Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scotty1971
    • By scotty1971 10th May 17, 11:27 PM
    • 1,679Posts
    • 443Thanks
    scotty1971
    Remapping a car
    • 10th May 17, 11:27 PM
    Remapping a car 10th May 17 at 11:27 PM
    Thinking of getting my ford grand c max 1.6tdi remapped. What are the positives and negatives of doing this?

thanks
Page 4
    • mbwoy84
    • By mbwoy84 13th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    mbwoy84
    The remap won't be traceable by insurance, so if your car had been remapped by a previous owner, unknowing to you then you have nothing to worry about.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should knowingly neglect to inform their insurance. The majority of insurance companies will only charge a very small premium increase at most for informing them as long as you're not classed as a "high risk" driver.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    • 13,466 Posts
    • 17,678 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I'm not suggesting that anyone should knowingly neglect to inform their insurance. The majority of insurance companies will only charge a very small premium increase at most for informing them as long as you're not classed as a "high ri.
    Originally posted by mbwoy84
    Itís worth pointing out that some insurance companies will not accept any modifications so worth checking before carrying any out. I have always declared remaps and tuning boxes on our cars. Based on my experience with mine and my wifeís resultant premiums, the increase is around 25%. If you are doing it simply to reduce fuel costs, this obviously need to be factored in along with the cost of the remapping itself. As I said earlier, I have never experienced any increase in mpg with cars I have had remapped or used a tuning box on.

Interestingly, a tow bar is regarded as a modification, yet I have seen premiums drop when it has been included in the mod list.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

951Posts Today

7,831Users online

Martin's Twitter