Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happyc84
    • By happyc84 9th May 17, 8:53 PM
    • 119Posts
    • 71Thanks
    happyc84
    cyclist vs pedestrian - who has right of way
    • 9th May 17, 8:53 PM
    cyclist vs pedestrian - who has right of way 9th May 17 at 8:53 PM
    we out for a lovely scenic walk along the riverside. Path designated for both users, but tbh, at times it feels like the people who are walking are target practice for those on 2 wheels.

If only the cyclists would treat the pedestrians with the same care they expect from others. In fact to would be better if we had different paths.
    Rant over!!!

How best to solve this problem? other than poking them with a big stick.
Page 5
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 18th May 17, 7:13 PM
    • 5,856 Posts
    • 4,607 Thanks
    Norman Castle

Cyclists should pull over and give way for faster moving cars and cars should beep their horns and slow down as they approach cyclists.

I bet not many cyclists would go for that, so why do they think they have rights over pedestrians?
    Originally posted by rtho782
    Not many cyclists do think they have rights over pedestrians. If I ring my bell when behind pedestrians its to let them know I am there and a polite request to pass them. It is generally met with courtesy and a smile. If there is no room to pass I will wait until there is before ringing my bell.

I've had cars approaching at speed from behind sound their horns demanding I move then pass dangerously close. Some people are arrogant and stupid however they choose to travel.

• Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 18th May 17, 9:08 PM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    Motorists will always find something to dislike about sharing road space with cyclists. You can wear hi-vis, have lights, an audible means of warning, observe the highway code, give hand signals, ride in the gutter and generally do your level best not to impede the flow of traffic and someone will still try to flatten you or shout abuse.

In fact, my experience is that if you follow all the rules of the road, it makes very little difference to Mr Angry (or Mrs Nasty); they just don't want you there full stop.

There is no greater pleasure than knowing this
    all your base are belong to us
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,928Posts Today

8,015Users online

Martin's Twitter