Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Haggard66
    • By Haggard66 11th May 17, 12:41 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Haggard66
    Anytime Fitness Debt Collection Threats
    • 11th May 17, 12:41 AM
    Anytime Fitness Debt Collection Threats 11th May 17 at 12:41 AM
    Firstly I hope I am posting in the correct place.

Basically I signed into a 12 month agreement paying £30 a month.

After 6 or 7 months I began suffering from depression and struggled to leave the house. This meant I didn't use the gym and I kept calling in sick to work, didn't really go to work and then left my job because of it.

This meant I couldn't afford the membership anymore so I cancelled the DD.

Had a phone call this morning from a Liverpool number and the company are called Daniels Silverman, trying to chase up £502!!!

I asked for a breakdown of this and they said it was 12 x £30 (so the cost of a 12 month membership) PLUS costs inferred chasing the debt.

I think this is unfair to charge this amount because I payed for 7 or 8 months so why are they trying to claim the whole 12?

If I contacted the club and explained that I suffered from depression and thus wasn't able to work, leave the house, speak to anybody or even tell anybody about my mental health issue do you think they would be willing to cancel the debt?

I have recently began to overcome the depression and managed to acquire a job and I feel like I would be able to start training again. (Anxiety was also a factor in keeping me home bound) and I think if I rang the club and spoke to the manager they surely would be understanding and possibility just let me start paying monthly again so I can use the gym? I loved the gym but just couldn't get out of the house and this can be shown as for 2-3 weeks before I cancelled I didn't visit the gym once!

I cannot prove that I had depression as I didn't seek professional advice as my dad is a therapist and Mum a nurse. But I kept it all to myself anyway, didn't tell anybody. I simply cannot afford to pay £502 as a 19 year old lad who has suffered severely from depression and I just want to get myself back on track again in terms of my career and my personal life.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in adv.
Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 11th May 17, 7:29 AM
    • 11,528 Posts
    • 8,661 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 11th May 17, 7:29 AM
    • 11th May 17, 7:29 AM
    From the terms and conditions:

5.2 Should any membership fees not be paid within 30 days of the due date, the full membership fee for the remainder of the Commitment Period will automatically become due and payable. During any period in which membership fees are not paid Anytime Fitness may suspend your membership and deactivate your key access card so that you cannot access the Club.
    5.3 Any unpaid and overdue membership fees referred to a debt collection agency will be subject to a surcharge of no more than £30 to cover the collection costs incurred. This surcharge together with all other charges and legal fees incurred in the collection of the overdue membership fees will be your responsibility and will be legally recoverable from you.
    5.4 We may appoint a payment processing agent to receive and collect your monthly or annual direct debit instalments and in respect of payments made by direct/credit card. There will be no extra cost to you for these processing services supplied by such agent.
    5.5 We may charge a reasonable fee of up to £50 for any of the following events: replacing lost membership cards or key security card and transferring memberships and any other event which we consider fair and reasonable
    You need to check whether you've made 7 or 8 payments. If 7, then you owe 5 x 30 plus max £30 collection costs, i.e. £180.

Ask them (in writing) to give you an itemisation (in writing) of what you owe.

Don't talk to them on the phone
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 11th May 17, 11:33 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    newuser86
    • 11th May 17, 11:33 AM
    • 11th May 17, 11:33 AM
    I would call up anytime fitness direct. They will probably state you owe 5 months i.e 150 and you can speak to them to arrange payment . The other company act on behalf and will add an extortionate fee on to you.
    Ignore the company that called you and speak to the club direct, I cant believe they haven't contacted you before though , as the debt recovery company are normally last resort as they have to pay a fee to them
    • Haggard66
    • By Haggard66 8th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Haggard66
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 8th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    SOLVED

If anybody is in a similar situation and being chased by these... message me for how to deal with this.
    • Gaby Richardson
    • By Gaby Richardson 6th Sep 17, 10:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gaby Richardson
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:41 AM
    I need help with this too!
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:41 AM
    I'm in a very similar position due to health reasons, I've also recently moved house to discover I still have to stay with anytime fitness because there is one 8 miles away (I don't have a car so this is so it would take me an hour just to get there on public transport). Haggard66 I would really appreciate your advice on how to get out of this. Thank you!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,346Posts Today

7,943Users online

Martin's Twitter