Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 4
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 24th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 1,104 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    ive already started planning for xmas 2017 - I have limited funds so forward planning is essential for me.
    I don't have many to buy for, and usually give the 3 teenagers of mine money - might start with gift cards to add to monthly from next weeks payday.

I have started journaling to help with my anxiety issues, so tonight/this weekend will start an xmas section!!
    suddenly found myself single ...

Debt @ 07/2016 = £17,750
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 24th Jun 17, 5:10 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 1,104 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    How are the Christmas plans going???

Chilli Jam can be made well in advance. I've used this recipe for years (although I remove the peppers, and have changed the ratio of chilli to make it spicier.)

I'm no jam maker like, but it's fairly simple and delicious with cheese! (and sandwiches, pizza, chips, mayo, salad, stir fry etc)

Zip

i can provide hotter quantities if needed! x
    Originally posted by zippychick

how far in advance do you make it Zippychick? and how long does it stay ok for?
    xx
    suddenly found myself single ...

Debt @ 07/2016 = £17,750
    • C J
    • By C J 24th Jun 17, 5:21 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    C J
    A few more Christmas stocking fillers sorted out today - a pretty earthenware/blue/white tapas dish (the sort for serving olives in) for just £2 in Home Bargains which will be perfect for my son in law who loves a bowl of olives, and a large tub of O'Keeffe's Hardworking Hands blokey hand cream as he plays guitar which apparently makes his hands dry. This was brand new and sealed in plastic package from a charity shop for just £1.

Bought a nice chunky 4 piece wooden puzzle of a bright yellow car for baby grandson's stocking, he'll only be 10 months old at Christmas but I can't resist getting him a few little gifts even though he won't have a clue what's going on. The puzzle was £2 in Tiger.

I also bought a book by the American woodworker Norm Abram for my husband, as he likes watching his New Yankee Workshop programmes on telly.

A good day's shoppin'
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 24th Jun 17, 10:59 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 3,734 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Another present bought today - my little stash is coming along nicely it's hard to buy for The kids at times as they keep changing their mind about what they are into but generic bits that come in handy like stationary or little sets are good!

Really excited as this will be our first Xmas at home just the 4 of us with me cooking Xmas lunch!! It will be so lovely for the kids to be able to stay home on Xmas morning and play with their stuff rather than get in the car for a long journey - they will be 8 & 4 so it's not fair on them and I've decided Xmas will be for us and everyone else can wait till Boxing Day.
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 25th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 9,300 Posts
    • 17,706 Thanks
    zippychick
    how far in advance do you make it Zippychick? and how long does it stay ok for?
    xx
    Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
    Flip sake i forgot the link!!!

I'm not kidding when I say i have jars years old. I make it every year for gifts. Wrap the jars in christmas paper and wee christmas stickers (pound shop)
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• nomi01
    • By nomi01 25th Jun 17, 10:38 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    nomi01
    Off on holiday tomorrow so planning on taking knitting and crafting bits.
    Want to make a start on xmas hampers for aunts/uncles/cousins. Last year, we did all handmade gifts in hand printed jute bags.
    Everything was well received ( hopefully not just being polite) and it was enjoyable to do.
    We customised each one, some spicy jams for foodies and bath bombs and candles for others.
    The kids helped too. It was fun.
    PAYDXMAS2017 #027 £5,992.05/£12000
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 26th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 2,574 Thanks
    FoxFace
    Hello lovely people

So glad to have found this thread, husband thought I was bonkers earlier when I told him I was starting the Christmas fund

I have a small weekly budget between now and 9th December and am going to start looking out for bargains

I also have a list of people I need to find presents for... no last minute, expensive scrambles around the shops this year
    Debt Free Wannabe 21.05.2017
    ~Loan 04/07/17: £5500.00/5500.00~Credit Card: £4861.51/£4590.68p
    Total Starting Debt = £11,020.01p Currently: £10,090.68p
    ~Grocery Challenge: 5 Weeks under budget/1 over~
    Click>Fox's Debt Free Diary ~ Fox's Vegan Recipes<Click
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 27th Jun 17, 5:35 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 3,734 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Got some more bits today! Claires accessories has a 3 for £5 and loads of bits in the sale so hot my daughter some stocking fillers and the works had an 80% off on kids books for got her 5 books in a jacquline Wilson box set as she has just got into these. Stashed away in my wardrobe for now until I need to get the big box out of the loft.
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 27th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,812 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm just thinking of a few things that might work...in the form of old glass jars. There was another thread that is encouraging me to save my DE coffee jars instead of giving them away, and turning them into "gratitude" jars.

Poundstertcher is also doing some really cute milk bottles pretty slogans and matching straws atm, 2 for £1, and some 1L size glass bottles with wire and ceramic stoppers for £1.49. Useful for creating alcoholic treats for the winter and much cheaper than Kilner style bottles (admittedly the seal is not on a par with Kilner).
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 28th Jun 17, 6:14 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 3,734 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Thanks I might have a look for some jars to do a couple of projects with the kids for Xmas presents!

I like getting photo frames cheap (ikea) and letting the kids paint or stick things on like sea shells etc so might see if we can do some Xmas ones maybe with glitter spray or bits for the £ shop are good!
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 28th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 32,567 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    I made pictures for my (adult) kids and their partners hampers last Christmas- a nice pic of them with their initials next to them - this one was for my youngest and his GF, didn't have a nice pic of them, so improvised (he's a red head) the frames were from the Range, very cheap, but I was pleased with the results

Last edited by Islandmaid; 30-06-2017 at 9:09 AM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

July GC £250/£0.00
    • maryb
    • By maryb 8th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 39,031 Thanks
    maryb
    At what stage will you sticky this, Zippy? I'd forgotten you had started this because it slipped down the list of current threads but there was a link to it today in a new thread.

I was actually just thinking about the big December event because I've just had my John Lewis vouchers and I save those to use in Waitrose at the end of the year, But I've switched to a Natwest account that pays 3% on utlities and I've also got a credit card that gives you 1% cashback on supermarket spends so that is all going towards goodies. The real reason I switched away from using my John Lewis card is because Natwest still supports Microsoft Money and I find it so useful to be able to download transactions easily
    Last edited by maryb; 08-07-2017 at 6:02 PM.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 11th Jul 17, 5:53 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 3,734 Thanks
    Tink_04
    More Xmas bargains purchased today! Got some bits in the Disney store sale (dressing gowns for the kids for £7.50!) some stuff picked up from Argos from the clearance and some bits from primark. Going to start skimming the bank accounts again as I'm going to need Xmas food this year which we don't normally have to buy so want to have a separate pot for this. How is everyone else getting on?
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • C J
    • By C J 11th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    C J
    Today in Poundland I saw they had small wooden crates stencilled with the word 'Garden' so I bought a couple of them to make gardening themed hampers. I also bought a few bits such as gardening twine, plant labels, plant pots and packets of flower seeds as I guess all the gardening things will be disappearing off the shelves soon.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jul 17, 6:36 PM
    • 10,753 Posts
    • 149,487 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Last week we found a gorgeous chunky wooden dustbin lorry just right for the youngest grandsons first Christmas and on Sunday at the boot fair I found a Brittains large reindeer for the elder one and a large polar bear for the younger one for 50p each, they're usually very expensive so that's a nice stocking present each too!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 14th Jul 17, 11:18 AM
    • 2,706 Posts
    • 31,474 Thanks
    mhagster
    Opinions please!

We are having a 'Christmas in July ' ( an actual thing in Australia) themed morning tea next Saturday, I want to get ahead with mince pie making as I've lots of people coming and lots to be done over next week.

Do I make them, bake them and freeze them ? Or , make them , freeze them and then bake them in the morning of tea?

Thanks
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Jul 17, 1:18 PM
    • 9,300 Posts
    • 17,706 Thanks
    zippychick
    At what stage will you sticky this, Zippy? I'd forgotten you had started this because it slipped down the list of current threads but there was a link to it today in a new thread.
    Hmmmm i just about got away with posting it never mind stickying it hehehe!!

When you have the thread open, look top right for "thread tools", then click "subscribe to this thread". Then you can receive notifications when someone posts. It's a really handy tip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    • 9,300 Posts
    • 17,706 Thanks
    zippychick
    Love the Aussie christmas!!!

I would freeze the mince pies unbaked but i'm only guessing that on my instinct!

Mince Pies may also helpdo let us know how you get on!

• vodkawitch1
    • By vodkawitch1 18th Jul 17, 5:05 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 4,631 Thanks
    vodkawitch1
    I am planning to make some fairy gardens from lantern`s and got some bits in the works today.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 30th Jul 17, 12:49 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 32,567 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Preordered my first Christmas presents today, 2 cookbooks for DS and DD, will now be buying something specific for family members each month
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

July GC £250/£0.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

529Posts Today

5,145Users online

Martin's Twitter