Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 31st May 17, 10:50 PM
    • 5,329 Posts
    • 18,457 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    The Works online store has a 25% off payday sale if anyone's interested - lots of crafty bits n pieces for making gifts.

I bought these suitcase sets last Christmas and used them as gift boxes. One suitcase with a themed set of contents from choccie lover to quiz queen.... they went down a treat.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 6th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,254 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Have just finished knitting three sweaters - one for each of the three DGSs (a 3-yr old and 1-yr old twins) - in an assortment of colours (different shades of blue, pale greens and greys) from my wool stash. There is a band of white around the body part with different coloured trucks on it and I've done these in bright colours (red, yellow, orange, green) that also came from the stash. They have an envelope style neckline with button fastenings so I'll be raiding my button tin for those; I'm hoping I can find some small buttons as well for the truck wheels. All in all, I reckon each one has cost around £2.50.

Just need to get my sewing-up head on now and I bet that will take me as long, if not longer, than the knitting part!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• springdreams
    • By springdreams 6th Jun 17, 8:03 PM
    • 3,568 Posts
    • 31,354 Thanks
    springdreams
    Have just finished knitting three sweaters - one for each of the three DGSs (a 3-yr old and 1-yr old twins) - in an assortment of colours (different shades of blue, pale greens and greys) from my wool stash. There is a band of white around the body part with different coloured trucks on it and I've done these in bright colours (red, yellow, orange, green) that also came from the stash. They have an envelope style neckline with button fastenings so I'll be raiding my button tin for those; I'm hoping I can find some small buttons as well for the truck wheels. All in all, I reckon each one has cost around £2.50.

Just need to get my sewing-up head on now and I bet that will take me as long, if not longer, than the knitting part!
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    They sound lovely
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    Originally posted by squeaky
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 6th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 27,353 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Who keeps bumping this.

BAH HUMBUG
    Watching the trail
    of cheap supermarket bags filled with a lfe gone by
    • Badrick
    • By Badrick 6th Jun 17, 9:25 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 1,604 Thanks
    Badrick
    Who keeps bumping this.

BAH HUMBUG
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    YOU DO!!!
    We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. ~Aesop
    • Triker
    • By Triker 7th Jun 17, 7:23 AM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 82,131 Thanks
    Triker
    I actually may join in with this.

I'm going to start prepping now, get some ideas and think of a plan of action.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    • 15,255 Posts
    • 123,965 Thanks
    JackieO
    a friend was clearing out her Mums house as she had gone into a nursing home and found some patterns for gloves that look really easy .The sort which are 'finger-tip free' which you can wear while driving and have a fold over flap that you pull over the tips when you get out so as I have a good stash of wool I am going to make each of my DDs a pair to go into their 'christmas' gift boxes' I have a couple of boxes in the bottom drawer of the chest in my spare room that I pop odd bits in throughout the year.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • C J
    • By C J 7th Jun 17, 10:19 AM
    • 880 Posts
    • 5,209 Thanks
    C J
    I've nearly finished the personalised cross stitch picture I am doing for my grandson's nursery. He'll only be 10 months old at Christmas.

It's this one :

I bought a lovely picture frame in light oak (to match his nursery furniture) which was brand new and sealed in a CS last weekend for just £1, and it is the perfect size.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 7th Jun 17, 4:38 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,254 Thanks
    YorksLass
    CJ - That will be a beautiful keepsake as well as being a colourful gift for your grandson.

Now working on a sweater for DD in a burgundy colour. Nice easy pattern, just right for TV knitting.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 9th Jun 17, 7:55 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 2,437 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    DB is the most difficult to buy for but in the past week I've come across a couple of quirky brilliant presents that will be well used for DB. I am now pleased to say that he is done, which just never happens. I'm really pleased by spreading out the cost I'm not going to suffer at Christmas and will have money in my pocket as usual. It really does make a difference
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 10th Jun 17, 1:44 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 32,270 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Brilliant thread thank you Zippy

As I am now a mature uni student with a part time job I want to make a few gifts this year too and, of course, have the summer off from studies to do so. I only really buy for my DD & her partner, DS and his partner and DS. Plus my parents who at 83 and 77 are quite difficult to buy for as they have most of what they want or need already at their age.

I'm thinking of doing personalised hampers for the older two children and partners with say a bottle of wine, favourite cake, biscuits, maybe a dvd for when they're off work over Christmas.... Am getting a bit stuck now but am loving the ideas on this thread and will take inspiration from anyone who wants to give it! I am a keen crocheter and have already made them all a large striped blanket each from Attic24 so that's out, and none of them particularly wear hats and gloves.....

I shall keep looking though and am glad of the nudge to get things done early
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 10th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1,959 Posts
    • 9,075 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Here we are....the start of summer...and I am embroidering a Christmas Angel...have just downloaded a pattern for knitted snowmen decorations....and am designing this years' Christmas cards!!!

A new craft shop has just opened across the way, and I popped by during the week...they had some lovely stuff and I have bought a couple of items as 'extra' gifts ( I have small drawer for little bits and bobs...bookmarks, hand made keyrings...that sort of thing)...I buy throughout the year and make sure I keep a note of what I bought for whom....because I have the world's worst memory!
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 11th Jun 17, 6:39 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 3,796 Thanks
    Tink_04
    I'd love to make something for people for Xmas - just something small to go with a small gift but I'm not very crafty, I can't knit or cross stitch - I've no idea when it comes to jams or chutneys etc and I'm not very creative!! Was wondering what did everyone 1st begin with when they were handmaking things or what is something for a total beginner?
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 11th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1,959 Posts
    • 9,075 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Oh Tink!...I'm sure you could manage something crafty!

Cross-stitch embroidery isn't hard...you get fabric with holes in, so all your stitches will automatically come out even sized...all you need to do is find the middle of your fabric and follow a pattern to tell you where to do which colour!(My first cross-stitch was cards and bookmarks)

If you have time and a little patience, knitting is not hard...if you can learn to cast on, knit every stitch of ever row, and cast off you will have learned enough to make a bag! (My first knitting was exactly this!...I learned to cast on and knit and then immediately got used to knitting two strands at the same time which means the bag is prettier and finished in super-quick time!)

Edible gifts are usually welcome...if you have a breadmaker you could do a festive bread as a gift! (Two popular ones I have done are a spiced fig and walnut...and a spiced orange and sultana)......or cookies....or fudge....

If you can paint flowers or similar, you could paint a jam jar and fill it with pens...or buttons....or beads....or sweets

Maybe if you could think of some things you would like to make...or a skill you want to learn, then people can give you some useful tips and links
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 11th Jun 17, 7:52 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 3,796 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Thank you I've been looking at other boards for some inspiration. I have children so would love to get them involved too!
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Jun 17, 8:00 PM
    • 7,011 Posts
    • 18,925 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I've form for giving mugs full of sweets to almost Everybody in the family, but this year I appear to have re-discovered assorted leftovers and stashes in expectation of, and there is At Last one box that doesn't half clink if nudged. While it'll make the Rudolph Run Loads easier, I foresee agonies of But Which Mug for whom taking up hours...
    Hurrah for your encouragement!
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 11th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 1,959 Posts
    • 9,075 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Simple crafty ideas for children?.....Let's see.....

If they can handle a needle then cross-stitch is a nice start - they could begin with wool and a wide-count fabric (say a 10 count?)....there are some nice simple bookmark patterns around.

Older children could learn to knit too!....they could bake cookies or bread....

How about salt-dough?....you want flour and salt (twice as much flour as salt) mix to a firm dough with water...knead well.....then use this dough to make shapes....you can roll it out and cut shapes with a cutter...or roll strips and plait them.....let the imagination run wild!.....if you want to make ornaments for hanging, remember to make a hole for thread/ribbon....when your shapes are ready then put them on a tray and bake/dry out in the oven at 180 centigrade (or equivalent)....you want them firm and dry - not browned or blackened!.....let them cool and you can paint them or spray with glitter....one present to make would be a candle holder...make the dough and cut out stars using a cookie cutter (if the children are young, make sure they don't try and eat the dough!!!!!!)....press a candle into the middle of each star to make a candle sized dent (or a hole if liked)....remove the candle...bake/dry the star...cool and paint in green or red ...add glitter if liked....pop the candle back in...stick some holly on if liked.

In Autumn, go pine-cone collecting....two simple things for children....one, hedgehogs for friends....buy some cheap chocolate buttons (the 'jazz' ones with sprinkles are nice, but a mix of choc and white choc will do)....clean a few nice large cones and push choc buttons into them, round and round, simple and popular!.....or for a present for aunties and grannies, make decorations with ribbon, cones, holly and candles - no real skill needed!....cones look good sprayed gold too!

Get the children to make a calendar....use a digital camera for photos, so you can just erase all the 'trial' photos and pick the 12 best ones...you can download calendars to mount the photos....if the children are artistic they could draw instead of taking photos...or do a mixture. (Make the calendars personal....football photos ...including children in the team's colours?....animal photos?....and plenty of time to arrange some summery ones, autumnal ones, winter/Christmas ones)

If you can get some pebbles or large flat stones.....paint them....varnish them...and you have a lovely, individual paperweight!
    • Nodette
    • By Nodette 11th Jun 17, 9:15 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    Nodette
    I'm part-way through knitting a pair of socks for my brother-in-law (his wife hinted that he'd like a pair for Christmas when she saw me knitting some for my DH).

I have . . . um . . . 80 meters of plastic-backed green hessian furnishing fabric . Must stop looking for bargains on ebay. I don't know WHAT I was thinking!!

Anyway, it seems like it could be a good idea to make gifts from this (for the rest of my life, probably!!) but I can't think of anything. Someone suggested table mats but, to be honest, nobody I know uses such things.

The plastic is very pliable and rubbery (doesn't rustle) and bonded to the back of the fabric. So it makes it waterproof. I washed a bit in the washing machine (cool wash) and even tentatively ironed it afterwards (fabric side, not plastic side!) and it was fine - no colour running or shrinkage, and not much wrinkling either.

So I have a bit of time to get it made into Christmas gifts.

I feel it should be very useful. For someone. Somehow. Maybe.
    Save
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 9,325 Posts
    • 17,737 Thanks
    zippychick
    How are the Christmas plans going???

Chilli Jam can be made well in advance. I've used this recipe for years (although I remove the peppers, and have changed the ratio of chilli to make it spicier.)

I'm no jam maker like, but it's fairly simple and delicious with cheese! (and sandwiches, pizza, chips, mayo, salad, stir fry etc)

Zip

i can provide hotter quantities if needed! x
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 24th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 10,927 Posts
    • 151,458 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I got grandson no1 who is 3 a Christmas present on the hottest day of the year so far.....A faux fur blanket to go on his bed with penguins on it, he fell in love with one his aunt has when he stayed with her 'cos it's so nice and snuggly Lelly!' bless!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,689Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin