Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sarahl1904
    • By sarahl1904 11th May 17, 6:30 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sarahl1904
    DRO help
    • 11th May 17, 6:30 PM
    DRO help 11th May 17 at 6:30 PM
    Hi
    I have been enquiring about setting up a DRO today and my surplus is under £50 a month but they've said cos I pay £50 a month to a ccj which is included in my income and expenditure I am not allowed a DRO.
    Is that right?
    Also if I can do a DRO are any of my husband's belongings included in the things in his house over £1000 going to be taken off him?
    The DRO is based on my income.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th May 17, 9:11 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,837 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 11th May 17, 9:11 PM
    • 11th May 17, 9:11 PM
    Hi
    I have been enquiring about setting up a DRO today and my surplus is under £50 a month but they've said cos I pay £50 a month to a ccj which is included in my income and expenditure I am not allowed a DRO.
    Is that right?
    Also if I can do a DRO are any of my husband's belongings included in the things in his house over £1000 going to be taken off him?
    The DRO is based on my income.
    Originally posted by sarahl1904
    Where did you go for information on a DRO ?

The assets rule does not work like that, nothing gets taken from anyone, your confusing this with a bayliff removing goods.

Assets include cash, or any other valuable items that are yours, you can also have a car worth up to £1000.

Unsure on the first part of your question.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • sarahl1904
    • By sarahl1904 11th May 17, 9:28 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sarahl1904
    • 11th May 17, 9:28 PM
    • 11th May 17, 9:28 PM
    Thank you so if it's in my husband's name and it's over £1000 that's fine?
    My jewellery is worth less than £1000 so that's ok isn't it?
    I got the information regarding the ccj off Stepchange.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 12th May 17, 7:18 AM
    • 10,942 Posts
    • 8,153 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 12th May 17, 7:18 AM
    • 12th May 17, 7:18 AM
    Is that right?
    No, it's irrelevant. If you have less than £50 surplus per month then you meet the surplus income rule.

What you've been paying up to that point doesn't matter. You could have been paying the ccj by going further into debt, or with help from partner or a third party or been paying it from excluded income or been paying at the expense of other bills like water or food
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th May 17, 12:24 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,837 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th May 17, 12:24 PM
    • 12th May 17, 12:24 PM
    i would take Fatbellys advice above, as he is an intermediary.

Stepchange dont always get it right unfortunately.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• sarahl1904
    • By sarahl1904 12th May 17, 11:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sarahl1904
    • 12th May 17, 11:44 PM
    • 12th May 17, 11:44 PM
    Thank you for your message.
    My available income is less than £50 I don't know why stepchange would say it's not available.
    Do you recommend anywhere else I could phone about it?
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 13th May 17, 7:18 AM
    • 10,942 Posts
    • 8,153 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 13th May 17, 7:18 AM
    • 13th May 17, 7:18 AM
    Thank you for your message.
    My available income is less than £50 I don't know why stepchange would say it's not available.
    Do you recommend anywhere else I could phone about it?
    Stepchange and CAB are the main ones for DROs. But there are a dozen or so 'competent authorities'

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/getting-a-debt-relief-order/getting-a-debt-relief-order.

I am routinely getting clients (at CAB) who have been turned down for a DRO by Stepchange/payplan despite being suited to one.

Equally, I had a client this week who had been so well prepared by National Debtline that she arrived with everything I needed and we submitted the application an hour later!
    • sarahl1904
    • By sarahl1904 14th May 17, 12:31 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sarahl1904
    • 14th May 17, 12:31 PM
    • 14th May 17, 12:31 PM
    Would u recommend me getting in touch with national debt line first?
    I did phone the CAB and they said they'd get back to me but I haven't heard from them.
    • wba31
    • By wba31 16th May 17, 8:52 AM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    wba31
    • 16th May 17, 8:52 AM
    • 16th May 17, 8:52 AM
    I'm guessing with SC your budget shows you paying £50 and then your surplus is under £50, but when a DRO goes through you wont pay the £50 ccj so it appears the surplus will go over.
    Are there areas on your budget you are not budgeting for? food been reduced? clothing? hairdressing? christmas/birthdays? leisure?
    just contact SC and tell them what areas will increase to if you're not paying £50 ccj and get them to put the DRO through...
    • king16
    • By king16 16th May 17, 10:11 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    king16
    Sorry to jump on your post for advice.. but this is interesting, my husband was hoping to apply for a DRO as his debts are under the amount, no assets or savings over £1000, his surplus is £20 a month but because he pays £64 to 3x CCJ's a month they have said that would become surplus if he stopped paying them due to a DRO so said he isn't able to apply for a DRO.

This is also with StepChange. he has filled out the debt remedy form on their website but hasn't decided on what to do so he can still amend the debt remedy, what should he alter?
  • National Debtline
    Hi king16

Sorry to jump on your post for advice.. but this is interesting, my husband was hoping to apply for a DRO as his debts are under the amount, no assets or savings over £1000, his surplus is £20 a month but because he pays £64 to 3x CCJ's a month they have said that would become surplus if he stopped paying them due to a DRO so said he isn't able to apply for a DRO.

This is also with StepChange. he has filled out the debt remedy form on their website but hasn't decided on what to do so he can still amend the debt remedy, what should he alter?
    Originally posted by king16

I have replied on the other thread you started on this topic.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • DorisTrousers
    • By DorisTrousers 18th May 17, 5:26 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    DorisTrousers
    Moral of the story on this and other threads seems to be don't apply for a DRO with StepChange, and certainly do not rely on a faceless online debt remedy tool to give you advice. I am still shocked that the FCA did not get them to shut that facility down permanently.
    • sarahl1904
    • By sarahl1904 20th May 17, 12:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sarahl1904
    Thank you all for your comments.
    So do I include the ccj cos my mum pays it or not include it and let my mum continue to pay it
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 20th May 17, 1:24 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,837 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Moral of the story on this and other threads seems to be don't apply for a DRO with StepChange, and certainly do not rely on a faceless online debt remedy tool to give you advice. I am still shocked that the FCA did not get them to shut that facility down permanently.
    Originally posted by DorisTrousers
    I think as a nation debt charity, stepchange cannot afford to give out incorrect information, is it just a case of certain individuals mis-interpreting the rules, or is it endemic within the company.

I will contact stepchange and ask them to comment on this matter.

• wba31
    • By wba31 20th May 17, 8:32 PM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    wba31
    So do I include the ccj cos my mum pays it or not include it and let my mum continue to pay it
    You have to include all debts, so you have to include it, let your ma save her money
    • wba31
    • By wba31 20th May 17, 8:38 PM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    wba31
    I think as a nation debt charity, stepchange cannot afford to give out incorrect information, is it just a case of certain individuals mis-interpreting the rules, or is it endemic within the company.

I will contact stepchange and ask them to comment on this matter.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    I personally don't think it's as black and white as that, but maybe because i know a few people that work in the DRO team there i can understand where the confusion is coming (along with a lack of common sense by the inidividual who OP spoke to).

We all know what intermediaries would do with the budget and apply the common sense, but people wont speak to an intermediary until they have been referred by an earlier advisor who has made the error.

My advice to OP would be to firstly go elsewhere, so that we're not all banging our head against the wall in frustration, but file a complaint with StepChange, they might then give the OP some explanation as to why they have done what they have...
  • StepChange_Richard
    Hi sarahl1904

Sourcrates brought this to my attention. I've sent you a private message in case you want any help with this.

Many thanks,
    Richard.
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 22nd May 17, 6:12 PM
    • 10,942 Posts
    • 8,153 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Sorry, sarah, I've been away for a few days.

The ccj is a debt in your name so it goes into the DRO and you are not allowed to make payments to it.

Technically, your mum would be allowed to, but it makes no sense for her to do so. She can help you to pay the £90 DRO fee.

Either way, payments to the ccj are not an allowable expense so you must have less than £50 per month surplus, ignoring all debts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,811Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin