Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th May 17, 7:35 AM
    • 22,889Posts
    • 47,550Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Free Love thread: we're sharing the love for free
    • 10th May 17, 7:35 AM
    The Free Love thread: we're sharing the love for free 10th May 17 at 7:35 AM
    In praise of the generosity of others, I thought it would be worth sharing our free finds - stuff that has been given away by others through sheer generosity of spirit, e.g. through Freecycle, Olio, Facebook or other means. To be clear this is not about foraging and selling for a profit, it's about sharing our finds by that have been gifted without charge, purely for the chance to be loved by another. For one (wo)man's junk is another's treasure...

Whilst looking for a bookcase for myself online I came across the following being offered without charge just a couple of streets away:

It scrubbed up perfectly well in the bath, and takes pride of place amongst our toddler's toys as her "library". This a girl that says "Peppa Pig" the minute she wakes up in the morning

I'm not sure how well-used this thread is going to be, but if it encourages us to give our little-used stuff to a new and appreciative home then it's all to the good. It would be nice to know that in taking, us OSers are reciprocating in kind with a small act of kindness, but this is a matter for yourself and your conscience...

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 2
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 30th May 17, 7:55 AM
    • 22,889 Posts
    • 47,550 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Suspicious gifting
    I have been on the receiving end of some gifts from my sister lately which is quite out of character: three lots of theatre tickets and incredibly enough, yesterday evening she picked up the tab for a full tank of petrol before I'd even realised it! Very odd, as she's a real taker and hasn't stumped up for years.

I buy stuff for her and my niece all the time, which she takes but often complains about at the same time (the other day I had enough and told her what an ungrateful what-not she is). In fact I now realise she hasn't had to buy my niece a single piece of clothing or toy. She has also recently made a few references to "family money". What is she up to?

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 30th May 17, 8:50 AM
    • 12,055 Posts
    • 11,457 Thanks
    Chris25
    As i was about to go into the supermarket yesterday a lady stopped me (she was on her way out), and asked if I was going to be spending £40 or more because she had a voucher to save £5 for min spend. How kind was that? Actually I was only going for 2 small things for an elderly neighbour so i turned down the voucher after thanking her so much for asking. Hopefully someone got thenuse of it.

Originally posted by MMF007
    I got told off in Sainsburys for doing that - if I wasn't going to buy a particular item I used to leave vouchers for biscuits, cat food, tampons, whatever, by the items on the shelf for the next person to use but a member of staff told me not to do it then got the manager who said that the vouchers were specifically for me to use & were the property of Sainsbury's anyway.

I also tried to give a money off a total spend voucher to the person in front of me at the till and was told I couldn't do that. I told them she was my cousin and they said nothing more.

I got 6 pairs of matching curtains from Freecylce. I had to rip out the linings but curtains now on the line. I'm going to use them as tablecloths as we're having a big tea party with at least 8 tables, so they'll all match.

Great thread
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 30th May 17, 3:07 PM
    • 9,459 Posts
    • 102,296 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Ok this isn't a "give away" so much as a "rescue" but I'm pleased with the outcome so I shall post it anyway.

I recently had a canine guest, and setting out on our walk a couple of days ago, we found a soft toy that obviously belonged to a dog (it was in the shape of a steak, complete with bone). I picked it up off the floor and put it carefully on the adjacent wall; today I was pleased to see it being reclaimed by it's owner, a rather beautiful flat-coated retriever - apparently he insisted on taking it with him on his walk, and then dropped it in the alleyway by our place, and his owner hadn't realised.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 31st May 17, 9:47 AM
    • 22,889 Posts
    • 47,550 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    There really are some lovely people in the world!
    The lovely lady that gave me the Peppa Pig booksling contacted me out of the blue the other day, and offered me this:

Its in pride of place this morning, and the little one LOVES it! So much so, I had to drag her away from it earlier to take her to nursery.

I'm hoping to regift all her toys and clothes when she no longer needs them. Gotta spread good karma around the world

• Moorhen
    • By Moorhen 31st May 17, 2:50 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 12,957 Thanks
    Moorhen
    I have been the happy recipient of tomato, courgette and pepper plants this week.
    • CathA
    • By CathA 31st May 17, 8:49 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,122 Thanks
    CathA
    We have a dedicated site called Buy Nothing *town name ", a lot of the local towns have their own site.
    Some of the things on there are fab, washing machines, sofas, beds, toys etc. The whole purpose is everything is gifted free. I've given loads of stuff and been gifted some things as well. It's amazing.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jun 17, 12:09 AM
    • 22,889 Posts
    • 47,550 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    We have a dedicated site called Buy Nothing *town name ", a lot of the local towns have their own site.
    Some of the things on there are fab, washing machines, sofas, beds, toys etc. The whole purpose is everything is gifted free. I've given loads of stuff and been gifted some things as well. It's amazing.
    Originally posted by CathA
    I've just googled it: nothing near me, but I'd be interested in setting one up locally.

• CathA
    • By CathA 1st Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,122 Thanks
    CathA
    I've just googled it: nothing near me, but I'd be interested in setting one up locally.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

It's a Facebook site, if that's any help. X
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 22,889 Posts
    • 47,550 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    A huge and heartfelt thank you to the kind chap that offered me 17 business books through the medium of Gumtree. I was near-apoplectic with joy when I collected them yesterday!

Many of them are subjects very close to my heart. The one on coal extraction, not so much: my needs in that area were adequately covered by school chemistry lessons.

But the rest...whoopee! May the good karma long continue.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    • 22,889 Posts
    • 47,550 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Nearly a thief
    My waste-not-want-not tendency hit a new low this evening

Whilst strolling, I happened to notice a perfectly good hessian bag - the kind that retails for all of £1 - on the top of a skip in a driveway. I decanted it's contents (a boxed electrical) and prepared to take it, and then thought...what on earth am I doing? Has it really come to this? Once I woke up to the fact that it wasn't my property to rescue, I left the skip and it's contents in clear conscience. There some items that looked perfectly usable, it would be lovely if people made more use of Freecycle. I do know from personal experience what a pain it can be waiting for people that are less than reliable to collect, though.

• kaz13
    • By kaz13 13th Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    kaz13
    What did you get FREE today ?
    I am curious, what other people get and where from, that are free?
    I was in mr. S. Yesterday, and the young man on the fruit counter was collecting a lot of the plastic bags, that people had pulled out of the pack to put their loose fruit in, then left - he was collecting them up and putting them in his bin! I asked why, he said that they couldn't be re-used as they had already been pulled out - but he let me take them home to re use and said I can collect them next time I go in as well.
    So I gained 20 food/freezer bags for free
    What items do you get ?
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jun 17, 8:45 AM
    • 14,922 Posts
    • 120,884 Thanks
    JackieO
    our local council tip won't allow any 'finds' to be recycled at all.it seems a shame when you see perfectly good stuff just being chucked into landfill.I once was having to get rid of some wooden chairs up there and the chap in the car next to me said could he have them, I said yes but I'll have to give them to you outside the tip as they get quite stroppy about it (very jobsworth)So I put them back in my car drove out of the depot and gave them to him outside he was happy and so was I ,they had found a good home .
    I have seen that recycling programme on TV and its quite fascinating what the young lady does with all the old junk she 'finds' .
    Yet at our local dump the chaps there 'rescued' some garden ornaments and have them tastefully arranged around their shed where they sit and drink their tea whilst watching folk struggle to empty their cars.

I was gifted a coriander plant from my neighbour a few weeks or so ago and its grown on in a pot to something actually quite large !! think triffids I think all the rain and then lots of sun has spurred it on a bit
    We used to have a local online site called Street Life but it was taken over by something else and the whole idea of swapping or giving stuff away suddenly became a site to sell things on.I would rather find a home for it myself than sell things. Most stuff I can't find a home/use for ends up going to the CS.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 13th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 6,456 Thanks
    t14cy t
    I must admit I love to get bits for nowt! im a sucker for any free to enter competitions and so far this year my haul is, 3 tins of soup, 3 microwavable mugs, a tin of baked beans, £50 shopping voucher, bale of posh bedding for the chicken, hamper of organic chocolates, £80 pair of adjustable specs!!! I am on a few testing sites so get free products to try and then give feedback. also on survey sites where I can exchange my points for coupons, this year alone I have had £280!!! so it all adds up! I collect tokens on my dogs food and exchange them for free treats for them, dh fav butter and milk also has a points collection scheme! I love receiving free samples in the post too!! I womble at the supermarkets to collect points thrown away. each dog walk I come home with either a coin, or a treasure. last week I came home with a large onion!! happy days!!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 13th Jun 17, 8:56 AM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 29,571 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    All I managed yesterday was a couple of little packs of salt & pepper from !KEA! DD2 had taken them to use, I hasten to add, then we didn't need them as the food was already tasty enough. I'm aware they would otherwise just have been scraped into a bin, so they're in my handbag for the next time our chips need a bit more ooomph.

Need to do better today; we've just taken on a new allotment over on the other side of town, so I need to source some slabs, a shed and some fencing for free or near as dammit!
    Angie

GC 06/17: £250/£500
    BulkBuy Purse 2017:£328.40/£420

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • C J
    • By C J 13th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 855 Posts
    • 5,066 Thanks
    C J
    Free lunch at work today as I'm in a meeting over lunchtime for which they provide the catering. I might also be able to snaffle some extra food at the end on the meeting to put in my office fridge for another free lunch tomorrow.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • C J
    • By C J 13th Jun 17, 8:59 AM
    • 855 Posts
    • 5,066 Thanks
    C J
    Thiftwizard : do you have an active freecycle/freegle group near you? You should easily get paving slabs, a shed and fencing from there as people always seem to have some to give away. I usually find it is best to post a wanted ad.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • MoaningMyrtle
    • By MoaningMyrtle 13th Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    • 1,915 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    MoaningMyrtle
    Not free but I received a phone call to say I'd won a prize in a raffle. A bottle of perfume.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 22,889 Posts
    • 47,550 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I was gifted a coriander plant from my neighbour a few weeks or so ago and its grown on in a pot to something actually quite large !! think triffids I think all the rain and then lots of sun has spurred it on a bit
    Originally posted by JackieO
    You obviously have "the gift". The number of times I have tried to grow both coriander and fennel without success, you've inspired me to give it another go. Last week a kindly neighbour gave me a tomato plant and that's doing well too
    We used to have a local online site called Street Life but it was taken over by something else and the whole idea of swapping or giving stuff away suddenly became a site to sell things on.I would rather find a home for it myself than sell things.
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I agree but opted out of the successor organisation after Streetlife saw fit to sell them my personal details and they posted firstname-surname initial-name of street.

It was a good forum before but there is no way that I want my personal details disclosed. Our little street of 50 dwellings is already a tightknit community and we all look out for each other.

• kaz13
    • By kaz13 13th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    kaz13
    Very good to all of you, I got ten pieces of bubble wrap that they put in between fruit in the supermarkets, i asked the young lady and she said 'help yourself' and gave me all that he had - ir will help with bits I'm selling on eBay .
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jun 17, 5:00 PM
    • 14,922 Posts
    • 120,884 Thanks
    JackieO
    Not altogether free as I pay £10.00 per year for the loyalty card ,but I do get two cups of tea or coffee per month at my local Dobbies which would cost £5.50 so it £66.00's worth of drinks that cost me a tenner a year Handy as we have our U3A coffee morning there
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

436Posts Today

4,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin