Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • debrag
    • By debrag 11th May 17, 1:10 PM
    • 3,378Posts
    • 1,719Thanks
    debrag
    Kids in flats
    • 11th May 17, 1:10 PM
    Kids in flats 11th May 17 at 1:10 PM
    I have nothing against kids living in flats, they have to live somewhere, but surely they can't just act like kids while indoors!

There's a family with one baby and one toddler, they don't live directly above us but they sure as do sound like they do. It's not all day every day thank god but it sounds like the kid is constantly jumping off furniture and running around. The parents do nothing, in fact they join in!

Most people will just say they are 'just being kids' but they can go outside and do that I'm glad I'm not directly below them. It's a very small 2 bed flat and no kids above 5 live in the blocks so I can only hope that they move out some time soon.

If the kid above us runs around or screams etc then she gets told off, but the other family do nothing.
Page 2
    • keithmac
    • By keithmac 11th May 17, 6:28 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    keithmac
    We made sure we had a suitable house before deciding to have children and they have had plenty of use out of the back garden over the years!.

My 10 year old goes out on his own now locally, I wasn't overly into the idea to start with but you've got to give them some freedom!.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 11th May 17, 6:34 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 3,469 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Most people will just say they are 'just being kids' but they can go outside and do that I'm glad I'm not directly below them. It's a very small 2 bed flat and no kids above 5 live in the blocks so I can only hope that they move out some time soon.
    Originally posted by debrag
    It's more likely that in a few years time you'll have several primary aged children in the block.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 11th May 17, 7:59 PM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    boliston
    I think a lot of the blame lies with poor soundproofing - it seems wrong that having a kid would force you to pay a fortune to live in a house if you can only afford a flat - most urban areas have even terraced houses costing several hundred thousand.

I like they way they do things in berlin where apartment living is pretty much standard for everyone as houses are very rare apart from the outskirts. I noticed they have plenty of kindergarten amongst the high rise apartment blocks so kids can easily walk to school.

The UK is pretty badly set up for kids as the norm seems to be to buy one of those soul destroying barratt/wimpey estate hell holes to raise a kid and transport it to school each day in a 4x4
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 12th May 17, 8:35 AM
    • 479 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    BBH123
    I don't think its anything to do with accomodation size but all to do with parenting.

As a parent if you have children and cannot give them outside space to let of steam then you take them to the park, beach, woods, activity centres to enjoy some fresh air and tire them out.

If you don't, can't, won't take your kids out then you show some respect to your neighbours and teach awareness to your kids and keep the noise down.

Simples
    Last edited by BBH123; 12-05-2017 at 8:47 AM.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 12th May 17, 11:18 AM
    • 5,248 Posts
    • 4,430 Thanks
    mgdavid
    In an ideal world, kids shouldnt live in flats. They need space.
    Originally posted by Judi
    so thinking it through, in an ideal world adults in flats should not breed children....?
    A salary slave no more.....
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 12th May 17, 2:53 PM
    • 3,321 Posts
    • 5,060 Thanks
    Malthusian
    The UK is pretty badly set up for kids as the norm seems to be to buy one of those soul destroying barratt/wimpey estate hell holes to raise a kid and transport it to school each day in a 4x4
    Originally posted by boliston
    We built high rise apartment blocks in the UK as well and many of them have been knocked down, thank God, because they were horrible and nobody wanted to live in them. The crucial difference between the UK and Berlin is that Berlin was under a Communist government for over 40 years, and you lived where you were told.

We could easily have the kind of giant apartment block complexes they do in Berlin, but we would need to a) badly lose a World War and have large swathes of our cities blown to bits by advancing Soviet and American forces, so that afterwards we could rebuild them in a more modernist style, and b) have 40 years of Communist government.

The paranoia suffered by British parents about kids walking to school is an unrelated issue.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 12th May 17, 8:03 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Kim kim
    In an ideal world, kids shouldnt live in flats. They need space.
    Originally posted by Judi
    I was expecting to open this thread & read an opening post along those lines. I feel sad when kids are living in flats. I think the councils should build more houses & move families to houses.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 12th May 17, 8:20 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    chesky
    I was brought up in a large Edwardian mansion block of flats which are still a common feature of London. They were incredibly well built and you couldn't hear noise from one flat to another, unlike the flimsy buildings you see today, where you can hear people sneeze next door. I'm sure most parents would LOVE to have houses with gardens but they're getting a bit thin on the ground unless you've got the odd million to spare.
    Developers should try building more cheap(ish) basic houses but they're still building three bed roomed flats, so who are they for except families?
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 12th May 17, 9:46 PM
    • 7,800 Posts
    • 26,152 Thanks
    Primrose
    Not much fun living under Airport flight path either where the engine noise starts up at 5 am and goes on until 11 pm!

You will all have lease agreements with restrictive covenants and some of them will almost certainly centre around noise levels and not disturbing the neighbours. If rules are being broken , complain in writing to your landlord or managing agents.
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 17th May 17, 5:30 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    so thinking it through, in an ideal world adults in flats should not breed children....?
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    Nope. I think that is not thinking at all.

As noted most other countries and many in our country see adults without kids and families with kids living in blocks of flats without issue. Singapore deliberately mixes up who lives side by side this to promote social cohesion- it seems to work.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 17th May 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    We lived in a flat until my child was 9. Couldn't afford otherwise. It wasn't a problem for us or the neighbours because I like to think I am considerate and brought my child up to be the same. We spent plenty of time in the park / visiting national trust places and attending swim training 4 times a week as well as dancing classes, so never bored stuck indoors.
    I really cant stand rude or inconsiderate kids. Neither can I stand adults who play loud music / bang doors or shout. There are plenty of noisy kids / adults everywhere. People need to be more considerate in all respects!
    • KrankieLad
    • By KrankieLad 17th May 17, 8:05 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KrankieLad
    I have nothing against kids living in flats, they have to live somewhere, but surely they can't just act like kids while indoors!

There's a family with one baby and one toddler, they don't live directly above us but they sure as do sound like they do. It's not all day every day thank god but it sounds like the kid is constantly jumping off furniture and running around. The parents do nothing, in fact they join in!

If the kid above us runs around or screams etc then she gets told off, but the other family do nothing.
    Originally posted by debrag
    I have the same above me. Parent dumps kids every Friday on Grandma and they spend until 8pm Sunday night running riot, screaming, shouting, jumping, banging doors etc. It's a nightmare. The people above me clearly have zero respect for anyone else living in the building.

To make matters worse the toddler stands on a table on the balcony, it's an accident waiting to happen. I moved here because initially rules where no children under the age of 10. Out of three families two have been a nightmare, the first got evicted after complaints from several other flats and recording equipment picked up the noise. The second family were bliss and the 3rd I am back in hell.

I should add it's not just weekends, happens during the week as well.

I could move but I'll probably end up with another ignorant sod!
    • KrankieLad
    • By KrankieLad 17th May 17, 8:09 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KrankieLad
    You have absolutely no right to dictate your expectations to anyone.

If you don't like it, move to a detached property.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Ha ha, I tried that before living in a flat, I called it the estate from hell. I moved to a flat because it was a kid free zone - how wrong I was!
    • KrankieLad
    • By KrankieLad 17th May 17, 8:11 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KrankieLad
    I don't think its anything to do with accomodation size but all to do with parenting.

As a parent if you have children and cannot give them outside space to let of steam then you take them to the park, beach, woods, activity centres to enjoy some fresh air and tire them out.

If you don't, can't, won't take your kids out then you show some respect to your neighbours and teach awareness to your kids and keep the noise down.

Simples
    Originally posted by BBH123
    I couldn't agree more. Parents who don't engage with their children and allow them to run riot and disturb the peace of others simply should not be parents.
    • KrankieLad
    • By KrankieLad 17th May 17, 8:12 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    KrankieLad
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    Have kids by all means but take them out to a park or swimming to tire them out, don't let them run riot for 15 hours a day disturbing others. It's called respect and it seems to be lacking in many parents today.
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 17th May 17, 9:30 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    So the issue is not where the children live, but how they behave...

And in an ideal world families would be able to afford homes with gardens.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 18th May 17, 10:25 AM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,764 Thanks
    Guest101
    Have kids by all means but take them out to a park or swimming to tire them out, don't let them run riot for 15 hours a day disturbing others. It's called respect and it seems to be lacking in many parents today.
    Originally posted by KrankieLad

Equally, you could go out? So you aren't disturbed
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 18th May 17, 12:37 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 2,929 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I think theres a fine line between kids being kids and parents letting kids get away with anything often due to laziness, at my current property I get a lot of noise from neighbours upstiars kids not because they are much different than regular kids, but the kids spend a lot of time running around on laminate so you hear when the kids knock things over or when they wake before parents in morning.

To say the problem is with the person being disturbed by the noise shows hypocricy in most cases by people who don't have to deal with it.

Theres a fine line between tolerance, and acceptable noise it seems kids are just given a free pass because people assume its just kids being kids.

I have neighbours on other side who are friendly and have young kids and you never hear the slightest noise so sound insulation isn't the case.

I always think compromise is the best, I have neighbours across the road who have kids out past 10pm, and teenagers out to around midnight but you don't hear much, I don't mind if they are indoor or outdoors

So kids playing isn't an issue its parents letting them run riot that is a problem.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 18th May 17, 1:06 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,764 Thanks
    Guest101
    I think theres a fine line between kids being kids and parents letting kids get away with anything often due to laziness, at my current property I get a lot of noise from neighbours upstiars kids not because they are much different than regular kids, but the kids spend a lot of time running around on laminate so you hear when the kids knock things over or when they wake before parents in morning.

To say the problem is with the person being disturbed by the noise shows hypocricy in most cases by people who don't have to deal with it.

Theres a fine line between tolerance, and acceptable noise it seems kids are just given a free pass because people assume its just kids being kids.

I have neighbours on other side who are friendly and have young kids and you never hear the slightest noise so sound insulation isn't the case.

I always think compromise is the best, I have neighbours across the road who have kids out past 10pm, and teenagers out to around midnight but you don't hear much, I don't mind if they are indoor or outdoors

So kids playing isn't an issue its parents letting them run riot that is a problem.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    I don't think the person getting disturbed is the problem, but they are the one that has the problem.

And the only solution that can have any meaningful level of success is to move.
    • Ponsienella
    • By Ponsienella 18th May 17, 10:55 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Ponsienella
    Wherever there are flats there are always loads of 'For sale' or 'To let' signs because of the problems caused by living in such proximity to others in inadequately soundproofed housing.

I don't think people always realise how sound travels....and people with several children probably become used to the noise level and can zone it out...whereas if you live underneath it, it's a different story.

It would be nice in an ideal world for children to live in houses with access to gardens but, failing that, it would be great if the Government, in the fullness of time, could afford to soundproof flats as they become vacant prior to being re-let.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,745Posts Today

7,539Users online

Martin's Twitter