Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • danfitzjohn
    • By danfitzjohn 10th May 17, 10:57 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 2Thanks
    danfitzjohn
    Stamp duty higher rate question..
    • 10th May 17, 10:57 PM
    Stamp duty higher rate question.. 10th May 17 at 10:57 PM
    Hi all

We have recently repatriated back to Uk after 10 years overseas and are in the process of buying our first home and have recently been shocked to discover we are most likely going to legible for the higher rate of stamp duty..

We have 3 buy to let properties between us both but have never lived in them or have ever had a main residence in UK.

So given this scenario and we are buying our first 'home' in UK is it correct that yes we will have to pay the higher rate of stamp duty? What about if the properties were set up in a trust or a company?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
Page 2
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 19th May 17, 2:13 PM
    • 8,781 Posts
    • 11,615 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    Thanks everyone for your input on this. I think it's ridiculous the fact I have never owned a home to live in this country, i have invested in property as buy 2 let (and already paid stamp duty) and now I come back to live and have to pay a ridiculous amount of stamp duty on my first home!
    Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by danfitzjohn
    Other ideas? Yes: No offence but, if you don't like the rules, laws or taxation regime of any particular country you are always at liberty to live elsewhere.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 19th May 17, 7:33 PM
    • 4,397 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Hi all

We have recently repatriated back to Uk after 10 years overseas and are in the process of buying our first home and have recently been shocked to discover we are most likely going to legible for the higher rate of stamp duty..

We have 3 buy to let properties between us both but have never lived in them or have ever had a main residence in UK.

So given this scenario and we are buying our first 'home' in UK is it correct that yes we will have to pay the higher rate of stamp duty? What about if the properties were set up in a trust or a company?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
    Originally posted by danfitzjohn

The political climate/general sentiment towards property (especially holding multiple property) has changed a lot since you have been away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,912Posts Today

6,296Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin