Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 12th May 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1,464Posts
    • 685Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    Carpet watermarking
    • 12th May 17, 11:35 AM
    Carpet watermarking 12th May 17 at 11:35 AM
    Has anyone else suffered a problem of water marking after having carpets fitted ?

We had a new carpet fitted, after 6 months unusual patterns /patches developed in the pile - the patches do not correspond with the normal walking path i.e human traffic on the carpet

Some of it has been replaced, but now the replacement is showing same issue again in different places

The carpet industry seem to be fully aware of it and call it water marking or pooling but seem to want to wash their hands of the problem
    http://www.carpetinspector.com/members/RayMorgan.htm

I was given no warning that this might be an issue with the carpet I had chosen when I purchased and as such consider the carpet to be unsuitable/unsatisfactory/unfit for purpose

Has anyone tried the small claims court procedure to get a refund ?
Page 1
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 12th May 17, 12:09 PM
    • 2,655 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    Annie1960
    • 12th May 17, 12:09 PM
    • 12th May 17, 12:09 PM
    I've never heard of this, and none of my carpets has ever been affected.

Before going down small claims route, have you discussed the problem with the suppliers?

How did you pay? If my credit card you could look at the section 75 route, and if by debit card then you could investigate a chargeback.

Before that, however, does the supplier belong to any of the carpet industry bodies you could discuss this with? It should be on their headed paper/invoice if they have such membership.
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 12th May 17, 1:18 PM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    • 12th May 17, 1:18 PM
    • 12th May 17, 1:18 PM
    A very similar cut pile carpet was previously in place for nearly 20 years without showing any such issue

Unfortunately paid by bank transfer : going to have to stop doing that !

The shop does display the Carpet Foundation logo ...

And from their code of practice

It does state - "Consumers will be made aware of the special issues relating to potential pile reversal cases."

we were not ! - so that may be one avenue

Edit : checking the small print on back of quotation does make mention of pile reversal and does say "this is not a fault"
    Last edited by bob_a_builder; 12-05-2017 at 1:48 PM.
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 12th May 17, 3:28 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    JEN22
    • 12th May 17, 3:28 PM
    • 12th May 17, 3:28 PM
    Non of my carpets have had this
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 12th May 17, 3:58 PM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    • 12th May 17, 3:58 PM
    • 12th May 17, 3:58 PM
    None of mine have had it before in 3 different houses over 40 years either - but we are where we are, and we have it now !

It seems if you buy a carpet manufactured by ( not sold by) a "carpet foundation" member they will guarantee against it for 2 years

Odd that its not a fault then ?
    • Mr Poves
    • By Mr Poves 12th May 17, 9:38 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Mr Poves
    • 12th May 17, 9:38 PM
    • 12th May 17, 9:38 PM
    If you mean shading and pile reversal it's a normal characteristic of most cutpile carpets , best way around is go for wool twist but not cheap .
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 14th Jun 17, 11:43 PM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:43 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:43 PM
    Here is a picture of my 'characteristic', which the carpet industry doesn't think is a problem

The problem does not show at fitting time, but takes about a month to show

Would they put up with it in their home ?

Last edited by bob_a_builder; 14-06-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,441Users online

Martin's Twitter