Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ElwoodBlues
    • By ElwoodBlues 12th May 17, 1:40 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 10Thanks
    ElwoodBlues
    Switching away from TalkTalk in last month of contract
    • 12th May 17, 1:40 PM
    Switching away from TalkTalk in last month of contract 12th May 17 at 1:40 PM
    I took out an 18 month contract with TalkTalk (line rental and simplybroadband fibre) in Nov 2015. My go live date was 14th December 2015. So my 18 months are almost up, is it from the order date or the go live date - which would be 14th June this year.

However, I'd like to take advantage of the current BT offer, with the cashback card. But that offer expires next week, 18th May. So if I start the switch between the 14 and 18th May, I'll be into the last month of my TalkTalk contract, but not quite at the end. So will I incur early termination fees with less than a month to go?

Worst case, I think it's worth swallowing the potential 1 month early termination fee to make sure I get the current BT deal? Unless there's a better offer around the corner...
Page 1
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 12th May 17, 2:28 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    anactuary
    • 12th May 17, 2:28 PM
    • 12th May 17, 2:28 PM
    The term is counted from the 'go live' date. Early termination charges reflect the period left in your minimum term. From TalkTalk website (sorry about the formatting):

This charge varies depending on your TalkTalk service and the number of months you have left on your contract. The table below will show you how much the early termination charges are for each month remaining on your contract:

Package Charge per month remaining on your contract
    Phone only £3.00
    Plus £25.00
    Plus TV £25.00*
    Essentials £17.50
    Essentials TV £17.50*
    Simply Broadband £15.50
    Fast Broadband £13.00
    Faster Fibre £16.00
    Fastest Ultra Fibre Optic £10.50
    Any other package £8.00 - £23.31 dependent on package
    • ElwoodBlues
    • By ElwoodBlues 12th May 17, 2:52 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ElwoodBlues
    • 12th May 17, 2:52 PM
    • 12th May 17, 2:52 PM
    Thanks, I'd seen that. Not particularly clear though - I'm on Simply Broadband Fibre package. Does that mean I have to pay £3 for the phone, £15.50 for the simply broadband, and then more on top for it being fibre??
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 12th May 17, 6:31 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    anactuary
    • 12th May 17, 6:31 PM
    • 12th May 17, 6:31 PM
    I'm not sure. I left them a while ago and would never go back, but there was a price rise so no penalty for me (although they applied one anyway but that's another story).

I think the £3 for phone is if you only have a phone line (ie no broadband). I would have thought your penalty would be £16 per month all in. Having said that, it's quite strange that the penalty for ultra fibre is lower when I imagine that service is dearer.
    • mustbemad
    • By mustbemad 14th May 17, 4:51 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    mustbemad
    • 14th May 17, 4:51 PM
    • 14th May 17, 4:51 PM
    You can order from BT now while the offer is on and request a switch date for the 14th June, no penalty to pay then!

MBM x
    Debt free as of June 2013 and never getting into anything other than mortgage debt in the future
  • TalkTalk Company Representative
    • 15th May 17, 4:00 PM
    • 15th May 17, 4:00 PM
    Hi ElwoodBlues,

I'm sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving. We'd recommend you get in touch with our customer loyalty team so they can take a look at your account and confirm any cancellation charges for you. Their contact details can be found in the contact us section of our website.

Thanks
    Emma
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • mouse10
    • By mouse10 18th May 17, 7:56 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mouse10
    • 18th May 17, 7:56 PM
    • 18th May 17, 7:56 PM
    BT will credit your account with any cancellation charges up to £300. Email the switching team with your final bill attached and they will credit in 30 days.
    Charles J
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,218Posts Today

9,180Users online

Martin's Twitter