Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 7
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 26th Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 2,015 Posts
    • 9,315 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I went to 'The Works' today...picked up a couple of little items for the Operation-Christmas-Child boxes...whilst there I noticed they have a pack of 2018 Calendar and matching Diary...lot of designs and only £3 for the two...SO I bought a couple (one with scenic views and Psalms..and one with countryside animals)...they will make excellent additions to the present box!

Also, Mum bought some new cookie-cutters from a bake-store...snowflake design....so I'm guessing Christmas baking is on her mind too!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 27th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 23,575 Posts
    • 49,345 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm enjoying this thread and looking forward to celebrating vicariously through you guys! I'll be filling my niece's advent calendar and sending cards with small gifts to friends I haven't seen for an age...but that's probably it. I shall be knee high in packing boxes, my Christmas decorations needn't be and added extra.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 7th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    Tink_04
    I've put a hold on Xmas stuff as I'm really toning it down tgis year especially as the kids are getting older (8&4) so they have stuff they choose more than just what I find. I'd rather they both had a small pile of great presents that get loved and used rather than stuff I'm charity shopping in a few months time!

We have had birthday in he last few months and there is so many toys still in the house! I'm going to do another couple of charity bags for older unused stuff then look at what is wanted and needed for Xmas as it's crazy the amount of stuff they have. We have a big family so they get loads of presents, so I'm sure we don't need to buy even a quarter of the stuff we do! I'm going for quality and use this year with a couple of wants from the Santa list and THATS IT!! We are in our new home this year with a bigger mortgage and lots of work to do to the house it's just conpleatly crazy to go mad for one day!

My health is not great and winter is really hard for me I'm hoping for relaxation and less stress!

We always go and see the pants on NYD and I'd love to have more Xmas experiences and less stuff!

Hope everyone's shopping and prepping is going well - I will come back when I have made a list!
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 7th Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 5,976 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    We always go and see the pants on NYD
    Originally posted by Tink_04
    OMG, that made me laugh, pantomimes, I assume?
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 23,575 Posts
    • 49,345 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Was looking at GH recommendations and the Favorina (Lidl brand) marzipan stollen bites are on that list. Can I hold out until December, I wonder? I promised myself a single pack of mince pies and no more this year
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 7th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Haha yes sorry Panto ������
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 8th Oct 17, 9:54 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 4,261 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Sorry I know it's late but I have just ordered two toys from Ar*os and one from Ama*on. Whoo hoo ! that makes 4 . ( one arrived earlier in the week ). I have also bought some mince pies bb date - end of Nov. They'll be lucky to get to the end of this week . Will be going to town tomorrow so will see if I can cross anything else off my list.
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 9th Oct 17, 12:09 AM
    • 822 Posts
    • 6,971 Thanks
    donnajt
    Hi All - having lost my job due to illness, I'd really like to make a little family hamper for each of my brothers and sister - money is an tight - so thinking homemade/poundland,range,home bargains etc

any ideas to start me off?
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017
    Eat out of Freezer/Cupboards
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 9th Oct 17, 5:54 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 9,074 Thanks
    Florence J
    Hi All - having lost my job due to illness, I'd really like to make a little family hamper for each of my brothers and sister - money is an tight - so thinking homemade/poundland,range,home bargains etc

Originally posted by donnajt
    Can't offer much advice myself, but wanted to say I am in a similar boat. My contract at work isn't being extended and I will be out of work on the 26th and at this moment in time I don't have anything confirmed lined up.

I am wondering whether I should suggest to my siblings we don't get each other presents this year, or impose a small budget? I just feel bad because I love getting presents for people, and I don't want them to think I don't care.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1623.56 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2953.21/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1120.95/£1120.95
    October 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4163.86
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 9th Oct 17, 6:59 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 2,445 Thanks
    I Love comps

First of all I would say, work out how much you can afford for the gifts, and also what each person likes etc.

Some ideas for you. Mini products eg in Boots they have some shampoos, bubble baths, mini toothpaste on offer at the moment . You could also buy a large box of tea bags and split one pack between each hamper. Packs of multipack chocolates too.

Good luck with making your Hampers .
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 9th Oct 17, 8:14 AM
    • 2,015 Posts
    • 9,315 Thanks
    Prinzessilein

Add charity shops to your list!....Some of my absolute favourite gifts have come from charity shops/second hand places (I collect books - out of print some of them)...last year I found a delightful wooden ornament for Mum for just a couple of pounds....for the children, books, games and jigsaws can be picked up (just check the condition...some charity shops accept jigsaws with a piece or two missing!!!!...but this will usually be labelled)

If you have 'The Works' near you, then now is the time to start hunting there.....earlier on this thread I mentioned the bargain calendars and diaries....they also have some really good books, art materials and children's games.

It is almost time for the shops to clear the shelves and place the Halloween and Bonfire specials out ...followed in early November by Christmas stuff....so right now is a good time to look for clearance bargains as shops will get rid of items cheap when clearing the shelves...Our W H Smiths have a shelf of offers on felt-tip pens and pencil-cases (left over from the Back To School shelf)

You can get a lovely selection of bath/beauty products from a Pound Store...including some decent brands....also, if there is a gardener amongst the adults you are buying for, I have been reliably informed that the Poundland gardening tools are excellent vfm!

And I will often buy a £1 pack of candy canes ...and some of the cheap chocolate coins...maybe a small Choc Santa/Snowman..and attach a couple of pieces to a cheap present for a child, it makes it look more exciting and Christmassy.
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 9th Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 822 Posts
    • 6,971 Thanks
    donnajt
    Can't offer much advice myself, but wanted to say I am in a similar boat. My contract at work isn't being extended and I will be out of work on the 26th and at this moment in time I don't have anything confirmed lined up.

I am wondering whether I should suggest to my siblings we don't get each other presents this year, or impose a small budget? I just feel bad because I love getting presents for people, and I don't want them to think I don't care.
    Originally posted by Florence J
    Hi Florence J - a couple of years back we stopped buying for siblings just bought for kids - it was all a bit ridiculous, we'd basically tell one another what to buy - there was no xmas magic , so we decided to do a secret santa and most of us keep it secret, this has been so much fun - we only spend a token amount and its amazing what little treasures you can find

I love buying for people - I did hampers a few years back (spent a lot more than I anticipated) i bought a xmas teatowel, made a xmas print- there are loads you can google and print, cheap frame from wilko, made baileys, peppermint creams, kirstie allsops fudge and chunks of bounty - I'm sure there were other bits but can't what else, oh i bought cheap wine glasses and glittered bottoms
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017
    Eat out of Freezer/Cupboards
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 9th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 11,938 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly

Originally posted by Florence J
    I would be mortified if someone I cared about was worried about buying me presents whilst in the stressful position of losing their job. I'm sure your siblings will be fine with a year off, or if you're desperate to give, then you could do something cheap and fun like a £5 Secret Santa charity shop challenge.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 10th Oct 17, 6:47 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 9,074 Thanks
    Florence J
    Good ideas people, thank you.

I know many people might not agree with this philosophy, but I've always been of the opinion that since at Christmas you have to buy presents for EVERYONE you know, then really the present budget should be smaller, and I would rather treat people more on their birthday's which is their own special day.

I also need to sort out how my OH and I are going to sort out paying for our respective families. I pay half of his sister's x mas present and birthday present budget (she was born on 27th Dec!) and 1/3 of his parents present budget along with him and his sister, and we've never really worked out what he should contribute to my families presents. To be fair his family consists of his parents and his sister, and I have a mum, dad, stepmum, 5 brothers and sisters, various sibling in laws and 4 nieces and newphews. The presents to my family are from both of us, should I be looking for half the cost back from him? We live nowhere near my family and live very near his, and they have supported us during hard times and have done so much for us, so that is why for me it is not clearly decided how much he should contribute to my families gifts.

Any suggestions?

I know some people might say what's mine is mine and what's his is his, but I love his family and I want my family to feel he feels the same about them.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1623.56 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2953.21/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1120.95/£1120.95
    October 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4163.86
    • Snorkypants
    • By Snorkypants 11th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 1,043 Thanks
    Snorkypants
    Was looking at GH recommendations and the Favorina (Lidl brand) marzipan stollen bites are on that list. Can I hold out until December, I wonder? I promised myself a single pack of mince pies and no more this year
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

We get these every year and I buy as early as possible and stash them away, we already have our pack for this year hidden in the cupboard of doom. The one year I left it until closer to Christmas to buy, they had sold out and we went without. I never chance it now.
    Emergency Fund Challenge Member #138 - £1000/£1000
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 11th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    Tink_04
    On the making cheap hampers topic I do a tea /coffee/ hot choc hamper and buy a cup - some drinks they like and some buiscuts & marshmallows - sometimes I find stuff like a little tea pot or a coaster etc too

It started when my mil used to give us all the fancy stuff she got for Xmas as she would never use it and likes the stuff she buys so we bought stuff she would like!

Children's Ines are good with a cup and hot choc - some treats or fluffy socks and maybe a cheap book or DVD for bedtime!

I don't always put them in a hamper too - sometimes a nice bag of goodies is good too!
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 11th Oct 17, 6:15 PM
    • 2,015 Posts
    • 9,315 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    The very best Stollen is, of course, the one baked by my Mum!

But, we ALWAYS book a visit to Lidl for the Favorina Stollen...it is as good a 'bought' Stollen as you will find anywhere....it is always our 'everyday' choice (we get through a LOT of Stollen over the festive season!)
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 11th Oct 17, 6:17 PM
    • 2,015 Posts
    • 9,315 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Children's Ines are good with a cup and hot choc - some treats or fluffy socks and maybe a cheap book or DVD for bedtime!
    Originally posted by Tink_04
    ....and a torch (with batteries!) form the Pound Shop....so they can read under the bedclothes!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    • 2,284 Posts
    • 33,044 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hmm Stollen - Marzipan is like Kryptonite to me Bleughhh - one of the only things I genuinely can't stand But MIL loves it and raves about Aldi's version of Stollen bites - each to their own x

I have ordered a lightup makeup mirror from Boots as they were on offer for eldest sons GF, and I am very chuffed with an old brass giant walnut shaped nutcracker from EBay for Hubby, who goes through more nutcrackers than nuts hopefully he won't break this one it's gorgeous

I am cutting back very much this year, and my adult kids will get a very much paired back Christmas - they are all earning for now, so a few treats but nothing too mad

We are doing our main meal Xmas eve, then a big breakfast Xmas day for all that want - a drink with friends at the pub at lunch time then home for cold cuts, rubbish TV and chocolate
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

Sept GC £250/£0.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,264Posts Today

7,965Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin