Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FlowerGirl27
    • By FlowerGirl27 10th May 17, 8:30 AM
    • 67Posts
    • 43Thanks
    FlowerGirl27
    30 Fridays Savings Pot
    • 10th May 17, 8:30 AM
    30 Fridays Savings Pot 10th May 17 at 8:30 AM
    Here is my plan for a 30 week saving challenge.

30 Fridays from this one will take me up to 1 December which is usually when I start worrying about how I'm going to get through Christmas and the 6 or 7 week stretch from December pay day (when work kindly pays us early - thank you) to January pay day (when they pay us as usual on the last working day on the month - oh)

To change that, I will be making a deposit into my savings pot every Friday from now until then.

Those deposits will be full round pound amounts ranging from £1 to £30. I'm not going to put any rules on myself about what order to do the different amounts, to leave myself a little flexibility, to give myself the best chance to succeed. The only rule is that each of the amounts ranging from £1 - £30 must have been paid in during the course of my challenge.

I know over the next 30 weeks there will be some weeks that are tighter than others, there are going to be Fridays that are a lot further away from the next pay day than others, there are going to be some Fridays when I'll be in a bad mood and want to quit and there will be some Fridays when I really want to keep every pound possible in my purse for the upcoming weekend. So with that in mind, I am going to have to try to make the larger payments when I can, and save a few of the lowest amounts for the "bad" weeks. I also know that my enthusiasm for the challenge is going to be stronger in the early stages, so I need to take advantage of that.

I have drawn up a to do list for myself just listing 30 items, £1 - £30 and set myself a weekly reminder for Friday mornings at 7.30am, just in case I forget (or pretend to myself that I have forgotten....) and don't make my deposit.

So here I go. It sounds so simple, and in the tight weeks I may only need to worry about finding £1 or £2 so this might actually be a challenge I can complete!

If (when) I complete my challenge, it will mean I have £465 to see me through Christmas which will be a massive help.

If this works, I'm already thinking that I can turn it into a 50 Friday challenge starting first week of January 2018 and have £1,275 on 14 December next year. Christmas in the sun perhaps?! But lets just focus on one thing at a time!!

Last edited by FlowerGirl27; 10-05-2017 at 9:14 AM.
Page 3
    • FlowerGirl27
    • By FlowerGirl27 28th Aug 17, 2:13 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    FlowerGirl27
    Friday 16 - posting late as I was away for the weekend. Thankfully didn't spend as much as I had budgeted for. So lets get rid of the biggest available again - £29
    • FlowerGirl27
    • By FlowerGirl27 1st Sep 17, 7:00 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    FlowerGirl27
    Friday 17 - back on track posting on the Friday morning! Pay day yesterday so emptying my purse - £23
    • FlowerGirl27
    • By FlowerGirl27 8th Sep 17, 6:37 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    FlowerGirl27
    Friday 18 - just an average old week this week, so just an average amount - £16
    • FlowerGirl27
    • By FlowerGirl27 15th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    FlowerGirl27
    Friday 19 - bit of a tough week this week, and still a few days until pay day - £3
    • FlowerGirl27
    • By FlowerGirl27 22nd Sep 17, 8:13 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    FlowerGirl27
    Friday 20 - it felt like a tight week this week, but I got through it with £12 in my purse, so that's what went it - £12
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,212Posts Today

8,194Users online

Martin's Twitter