either chat or telephone will be fine for me so suggestions welcome.

All1
    • deskhelp
    • By deskhelp 16th May 17, 10:19 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    deskhelp
    • 16th May 17, 10:19 AM
    • 16th May 17, 10:19 AM
    I personally use webhost UK for my emails you can try them.
    Second one is google that I prefer which you don't wish go with.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 16th May 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 16th May 17, 7:28 PM
    • 16th May 17, 7:28 PM
    Yes i think that is the option i'm going to have to take i think, all i want is someone that offers half decent level of support either chat or telephone will be fine for me so suggestions welcome.
    Originally posted by Alloneword
    Try www.one.com
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 16th May 17, 9:36 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    dj1471
    Forgive the stupid question, but have you actually tried sending email through smtp.tesco.net (authenticated with your username and password)? So long as the from address is @tesco.net that should work.

Tesco have full Thunderbird setup instructions here.
    • Alloneword
    • By Alloneword 17th May 17, 5:35 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Alloneword
    No telephone support and no chat support despite the fact they say 24 hour support, I will need some level of help setting this up.
    Well tried 1and1 and they want 9 a month, so told em where to go on that one and waiting for webhost to come back to me.

All1
    • Alloneword
    • By Alloneword 17th May 17, 5:36 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Alloneword
    Forgive the stupid question, but have you actually tried sending email through smtp.tesco.net (authenticated with your username and password)? So long as the from address is @tesco.net that should work.

Tesco have full Thunderbird setup instructions here.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    I did try about 4 years ago when i last moved ISP and go nowhere but i will give it a go again you never know it might have changed.

All1
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th May 17, 5:43 PM
    • 8,583 Posts
    • 7,924 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    What device(s) are you wanting to access email from?

Unless your requirements for access are quite complicated, I don't think you need a server (Tesco already does that part for you). You just need to set up your local eMail apps with the right details to interface directly with Tesco and away you go.

If you do want to further explore the hosting angle, there are various free hosts now, each with their own benefits and limitations. I've used both 000webhost.com and Hostinger's free service for a while without problems, though support will necessary be limited on a free service.

I would say that your expectation that these large webhosting companies should sort out a small issue with multi-party email setup is possibly going to remain unfulfilled. If you really want someone to help, I would have thought a local PC support company might be a better option, though you will have to pay for the service.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 17-05-2017 at 5:47 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Alloneword
    • By Alloneword 17th May 17, 6:00 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Alloneword
    Nope the smtp.tesco.net trick failed, guess it was worth a try, i think the problem is i could not send via smtp tesco because i was not connectd via the tesco.net ISP
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 18th May 17, 12:46 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    DavidP24
    That depends on their relay settings, most do not like it, for example Plusnet, but they allow you to send through your own domain if you use the domain mail server, it may help to log into webmail of your domain.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 24th May 17, 11:16 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    angryparcel
    you could go for a simple email hosting plan
    like these

123-reg.co.uk/email-hosting/
    niceday-hosting.co.uk/clients/email-hosting.php
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,471Posts Today

6,774Users online

Martin's Twitter