Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 11th May 17, 7:06 PM
    • 4,906Posts
    • 5,052Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    BBC iPlayer now requires your address.
    • 11th May 17, 7:06 PM
    BBC iPlayer now requires your address. 11th May 17 at 7:06 PM
    New rules apply to the BBC iPlayer from today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/05/11/bbc-iplayer-now-has-password-controls/
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
Page 2
    • EdSwippet
    • By EdSwippet 13th May 17, 10:44 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    EdSwippet
    The idea is that naive people will use the same email address for their iPlayer ID as they've previously used on the non-compulsory online form for people who don't need a Licence.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    I've done exactly that. Deliberately, and with complete cognisance of the fact that I'm opening myself up to incorrect 'enforcement'.

I do not own a TV. I use iPlayer radio but not iPlayer TV or any other online TV service other than non-BBC catchup, and do not have a license. In other words, I comply scrupulously with the terms of TV licensing. We shall see what transpires, then.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 16th May 17, 2:21 PM
    • 1,421 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    The idea is that naive people will use the same email address for their iPlayer ID as they've previously used on the non-compulsory online form for people who don't need a Licence.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Well, I went to complete that form a few years ago, and gave up when it requested name, email and phone number. I've never had a colour telly or watch catch-up so would prefer to maintain my privacy and lack of spam. I do listen to radio so it will be interesting to see how things pan out. I keep abreast of developments by coming on here!
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 17th May 17, 2:58 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 5,052 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    I've just had an email from the BBC regarding the BBC iPlayer and their change to the conditions. Changes include:

How we show you advertising on social media sites
    How we share emails with TV Licensing to check if you are using BBC iPlayer
    Asking you to provide your gender when you register for a BBC account.
    If you are happy for these changes to take place, you don’t need to do anything. If you don’t want these changes to apply, you’re free to close your account. We’d be really sorry to see you go – so if you ever have questions about your agreement with us you can read more in Using the BBC.

So there we have it. Anyone not happy with these changes can stop using iPlayer. And the BBC will be really unhappy to see you go!!!
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 17th May 17, 5:44 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    Swipe
    You can still get the bbc radio feeds without iplayer:

http://www.radio-browser.info/gui/#/byname/bbc
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 17th May 17, 7:09 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    craigr98
    I believe the bbc already has our details already from May's government.
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 17th May 17, 10:06 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    VisionMan
    This is a very grey area. A fact which my respected friend Cornucopia often rightly points out.
    If one doesn't wish to pay the TVL fine, but I don't believe the iPlayer will let one use it without typing 'yes' to having a TVL. But to listen to BBC radio, one doesn't need to. As theres a superb app out there called the Radioplayer -

http://www.radioplayer.co.uk/discover/a-z/a-c

No sign up required.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th May 17, 10:13 PM
    • 8,582 Posts
    • 7,917 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Also tunein.com - which is available on NowTV boxes.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 17-05-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • hasdogs
    • By hasdogs 22nd May 17, 4:43 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    hasdogs
    I've just had an email from the BBC
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    You gave the BBC a real email address - lol.

I have a personal privacy policy of not giving anyone any valid personal information without good reason. I have no reason to give the BBC online services any information. I have no desire to help them track my iplayer activity and let them correlate it with other personal information they will attempt to collect.

If forced to use an account I have already created half a dozen to use randomly. I wonder how many thousands of others live at broadcasting house (W1A 1AA)?

There are only two reasons why iplayer account login will be mandatory and they are either to try to enforce licensing or to assist collection of personal information which they will try to monetise.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 22nd May 17, 5:21 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 5,052 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    You gave the BBC a real email address - lol.

I have a personal privacy policy of not giving anyone any valid personal information without good reason. I have no reason to give the BBC online services any information. I have no desire to help them track my iplayer activity and let them correlate it with other personal information they will attempt to collect.

If forced to use an account I have already created half a dozen to use randomly. I wonder how many thousands of others live at broadcasting house (W1A 1AA)?

There are only two reasons why iplayer account login will be mandatory and they are either to try to enforce licensing or to assist collection of personal information which they will try to monetise.
    Originally posted by hasdogs
    I don't mind giving the BBC my correct email address. I'm not on the fiddle and I pay my TV licence, so I've nothing to hide or worry about.

Personally, I look forward to the day the BBC drags a few con-merchants before the courts for using iPlayer without a licence. May the day come soon.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 22nd May 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,421 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I don't mind giving the BBC my correct email address. I'm not on the fiddle and I pay my TV licence, so I've nothing to hide or worry about.
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    Well, I'm over 60, have been on the internet a long time, and have never had a colour television. I take a much more circumspect view of giving out my emails, and am pleased to say I get very little spam.

You are obviously like Capita in finding it hard to conceive people without televisions exist, but there are plenty of us and I've quite a number of friends and aquaintances in that number.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 22nd May 17, 8:19 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 5,052 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    Well, I'm over 60, have been on the internet a long time, and have never had a colour television. I take a much more circumspect view of giving out my emails, and am pleased to say I get very little spam.

You are obviously like Capita in finding it hard to conceive people without televisions exist, but there are plenty of us and I've quite a number of friends and aquaintances in that number.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    I'm over 60 as well. Seventy next year in fact. And also been on the internet a long time. I also get very little spam also (less than one a week), as I only give my email to those who I want to have it.

But if people don't have a colour TV, but use iPlayer, then they should be paying for a TV licence. Whether that's a Capita thing or not, I don't know.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 22nd May 17, 8:48 PM
    • 8,582 Posts
    • 7,917 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    There's no issue for most people that those who need a Licence should have one, and I'm sure MSE would like all discussion to be framed that way.

However, the BBC and its TV Licensing department have a long and broad history of questionable conduct, and I imagine that that is what Silverwhistle is referring to.

The very basic questions are:-

- Does a public authority need a specific authorisation before it establishes a law enforcement activity?

- Should all law enforcement operations be accountable to Parliament?

- Does policing within citizens' homes create significant practical and legal problems that if handled appropriately would be insurmountable?

- Does a public authority have the right to deliberately mislead the Public (or at the very least communicate incompetently with them) when it comes to legal obligations, rights, duties and powers?

And so on...

It's a big, nasty can of worms and it needs sorting out.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,883Posts Today

4,423Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin